+ Reply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Judge Rules Against AT&T in Data Throttling Case

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by iamse7en Can anyone else confirm that 3G Unrestrictor can bypass AT&T's throttling? This doesn't seem possible. I never said it bypasses AT&T's throttling. I said it unrestricts
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iamse7en View Post
    Can anyone else confirm that 3G Unrestrictor can bypass AT&T's throttling? This doesn't seem possible.
    I never said it bypasses AT&T's throttling. I said it unrestricts the flow of data that cellular companies impose on each standard. That's why you can make FaceTime calls on 3G and also why YouTube videos show in hd quality when unrestricted with those apps. It essentially makes your phone believe its on wifi and thus receives data as if your phone was a wifi card as opposed to a mobile phone. Idk if I'm explaining it well. Just try it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iamse7en's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dadoria2 View Post
    I never said it bypasses AT&T's throttling. I said it unrestricts the flow of data that cellular companies impose on each standard. That's why you can make FaceTime calls on 3G and also why YouTube videos show in hd quality when unrestricted with those apps. It essentially makes your phone believe its on wifi and thus receives data as if your phone was a wifi card as opposed to a mobile phone. Idk if I'm explaining it well. Just try it.
    I don't have throttled speeds, so I can't try it. But what you're basically saying is that you can get "pretty good" speeds on a throttled phone if you activate 3g unrestrictor for say, Netflix app... hence you are "bypassing" the throttling right? In other words, if you didn't activate 3G Unrestrictor for netflix on a throttled phone, it would be very slow. Ironically, I just got a text 5 minutes ago that I've hit the 3GB limit, and that if I go above that in future billing cycles, I will be throttled.
    Last edited by iamse7en; 03-08-2012 at 09:38 AM.
    iPhone 4S 5.x | Mac OS 10.7.x

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I don't have throttled speeds, so I can't try it. But what you're basically saying is that you can get "pretty good" speeds on a throttled phone if you activate 3g unrestrictor for say, Netflix app... hence you are "bypassing" the throttling right? In other words, if you didn't activate 3G Unrestrictor for netflix on a throttled phone, it would be very slow. Ironically, I just got a text 5 minutes ago that I've hit the 3GB limit, and that if I go above that in future billing cycles, I will be throttled.
    3g unrestrictor only fools the application into thinking that you are on WiFi. It has nothing to do with your carrier. For example: native YouTube app is coded to stream low quality videos from YouTube when you are on 3g network and high quality while on WiFi. 3g unrestrictor fools it into thinking that your device is connected to wifi when its not thus it streams high quality videos.

PS to my knowledge it has no effect on Netfilx what so ever.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Any updates if anyone else has attempted this? I hate to bump a five day old thread but I'm curious.

+ Reply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345