+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] SMSmileys - Automatic Text-to-Emoji Conversion

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default [Review] SMSmileys - Automatic Text-to-Emoji Conversion

iOS 5 comes with a native emoji keyboard, which can be effortlessly enabled from the keyboard preferences in the Settings application. While easy, it still can be cumbersome having to search through your emoji keyboard for the face that you want to use. Donít you wish that just typing out a face would automatically convert to an emoji face when you sent a text message out to someone?

A new jailbreak tweak dubbed SMSmileys by iOS developer Sam Stone will convert your ;), ;D, :P, or :( faces to emojis. The list of faces that will be converted to emojis keeps going and is not limited to the four that have been aforementioned. Having the text automatically converted for you is certainly faster than having to initiate a new keyboard and search for the face you want. For that, it's safe to say that this tweak is great for saving time on the fly.

SMSmileys does not work throughout other iOS applications like the emoji keyboard will Ė it was intended only for the Messages application. Another thing to note is that there are no settings for disabling SMSmileys and this means that no matter what, your faces will be converted to emoji (until you uninstall the tweak). Emojis also will not show up on any other non-iOS device Ė this system of smileys is iOS-exclusive. Typing a :D face on an iPhone may yield an emoji, but after sending it to a different phone, that phone will use that its own system for showing faces to the reader of the text message.

All in all, the implementation for this tweak is great; it doesn't slow down your typing or slow down the messages application. It doesnít disrupt your text messages, it makes things more fun, and best of all itís free! If you want to send emojis to your friends without the hassle of enabling and using the iOS 5 emoji keyboard (or even worse: using an application for a non-iOS 5 device), then I highly recommend SMSmileys to you. Check it out!

Name: SMSmileys
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0-5
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Sam Stone
    Editor's Rating:  4/5

Sources: Sam Stone

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This can be done easily from Shortcuts under keyboard without having to install this. I guess it saves time if someone doesnt want to do it manually.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I can't find it in Cydia...

Nvm, caps sensitive...

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jcbzr View Post
    I can't find it in Cydia...
    Refresh Cydia from the Changes tab.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    One thing to note is that it does not work with IntelliScreenX/Messages+ quick reply/quick compose feature. It's an awesome tweak and I've wanted something like this for a long time. Maybe it will be supported in a future update from either three of these applications.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Charblee View Post
    One thing to note is that it does not work with IntelliScreenX/Messages+ quick reply/quick compose feature. It's an awesome tweak and I've wanted something like this for a long time. Maybe it will be supported in a future update from either three of these applications.
    If you want to do it manually the Shortcuts work everywhere. Once done disable Emoji keyboard.

iPhone? More like MyPhone evolution83's Avatar
    Thanks

One of the reasons I like this feature is because it's implemented in biteSMS and iRealSMS. I wish it was a standard feature of iOS. Since I'm refraining from using either bite or iReal (resource hogs), I will find this very useful.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

No such thing in Cydia mate

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by evolution83 View Post
    One of the reasons I like this feature is because it's implemented in biteSMS and iRealSMS. I wish it was a standard feature of iOS. Since I'm refraining from using either bite or iReal (resource hogs), I will find this very useful.
    biteSMS is a resource hog? i've never had a problem with it on my 3GS nor my 4S

My iPhone is a Part of Me ddonuts4's Avatar
    Thanks

Clever idea but what happens when you text someone who has a phone without emojii? All they will see is some weird code crap when you try to say =P

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

It doesn't seem to be working for me; whenever I send out an emoji via code ( , , , etc) it turns into the icon on my screen, but it does not get sent through as an icon to the recipient.
    Do I need to have Emoji as one of my keyboards? Does this work through BiteSMS? Through BiteSMS, do I set the smileys as Emoji or ASCII?
    Help would be appreciated!
    Last edited by Jcbzr; 03-04-2012 at 11:44 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone gcastro723's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jcbzr View Post
    It doesn't seem to be working for me; whenever I send out an emoji via code ( , , , etc) it turns into the icon on my screen, but it does not get sent through as an icon to the recipient.
    Do I need to have Emoji as one of my keyboards? Does this work through BiteSMS? Through BiteSMS, do I set the smileys as Emoji or ASCII?
    Help would be appreciated!
    Its a visual thing, it doesn't send the icon, its just so its more visually appealing than simple ascii text
    If you can see this you are one of the many people who can see this.