+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] ActionSlider - A Powerful Notification Center Control Panel

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 773 Posts

Default [Review] ActionSlider - A Powerful Notification Center Control Panel

Are you looking for a multi-purpose Notification Center widget that can do many things in one with deep customization and simple appearance? You might be happy to hear about a new jailbreak widget dubbed ActionSlider for Notification Center by iOS developer Merlin Mao. It's very similar to the free WeeCloseApps for Notification Center that we reviewed earlier today, only it costs 99˘ and has many more features added to it – think of it as a pro version. ActionSlider can do everything WeeCloseApps can do, but there are much more settings to choose from:

Right off the bat, you can see that instead of simply sliding to the right and left, you can also slide only the middle of the right or the middle of the left – this gives you two extra actions, which WeeCloseApps could only do two of. Not only that, but there are more actions to choose from. From the main preferences pane, you can kill any music that might be playing when you slide the widget’s slider and you can choose to dismiss Notification Center when you slide the slider as well. For each of the four slider positions, you can do any of the following actions:
    • Close app - simply closes the application you are currently in like the home button would
    • Kill app - closes and kills the application you are currently in from the App Switcher
    • Kill background - kills background applications, but not the application you're currently in
    • Kill background all - kills everything; the application you're in and everything running in the background
    • Show switcher - opens up the App Switcher
    • Wiggle switcher - puts the App Switcher into jiggle mode so you can kill applications
    • Now playing bar - opens up the App Switcher and displays the iPod controls section
    • Activate siri - launches Siri so you can query something
    • Capture screen - takes a screenshot
    • None - does nothing

Another feature that we didn't see in WeeCloseApps is the ability to white list applications. This feature will allow us to choose applications that will remain open in the App Switcher when we use ActionSlider to kill all applications running the in the background. It's handy for keeping applications like Messages and Mail running.

To invoke any of these actions, you simply launch Notification Center and use the knob, dragging it in the direction and distance of your choice. You will notice a couple of lines in the slider's appearance which mark the four locations you can drag the slider to. ActionSlider for Notification Center can be enabled or disabled at any time by dragging it in and out of Notification Center from the Notifications preferences pane in the Settings application:

ActionSlider for Notification Center works great with IntelliScreenX and other third party widgets meaning you don’t have to fret about compatibility. It fits nicely in IntelliScreenX’s top shelf so that it’s accessible only when you need it. The functions such as taking a screenshot or activating Siri are great in this widget because it takes away the need to use the iDevice’s buttons for both actions. ActionSlider requires iOS 5 since it needs Notification Center to be installed and will install CustomWidgetIcons as a dependency.

The developer promises more features to come for Actionslider, which gives us something to look forward to. I like the cosmetic appearance and intuitive interface of this widget. Everything seems to be implemented so well that I really have to recommend it for anyone who wants an easier way to access iOS functions without using any of their hardware buttons. Many of the features of the widget are great for when you have broken buttons (opening the app switcher, launching Siri, taking screenshots, etc.).

Name: ActionSlider for Notification Center
    Price: 99˘
    Version; 1.0-1
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Merlin Mao
    Editor's Rating: / 4.5/5

Sources: Merlin Mao

Thanks

Just downloaded WeeClose..i'll give it a Try & if I need more Options..i'll get this..after all it's only .$99.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

A video would be kind of nice for this before we buy it. Not to be picky, but just proof that it doesn’t lag or anything.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    A video would be kind of nice for this before we buy it. Not to be picky, but just proof that it doesn’t lag or anything.
    iDownloadBlog usually reviews all jailbreak tweaks with videos

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Thanks

This looks like a pretty useful tweak, I think I will be giving this a try.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 773 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    Try WeeCloseApps. It's practically a lite version of ActionSlider.

"The Original Modsta" _Vansmak_'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,868 Times in 1,227 Posts

As I use alot of themes I'd like to see a clear caches option.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

what is the difference between close and kill? It seem to do the same thing. I presumed that kill will close the app and remove it from background, but it does not happen.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alexasha View Post
    what is the difference between close and kill? It seem to do the same thing. I presumed that kill will close the app and remove it from background, but it does not happen.
    You are right, but the kill function does not work now. I will fix it in the next release.

Quote Originally Posted by _Vansmak_ View Post
    As I use alot of themes I'd like to see a clear caches option.
    What cache do you mean?

iPhone? More like MyPhone iMack007's Avatar
    Thanks

Very nice tweak/app, but I'd love to see it taken a stage further by either incorporating a 'free up memory' option or integrating this into the 'kill All Background'. What I've noticed is that memory still seems to be low after closing or killing 'All' background processes. The only app that seems to to this satisfactorily is SBSettings in the 'Processes' section that has has 'free memory' section.

It would be ideal to slide one notch to the right, or left for 'Kill All Background' and a further slide to simply 'Free Memory' to give us that all elusive lost RAM. That would make this app perfect for me.

Any chance the dev could incorporate such an option into the existing app?

Either way, I love the simplicity and ease of use as well as aesthetics of this app, but for me, it's lacking in just that one department.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iMack007 View Post

(...) simply 'Free Memory' to give us that all elusive lost RAM. (...)

Yes. This is definitely an important feature.

Thanks

I've WeeKillBackground Pro and ActionSlider. At this moment I think that WeeKill is better because it is pretty annoying to slide that little button of Action. Everytime that I try to kill any apps with ActionSlider it changes the page of the lockscreen (IntelliScreenX) because that button is too small.

In my opinion WeeKill is simpler for killing the background apps.
    Last edited by jtmf; 03-06-2012 at 12:46 PM.