+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] AssistantLove - Powerful Siri Extensions

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
While there are countless people out there who appreciate what Siri has been able to bring to the iPhone in terms of functionality, there are always those of us who
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 765 Posts

Default [Review] AssistantLove - Powerful Siri Extensions

While there are countless people out there who appreciate what Siri has been able to bring to the iPhone in terms of functionality, there are always those of us who feel that her competences could be brought to the next level. Agreeing with this philosophy is iOS developer John Coates, who created a new jailbreak tweak dubbed AssistantLove to make Siri more suitable under very regular circumstances.

AssistantLove can be enabled and disabled on demand, as well as each of its individual features. AssistantLove makes it achievable for you to use a third party GPS application to ask Siri for directions – Siri will then launch your third party GPS application with your directions query all loaded up for you and ready to give you turn-by-turn navigation. John tells me that the TomTom, Waze, and Motion-X GPS applications work with AssistantLove and that support for Motion-X GPS Drive and Navigon will be released very soon. All you need to do is invoke Siri and ask something along the lines of, "How do I get to Sacramento, California?":

TomTom™ used in the image above. Note: If you don't have a GPS application, the GPS section in settings will be grayed out.

AssistantLove does much more than allow Siri to give you turn-by-turn directions based on a query, but it also gives Siri Spotify integration. Yes, finally we can use Siri to have a song start playing in Spotify instead of the Music application – I have personally been waiting for this functionality myself for a very long time and it works great! You simply invoke Siri and say something like, “Play ‘Rise Against’.” Siri will then launch Spotify with the artist or song that you queried all loaded up and it will even start playing all by itself:

The final part of AssistantLove has to do with allowing you to launch applications. By default, if you sought to launch the Cydia application for instance (after installing AssistantLove), you would invoke Siri say something along the lines of, “Launch Cydia” and the Cydia application would proceed to launch. While that’s a decent feature, John took AssistantLove a step further and made it so that you can launch applications under aliases. What this means is if you assign the alias ‘best app ever’ to the Cydia application for instance, then saying something along the lines of, “Launch best app ever’ would open the Cydia application. You can assign any application any alias that you desire to. AssistantLove will understand you:

AssistantLove includes features such as toggling Wi-Fi on and off, toggling Bluetooth on and off, enabling your iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S LED flashlight feature, and even toggling mono-audio on and off. The developer promises that many more features are to come and if there is ever a feature that you want to see, you can create a feature request right through the Settings application.

AssistantLove is absolutely one of the better Siri extensions that I’ve ever used. The Spotify integration sold me on it instantaneously, however the addition of GPS turn-by-turn technology with Siri just makes things even better. If you’re on the road, you want to be able to just invoke Siri and make her do the work for you – especially if you’re misplaced and driving. The GPS feature does not work with the Maps application and frankly, Google Maps is horrendous for giving directions. I highly recommend AssistantLove for Siri users – it will work with Spire too and requires iOS 5.

Name: AssistantLove
    Price: $1.99
    Version: 1.1.0-2
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: John Coates
    Editor's Rating:  5/5

Sources: John Coates
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 02-24-2012 at 09:03 PM.

rcm
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Great app ,I wonder how long until someone makes an app that gives siri a face?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Does it work with Spire?

Thanks

Hey live near Sacramento

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by psko View Post
    Does it work with Spire?
    The article clarifies that.

iPhone? More like MyPhone rukavuda's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    The article clarifies that.
    i take it the map extensions wont work in the uk ?
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/9020/gagaxq.jpg

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rukavuda View Post
    i take it the map extensions wont work in the uk ?
    No reason why it wouldn't if it uses a 3rd party gps app to give the directions.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It should be worth noting, for users outside of the US, asking for directions (even with an external GPS) application won't work. You just get the message about not being able to look up business and maps outside of the US.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

How's the compatibility with other Siri extension packages (i.e., SiriToggles and AssistantExtensions)?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eballesq View Post
    How's the compatibility with other Siri extension packages (i.e., SiriToggles and AssistantExtensions)?
    Works great.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tucnepo's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eballesq View Post
    Why do you keep siriextention and Siritoggle when you have that!!!

What's Jailbreak? Lydia O Lydia's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigliquid530 View Post
    Hey live near Sacramento

Hey, +1...

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tucnepo View Post
    Why do you keep siriextention and Siritoggle when you have that!!!
    Well, I guess in a way, that was my question. I bought AssistantLove and uninstalled the other two. Seems pretty cool -- particularly the integration with Tom Tom.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Heartily recommended. This is greatly superior to MyAssistant, especially if you have a navigation app. Works great with navigon - you say 'give me directions to x' and Siri promptly opens Navigon with the directions.

Also, the alias feature is spot on - mystifyingly, myassistant removed that feature in the latest update. Anyway, for a grand total of 2.99 (.99 for myassistant and 1.99 for assistsantlove) I'm perfectly satisfied owning both. Right now assistantlove is way ahead b/c of the ability to voice-activate directions but I'll keep tabs on both. Certainly they're both a huge improvement on stock Siri.

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

Anyone notice a drop in RAM and/or performance with this tweak installed?

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I like that it works with TomTom and other 3rd party navigation apps, that's most excellent!

Thanks

I don't see it in cydia

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I've been fighting this app for many months - It simply refuses to work any longer. I've tried everything, I've removed all of my addons, and it still refuses to find any of my apps when I use my aliases. It's as if there are no apps at all in my phone. It seems to have started when I ran iCleaner one day, which I had done several times with no ill effects. Several emails to the author have resulted in him totally ignoring my emails.

This pi$$es me off very much thank you, it was my most use addon.