Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New iOS App Provides 24/7 Access to Registered Nurses

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default New iOS App Provides 24/7 Access to Registered Nurses

It looks like our iPhones aren't only making our lives more convenient, they're also just what the doctor ordered for our health. Or, maybe in this case, what the nurse ordered.

UnitedHealthcare is releasing a new iOS app called Health4Me. Although an Android version is planned for later in the year, it's an iOS exclusive for now. Health4Me is touted as being a valuable app that brings important health information for people on the go. And best of all, it's free to participating members.

"The free mobile app provides millions of UnitedHealthcare employer plan participants 24/7 access to a registered nurse, enables them to locate a nearby in-network physician, hospital or other medical facility, and gives access to their personal health benefits information."
    Let's focus in on the coolest part of the app - the access to a registered nurse. According to the app maker, users can contact a registered nurse 24/7 for information regarding any kind of medical topic.

“Health4Me makes navigating health care easier for our 26 million plan participants and puts key information, including health and wellness tools, right in the palms of their hands,” says Jeff Alter, CEO of UnitedHealthcare Employer & Individual. “Today’s technology allows consumers to do more with their mobile devices, and Health4Me enables them to manage their health and interact with UnitedHealthcare in a way that is convenient for them.”

To learn more about this dynamic mHealth app, click here.

Source: UnitedHealthcare

I see so many pranks being made of out this. "prank nurses" replacing "prank calls"

Cool app tho!

Well this would be great I am liking this app already

Thanks

This is a weird app, handy tho
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

As a nurse, I would not want to participate. RNs cannot diagnose or give medical advice- its outside their scope of practice. This would seem to open the door to more lawsuits if a nurse on this app says, "doesn't sound serious" and it ends up being something more life threatening. I'm sure you can get around this with disclaimers, but in today's world, RNs already get sued enough... Along with every other healthcare professional.

Just my cents.

Blue Shield FTW! United Health Care is horrible as an insurer. I hear nothing but horrendous tales from co workers on how they deny everything, cutting off access to those who really need it. Ridiculous that they are spending their time with fluff like apps, when they need to fix the way they do business and treat people as a whole.

iPhone? More like MyPhone badass1469's Avatar
    Thanks

lol this app is useless to me, cuz my mom is an rn so i just send a txt. ;]

Quote Originally Posted by HomieG35 View Post
    As a nurse, I would not want to participate. RNs cannot diagnose or give medical advice- its outside their scope of practice. This would seem to open the door to more lawsuits if a nurse on this app says, "doesn't sound serious" and it ends up being something more life threatening. I'm sure you can get around this with disclaimers, but in today's world, RNs already get sued enough... Along with every other healthcare professional.

Just my cents.
    I am also a nurse and agree to a point. We can not diagnose but we can ask questions and follow protocols. Just like in the Army..... Ask first s/s find it in a book. Ask next question and go down the tree until the answer is revealed (typically go see the Dr. LoL). I think it's a good idea but the general public is pretty ignorant when it comes to their own bodies and the poor nurses on the other end of the line are going to get a million "I haven't pooped today what should I do" questions.

Default 100% Agreed!
    Quote Originally Posted by HomieG35 View Post

Just my cents.
    It is out of our scope of practice to perform many things in a clinical setting- I work in emergency medicine. With that said, the only response we will give is the same one given to a patient when they call their PCP: go to your closest ER. We are being sued and have entire divisions in place who review our charting. What umbrella would cover us from lawsuits etc? Though we receive countless patients everyday, who coud have found their remedy at CVS, EMTALA does not permit us to tell them anything other than "please wait to be seen" after we triage. The app is too open to issues and liabilities.

I'm sure united health care well keep close tabs on everything you ask so if later down the road you get seriously sick like cancer, ect. They will use it against you so they can get out of covering you. Med insurance companies are shady....

Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
    I am also a nurse and agree to a point. We can not diagnose but we can ask questions and follow protocols. Just like in the Army..... Ask first s/s find it in a book. Ask next question and go down the tree until the answer is revealed (typically go see the Dr. LoL). I think it's a good idea but the general public is pretty ignorant when it comes to their own bodies and the poor nurses on the other end of the line are going to get a million "I haven't pooped today what should I do" questions.
    Its fine and dandy to follow protocols set in place. It's one thing to see and talk with someone in person when following these to use clinical judgement/critical thinking - it's something different over the phone or through texting. Why would an RN open themselves to more liability with this app?

At the end of the day you have a license to protect and I guaranty you the app maker, insurance company, the MD name under the protocol, or anyone else is NOT going to sit in court and defend you, except for you.

Had a friend of friend text me a few months ago having to do with heavy drinking and someone hitting their head and wondering if it was OK if they fell asleep. I texted back I couldn't help and to go to the ER right away... and then went back to my movie and sammich.