+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] NCSwipe - Notification Center-Based Swipe Controls

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Coming to the scene in an attempt to make controlling our iDevices simpler is a jailbreak widget dubbed NCSwipe by Ron Melkhior . The widget is intended to be a
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default [Review] NCSwipe - Notification Center-Based Swipe Controls

Coming to the scene in an attempt to make controlling our iDevices simpler is a jailbreak widget dubbed NCSwipe by Ron Melkhior. The widget is intended to be a control center for iOS located in Notification Center. This permits you to use Notification Center to perform actions such as respring, control volume, control brightness, play and pause music, and much more. Obviously, this is more convenient to do than scavenge through applications to do these things.

Everything starts with pre-judgment. After first-looks, the cosmetic appearance of the widget is frankly disturbing and doesn’t feel like it has any place in Notification Center. Strangely enough, even though the icon in the widget gives the appearance that it can be swiped in all four directions, NCSwipe only has settings for swiping right and left. I was unable to get NCSwipe to work until I uninstalled IntelliScreenX – pointing out an obvious incompatibility and a large one at that.

The preferences for NCSwipe are rather simple, however they are also extensive. Beginning with the first pane, we can choose to enable or disable gestures for swiping left and right or for tapping the widget. Below the switches are areas that we can actually select what we want NCSwipe to do subsequent to invoking the gestures. Tapping on one of them brings up the long list of options we can make that gesture do:

Many of the features that we discover in this section of NCSwipe’s settings are things that we can find SBSettings toggles for. You can enable more than one of these features per NCSwipe action that you invoke from the widget. For instance, if you turn on both increase brightness and increase volume for swiping to the right, then both the brightness and volume will increase when you swipe right. The whole list of features is as follows:
    • Respring
    • Reboot
    • Open URL
    • Toggle Wi-Fi
    • Increase volume
    • Decrease volume
    • Toggle mute
    • Increase brightness
    • Decrease brightness
    • Toggle airplane mode
    • Toggle music
    • Next track
    • Previous track
    • Lock device

While it seems to work fine, the appearance of the widget has a lot to be desired, which makes the whole point in using it nearly pointless for many. Someone will find the functionality to be beneficial to them, but with growing popularity for Siri extensions and great toggle platforms such as SBSettings and IntelliScreenX, I find this class of control for iOS to be unnecessary. In addition, Notification Center can only handle so many widgets before it starts to slug down and lag, so widgets should be chosen selectively and carefully.

NCSwipe requires iOS 5 and will install a dependency called WeeLoader. You can enable and disable the widget at any time, like all widgets, by going to the Notifications preferences in the Settings application and dragging the widget in and out of Notification Center. NCSwipe is free, so give it a try.

Name: NCSwipe for Notification Center
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0.0-1
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Ron Melkhior
    Editor's Rating:  3/5

Sources: Ron Melkhior
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 02-25-2012 at 02:13 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I tried this tweak out and it's pretty cool but I quickly uninstalled it because I thought the gestures would be through activator and they weren't. Even for a free tweak, its pretty cool.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 884 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Long iPod is long.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post
    Long iPod is long.
    Want one?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 884 Posts

Want one?
    Not sure my pockets are big enough

Green Apple
    Thanks

I already have a tweak like this.

Why can't I upload pics to show you guys.

Thanks

I think it would be better without the ugly image in the middle and Activator integration.

Thanks

SBSettings does about half of these things, looks good (well, if you have a nice theme for it) and is as easy to open as NC- I just swipe my Status Bar and it opens. Just don't see a need for this.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,250 Times in 186 Posts

I was unable to get NCSwipe to work until I uninstalled IntelliScreenX pointing out an obvious incompatibility and a large one at that.
    Then why does the first screenshot show it working with intelliscreenx?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Good review, I think I'll be sticking clear of this addition.

As the other members have already stated SBSettings does half of these already, music controls can be achieved by double tapping the he button (just as quick).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kooris View Post
    Then why does the first screenshot show it working with intelliscreenx?
    It doesn't. The gestures don't work, but the interface still shows.