+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: German iOS Users Lose Push E-Mail as Motorola Awarded Injunction Against Apple

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Earlier today Apple turned off its iCloud and MobileMe push e-mail services for users in Germany in compliance with an injunction brought against Apple by Motorola Mobility. German iCloud and
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default German iOS Users Lose Push E-Mail as Motorola Awarded Injunction Against Apple

Earlier today Apple turned off its iCloud and MobileMe push e-mail services for users in Germany in compliance with an injunction brought against Apple by Motorola Mobility.

German iCloud and MobileMe users can still receive emails, but only when they have the Mail app open or when the app is set to check for e-mail (welcome back to 2009). Normally users have the choice of setting e-mails to be pushed out to their iDevices, but these services will only be available through Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync and similar services.

Apple is already appealing the decision. The patent in question dates back to the pager-era of mobile technology and has little to do with modern mobile technology according to Florian Mueller of FOSS Patents. So far Apple has been relatively unscathed in the ongoing patent war, but Mueller points out this injunction changes that.
    “This is the first time that Apple's customers (in one particular country) start to see and feel the effects of the ongoing patent disputes in the smartphone and tablet computer industry in the form of a (temporary) removal of certain functionality.” — Mueller
    Apple has recommended German iDevice owners set up their Mail apps to retrieve new emails rather than wait for them to be pushed to their devices. Considering how fast the courts move, German iOS users should prepare for an extended period without push-email.

Source: FOSS Patents [ via PC World]
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 02-24-2012 at 07:14 PM.

*T*
    Thanks

Given how SLOW the courts move, you mean.

Banned
    Thanks

Now that apple users are feeling the effect of these tit-for-tat lawsuits maybe apple will rethink its strategy of trying to monopolize the market and drive off competition with litigation instead of innovation.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    Now that apple users are feeling the effect of these tit-for-tat lawsuits maybe apple will rethink its strategy of trying to monopolize the market and drive off competition with litigation instead of innovation.
    Apple will not, the mobile market is to competitive at the moment for apple to do such a thing.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Eh, i'd say Apple has been been pretty innovative, as well as other companies have. Litigation has been a tool in business for years now, Apple isn't the first and wont be the last to use it to get/stay ahead.

Thanks

And not one of the people who always comment about how evil Apple is will say the same thing about Motorola.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Do they think i will buy a Motorola cell phone if they win all this injunctions against apple!? I will never buy a Motorola cell phone, even if they are the last cell phone manufacturer in the world! The same for Samsung... Nice looking plastic waste!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

One word - daft

Thanks

It's a poor attempt by an dying company! Prob hoping someone will get tired of them and buy them out!

Thanks

Too bad Apple didn't use some of that $80Billion to outbid Google for the Motorola Mobility Patent Portfolio. Even the latest Moto Droid RAZR won't have nearly the impact the original flip phone RAZR did 8ish years ago. Goodbye Moto…

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Considering
    Quote Originally Posted by rote79 View Post
    Do they think i will buy a Motorola cell phone if they win all this injunctions against apple!? I will never buy a Motorola cell phone, even if they are the last cell phone manufacturer in the world! The same for Samsung... Nice looking plastic waste!
    Samsung makes almost all the part of an iPhone, you kind of are buying a Samsung phone

iPhone? More like MyPhone GooseG's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ill_graphics View Post
    Samsung makes almost all the part of an iPhone, you kind of are buying a Samsung phone
    Just because they make the parts doesn't mean it's their phone. They didn't design any of it.

Thanks

Um, actually, Motorola makes pretty decent products remember the "brick"(cell phone)? Motorola pagers, man that's something that we can't forget! And eh, yeah, it's the past and all and those were probably good times as well for them, but this now with Motorola -v- apple this is just stupid. Greed... Humph...I'm like Rodney king,"can't we just all get along"? Lol!!

And furthermore, wasn't the first apple application on a the Motorola razr? Is this what it's all about?
    Last edited by Kenn@rd.; 02-25-2012 at 09:19 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn@rd. View Post
    Um, actually, Motorola makes pretty decent products remember the "brick"(cell phone)? Motorola pagers, man that's something that we can't forget! And eh, yeah, it's the past and all and those were probably good times as well for them, but this now with Motorola -v- apple this is just stupid. Greed... Humph...I'm like Rodney king,"can't we just all get along"? Lol!!

And furthermore, wasn't the first apple application on a the Motorola razr? Is this what it's all about?
    Maybe they are pissed cause they never made the iPhone lol

Banned
    Thanks

and a phone made of glass is better when said phone

- shatters into a thousand pieces when dropped from waist high
    - lacks 4G speeds
    - has ZERO expansion slots
    - has an underclocked CPU
    - inferior sound quality
    - tiny screen
    - an extremely high rate of app crashes
    - battery issues
    - antennae issues
    - missing SIM issues

and so much more. modmyi = mod your iphone to make it work more like an Android phone.

Quote Originally Posted by GooseG View Post
    Just because they make the parts doesn't mean it's their phone. They didn't design any of it.
    apple did not design the chip and apple did not design the display and capacitive touch is an invention of LG. but none of that really matters. the only thing that does is do you like your phone.
    Last edited by jOnGarrett; 02-25-2012 at 09:33 AM.

Thanks

- lacks 4G speeds
    - inferior sound quality
    - tiny screen
    - battery issues
    - antennae issues
    - missing SIM issues

and so much more. modmyi = mod your iphone to make it work more like an Android phone.

apple did not design the chip and apple did not design the display and capacitive touch is an invention of LG. but none of that really matters. the only thing that does is do you like your phone.
    Lol, you guys are so bothered by other people's decisions to purchase what they want. That's really what this all comes down to.

Green Apple
    Thanks

- lacks 4G speeds
    - inferior sound quality
    - tiny screen
    - battery issues
    - antennae issues
    - missing SIM issues

And guess what, iPhone is still the number one smart phone in the world . There is a reason for that. If you hate iPhone so much than go away to the android forums

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trek-life View Post
    Lol, you guys are so bothered by other people's decisions to purchase what they want. That's really what this all comes down to.
    No, people are upset about the moronic ways others try to justify what they bought.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

When Motorola gets injunction on Apple stealing 3G technology, Apple is forced to finally pay to use their invention. Every phone you buy that uses 3G technology you will finally be paying Motorola something. So even if they do not manufacture cell phone you are giving Motorola money. I guess you look carefully when you buy iPad 3 because Samsung is one of the company that supplies LCD screen for that, because obviously you do not want to buy one with Samsung screen and rather have some less reputable manufacturer of the retina display because Samsung is nice looking plastic waste right?

It is funny how people react when the shoes is on the other foot, no problem with Apple filing lawsuitsssss (that is not enough s to show how many lawsuits Apple is filing) against others and win but when Apple is caught stealing they protect a thief.

Aren't you wondering why Apple has yet to go into "4G/LTE"? My guess is they have yet to obtain the licensing rights, and everyone who has a stake in this is looking at Apple closely. As soon as Apple releases one they will make sure they get paid or file injunction before the phone gets released.
    Last edited by unison999; 02-25-2012 at 12:43 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy
    No, people are upset about the moronic ways others try to justify what they bought.
    Eh, it's what THEY bought, I still don't see the point. I always thought it took far more energy than necessary to dislike something. It's your head, ear, fingers, hand, eyes, if you want a Samsung phone, feel free. If you think that it's better AWESOME! I chose and iPhone...there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    When Motorola gets injunction on Apple stealing 3G technology, Apple is forced to finally pay to use their invention. Every phone you buy that uses 3G technology you will finally be paying Motorola something. So even if they do not manufacture cell phone you are giving Motorola money. I guess you look carefully when you buy iPad 3 because Samsung is one of the company that supplies LCD screen for that, because obviously you do not want to buy one with Samsung screen and rather have some less reputable manufacturer of the retina display because Samsung is nice looking plastic waste right?

It is funny how people react when the shoes is on the other foot, no problem with Apple filing lawsuitsssss (that is not enough s to show how many lawsuits Apple is filing) against others and win but when Apple is caught stealing they protect a thief.

Aren't you wondering why Apple has yet to go into "4G/LTE"? My guess is they have yet to obtain the licensing rights, and everyone who has a stake in this is looking at Apple closely. As soon as Apple releases one they will make sure they get paid or file injunction before the phone gets released.
    AAA makes t-shirts, Polo buys those shirts and puts logos on them that people demand. Polo then comes up with an idea to make the t-shirt a different way. Gives specs to AAA and AAA produces them. How is that a knock on Polo or a + to AAA? I dont' get you guy's point with the parts supplier thing. That has nothing to do with anything.

Oddly enough, the number of people responding on behalf apple in these post is almost 10 times less. Considering that, most iPhone users aren't really "reacting" at as much at all.

Your "guess" could be accurate, but its hardly anything to hinge any reasoning upon. The fact is that patents at this stage are extremely tricky and they are powerful points of contention in this business. People tend to say, "take that Apple for starting this war." But no one takes the time to look back and realize that this is something that's been going on far longer than apple.