+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Looking to End "Thermonuclear" Patent War With Licensing Agreements

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
According to the Dow Jones Newswires (Nasdaq) Apple could be extending a very expensive olive branch to Samsung and Motorola in an effort to end the their ongoing patent war.
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Looking to End "Thermonuclear" Patent War With Licensing Agreements

According to the Dow Jones Newswires (Nasdaq) Apple could be extending a very expensive olive branch to Samsung and Motorola in an effort to end the their ongoing patent war.

Thus far the patent war between the three companies has nothing to show except a few minor victories, massive legal expenses, and continued efforts by everyone involved to win something. But, the efforts to pull out a massive patent victory appear to be caught in a never-ending cycle of appeals and quick fixes, which only lead to more lawsuits.

To end all the craziness Apple is asking for $5 to $15 per handset licensing fee for some of its patents. This equates to between 1% and 2.5% of net sales depending on the device. Motorola has already been widely criticized for asking 2.25% in a separate FRAND licensing fiasco with Apple.

Apple would love to win a massive legal victory in a major market that forces one of its Android handset competitors to settle under less favorable terms, but that outcome looks to be increasingly unlikely. Instead Apple is willing settle for a “deal” could seemingly end the patent war between three of the largest handset providers in the world.

Licensing technologies is nothing new. Hopefully everyone involved realizes this and puts an end to senseless intellectual property battles.

Source: Nasdaq [via CNET]

Thanks

Can I get in on a percentage or two as well??? Please? That is some SERIOUS Money!!!!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Greatbiguns View Post
    Can I get in on a percentage or two as well??? Please? That is some SERIOUS Money!!!!
    They want up to 2.5% !!! the same percentage they cried over when Moto asked for 2.5% for patent infringement. hypocrites.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Greatbiguns View Post
    I'm easy. I'll take half a percent.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Apple invented the iPhone and iOS, both were an evolution.
    Companies like samsung, motorola, google and a hell of alot of other companies did everything they could to make rip offs.
    I hope apple shuts down android all together and get as much cash back off these rip off companies as they earned through doing this.

My iPhone is a Part of Me ddonuts4's Avatar
    Thanks

iPhone...
    Google - Early 2007: Oh, hey! Apple is making a phone. They are doomed to fail. Oh well we will just watch while they fail miserably.
    Google - Late 2007: Hey! I have a great idea. Let's make a touchscreen phone operating system. We will make a home screen with icons on it, have an on-screen keyboard, and a web browser. Also... it's totally not an iPhone.

iPad
    Google - Early 2010: Hey! Apple's making a tablet computer. Too bad it only runs a modified version of iOS. It's gonna suck. Oh well we will just sit back and watch while they fail miserably.
    Google - 1 year later: Hey! We have an idea! Let's make a modified version of android for tablets. We have such great ideas, don't we?

I wish companies would come up with their own ideas. Apple shouldn't have to sue them to get them to stop copying their stuff. Maybe Google should copy Facebook next. Oh wait...
    I guess this is just business... But it's also just wrong.
    Last edited by ddonuts4; 03-07-2012 at 06:10 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ddonuts4 View Post
    Google - Early 2007: Oh, hey! Apple is making a phone. They are doomed to fail. Oh well we will just watch while they fail miserably.
    Google - Late 2007: Hey! I have a great idea. Let's make a touchscreen phone operating system. We will make a home screen with icons on it, have an on-screen keyboard, and a web browser. Also... it's totally not an iPhone.
    People on here make no sense at all. As a business what are the other companies supposed to do? Just sit by the side and watch because Apple got to the market (or created it) first? That is absolutely absurd.

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 609 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Bramhall View Post
    Companies like samsung, motorola, google and a hell of alot of other companies did everything they could to make rip offs.
    I hope apple shuts down android all together and get as much cash back off these rip off companies as they earned through doing this.
    Appl£ used other peoples/companies intellectual property and came up with the iPhone. Granted they came up with different ways to tackle different issues, and invented some new things along the way, but to say they invented everything in the iPhone is very naive

edit: I don't understand why people look at Appl£ and believe they can do no wrong
    Last edited by dsg; 03-06-2012 at 09:37 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dsg For This Useful Post:

jOnGarrett (03-07-2012)

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
    Appl£ used other peoples/companies intellectual property and came up with the iPhone. Granted they came up with different ways to tackle different issues, and invented some new things along the way, but to say they invented everything in the iPhone is very naive

like inventing the first smart phone, !!cough!! !!cough!! !!!IBM Simon!!!

edit: I don't understand why people look at Appl£ and believe they can do no wrong
    Its not that people believe Apple can't do wrong, its a majority of people have no actual clue of how big business works. They don't understand how many cogs play a part in the manufacturing wheel. Unfortunately it boils down to lack of understanding.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mustard05 For This Useful Post:

dsg (03-06-2012)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    They want up to 2.5% !!! the same percentage they cried over when Moto asked for 2.5% for patent infringement. hypocrites.
    Actually if you read carefully, Motorola want 2.25%, that is 0.25% less.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Cellular's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol? you never heard of Microsoft PC tablet back in 2001 have you?

Google it lol!
    Microsoft had it first, apple copied?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Have you looked into LG Prada KE850? It came out before iPhone.
    You can confirm all this with wikipedia:
    It is THE FIRST phone to use capacitive touch screen which many iPhone owners think and claim Apple is the first.
    Uses FlashUI
    Does it look familiar???
    Will you now change your tone to "I hope Apple gets shut down and gets as much cash back to LG"?
    Last edited by unison999; 03-06-2012 at 10:46 PM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to unison999 For This Useful Post:

jOnGarrett (03-07-2012), szr (03-07-2012)

Thanks

Lg never got the touch screen to fully work!!!
    And still haven't do go back to drawing board!

Thanks
    iPhone...

iPad
    Google - Early 2010: Hey! Apple's making a tablet computer. Too bad it only runs a modified version of iOS. It's gonna suck. Oh well we will just sit back and watch while they fail miserably.
    Google - 1 year later: Hey! We have an idea! Let's make a modified version of android for tablets. We have such great ideas, don't we?

I wish companies would come up with their own ideas. Apple shouldn't have to sue them to get them to stop copying their stuff. Maybe Google should copy Facebook next. Oh wait...

You guys need to stop worshiping a crappy technology company which manipulates its users in to thinking the devices made by them are of maximum quality: iPhone 4S - .8ghz dual core (1.6ghz) 512MB RAM. HTC Sensation XE 1.5ghz dual core (3.0ghz) 768MB RAM. iPhone>£500 HTC<£500. And as for native customisation and open-ness I won't even begin. I had a 3GS for over 2 years and I now finally realise that CrApple suck.

Other companies do not just "rip off" the iPhone and iPad, they make competitive products to rival that sector. And as another person had stated, windows tablets were around in 2001 and much more powerful than the iPad. So you fanboys can suck my HTC's balls.

My iPhone is a Part of Me ddonuts4's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cellular View Post
    Lol? you never heard of Microsoft PC tablet back in 2001 have you?

Google it lol!
    Microsoft had it first, apple copied?
    Microsoft pc tablet? There's a reason that never got popular. Look at CES 2010. Tons of now tablets come out. All running windows. About a month later apple announces their tablet. It runs iOS not windows. 1 year later tablets come out running a modified android os. So it was microsofts idea?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I think its weird that this actually matters to people lol

Unless of course you're a stock holder
    Last edited by trek-life; 03-07-2012 at 09:13 AM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to trek-life For This Useful Post:

jOnGarrett (03-07-2012)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Microsoft pc tablet? There's a reason that never got popular. Look at CES 2010. Tons of now tablets come out. All running windows. About a month later apple announces their tablet. It runs iOS not windows. 1 year later tablets come out running a modified android os. So it was microsofts idea?

So it ran iOS it somehow became new technology?? Because that is what the OP intentionally point out that tablet is not new, not is it a stolen idea from Apple. If you think simply using different OS makes it new... Android tablet uses different OS so they are new why are you guys AND Apple say they are copying Apple?
    Can you guys be more consistent with your accusations?

Quote Originally Posted by scroogelives View Post
    Lg never got the touch screen to fully work!!!
    And still haven't do go back to drawing board!
    It was the first capacitive touch screen also the looks of the interface is all I am establishing.
    Technology was there introduced by LG NOT by Apple.
    And it is working, got a friend still owns one.
    It is not as smooth as the current smartphones, but it is the first and it is a couple of years old technology which makes it understandable.
    Last edited by unison999; 03-07-2012 at 09:39 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think the battles are good, it makes all these companies compete with eachother, which in the end is better for us. they fight to make better products (hopefully) and in the end the consumers will benefit from better products for lower prices. if apple didnt have competition who knows, maybe we'de be seeing the iphone 3GSBE by now .

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default funny how apple fanboy dont even know
    You must own stock from them cause Android was develop before IOS was as i recall. Apple never copy's anyone lol

24. The Following User Says Thank You to canyou6 For This Useful Post:

dsg (03-07-2012)

Green Apple
    Thanks

iPhone...

iPad

I guess this is just business... But it's also just wrong.
    What complete focking retards.
    By your logic every car manufacturer should have been sued by either Mr. Benz, Mr. Daimler, Mr Otto and Mr. Diesel and at least Mazda by Mr. Wankel or their heirs.
    You two dipshits should suck on Jobs’ balls if he was still kicking. The biggest thief of all, ripping his best friend off to the tune of thousand of dollars, which at the time was huge money. Fock Apple and their litigious ways and overpriced products. I just switched from the iPhone 4 to the Galaxy S2 LTE and while available software leaves something to be desired, not the OS itself, the hardware is much better. What the hell is up with the 3.5 inch screen these days anyway, it was designed for midgets for fock’s sake.
    I am on the market for a tablet and sure as hell it won’t be Apple.
    A dickhead hardware manufacturer tries to dictate what I can do with the product once I purchased it, ie. no jailbreaking?
    F. you Stevie boy, good riddance.