+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] WeeCloseApps - App Closing Settings for Notification Center

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
One thing about iOS that is certainly irritating at times is the multitasking App Switcher. It’s never fun having to pull up that App Switcher to close out of every
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default [Review] WeeCloseApps - App Closing Settings for Notification Center

One thing about iOS that is certainly irritating at times is the multitasking App Switcher. It’s never fun having to pull up that App Switcher to close out of every single application that we use after we have already exited from them once. For this reason, one thing jailbreak developers have worked hard on is one-stop application killers, which are great for cleaning out the App Switcher with a single gesture.

If you’re looking for a great, customizable way to kill applications from the background using a Notification Center widget without a high cost, then iOS developer Merlin has a very pleasant surprise for you – a free widget dubbed WeeCloseApps for Notification Center. It comes with extensive settings and a very intuitive and interesting knob-based interface. Starting with the settings:

The preferences pane for WeeCloseApps for Notification Center is actually very compact, but powerful. From here you can edit how the knob in the Notification Center widget (first image in the review) will act when you slide it right or left. There are also the options to kill any music that is playing when you slide the knob and to dismiss Notification Center after you use the widget (these can be enabled or disabled by switches). The knob is capable of performing up to two actions – one each for sliding to the right or sliding to the left. The list of actions is as follows:
    • Close app - simply closes the application you are currently in like the home button would
    • Kill app - closes and kills the application you are currently in from the App Switcher
    • Kill background - kills background applications, but not the application you're currently in
    • Kill background all - kills everything; the application you're in and everything running in the background
    • None - does nothing

To invoke any of these actions, you simply launch Notification Center and use the knob, dragging it in the direction of your choice. WeeCloseApps for Notification Center can be enabled or disabled at any time by dragging it in and out of Notification Center from the Notifications preferences pane in the Settings application:

WeeCloseApps for Notification Center is fully compatible with IntelliScreenX and can be placed in the top shelf if you would like it to be there. It works with a ton of other third party widgets as well – no incompatibilities are known. It will require iOS 5 since you need Notification Center to use it and it will install CustomWidgetIcons as a dependency. There is an about section in the preferences pane for WeeCloseApps that will take you in depth of the features.

Taking the widget out for a spin ourselves, it seems to work great. Notification Center is a bit odd of a place to have a widget that closes applications from the App Switcher, but nonetheless that's what creativity is about. If WeeCloseApps for Notification Center looks useful to you, then give it a try!

Name: WeeCloseApps for Notification Center
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0-1
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Merlin
    Editor's Rating:  4/5

Sources: Cydia

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Will probably download this, since BBSettings takes a lot of ram

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Thanks
    Only weird thing is - it takes me to Spotlight Search when I "Kill All". Kind of annoying.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mbeezy81's Avatar
    Thanks

Downloaded twice, no slider showing up in notification center for some reason....

**nevermind, had to enable it in the notification center settings
    Last edited by mbeezy81; 03-03-2012 at 07:21 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Xenthis's Avatar
    Thanks

WOW- I would have thought an app like this would cost money... I will def check it out

Thanks

I also thinks its really annoying, I keep hoping that someone makes a tweak that will change it so that it automatically closes apps when exiting and only backgrounds them when holding the home button, like the backgrounder was originally, and then to close backgrounded apps you'd simply go through the multitasking pane, I'm surprised it hasn't already been tweaked that like that, I've tried but I simply don't have enough experience haha

Thanks

Nice tweak. Best part is its free
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

Thanks

Definitely something I would use, but it won't work on my iPad 2, it won't let me slide the knob left or right without stopping every millimeter(that's not exaggeration either) and when I finally get it to one side it doesn't do anything. Maybe after its fixed I'll try it again.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Just get background remove and set the activator double tap on top bar works .sure this tweak would be good but still .

Thanks

thanks for the post! i wouldn't have gotten this w/o reading the article

Thanks

I'm using weekillbackground, any difference from this?

iPhone? More like MyPhone mbeezy81's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by emerica6708 View Post
    Definitely something I would use, but it won't work on my iPad 2, it won't let me slide the knob left or right without stopping every millimeter(that's not exaggeration either) and when I finally get it to one side it doesn't do anything. Maybe after its fixed I'll try it again.
    Same here, works fine on my phone, but my iPad 2 the slider barely moves