+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] iUnlock - Unlock Animations and Sounds

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 770 Posts

Default [Review] iUnlock - Unlock Animations and Sounds

When we unlock our iDevices, we are used to seeing the same regular animation and hearing the same regular sound on all of them. If you have ever been in the mood to give that animation and unlock sound a little tweaking, then there is a new jailbreak tweak that will suit your needs. Dubbed iUnock by iOS developer Ma Jun, you can set a custom unlock sound as well as an unlock animation of your choice.

Not only can you select the animation that will brighten up your iDevice unlocking, however you can also customize the animation by adjusting the speed of it with a slider that can be found in iUnlock’s settings window. By default, the slider is set to 0.5 seconds – the length of time that it will take to complete the animation. You can also enable and disable your custom animations on demand with a switch.

The list of animations is extensive, generating nearly no lag whatsoever (some worse than others). The animations will certainly brighten any iDevice's entertainment value for its owner and the sounds accompanying the unlock animations are also extensive. The animations that you can choose from are listed below and you can view them all from the video following the list:
    1. Random
    2. Fade
    3. Suck
    4. Ripple
    5. Curl Up
    6. Curl Down
    7. Cube from Left
    8. Cube from Right
    9. Cube from Bottom
    10. Cube from Top
    11. Push from Left
    12. Push from Right
    13. Push from Bottom
    14. Push from Top
    15. Move in from Left
    16. Move in from Right
    17. Move in from Bottom
    18. Move in from Top
    19. Reveal from Left
    20. Reveal from Right
    21. Reveal from Bottom
    22. Reveal from Top
    23. Flip from Left
    24. Flip from Right
    25. Flip from Bottom
    26. Flip from Top

As shown in the video, the sounds that you can use to accompany the custom animations for unlocking the iDevice are actually all of the ‘.caf’ files that are pre-loaded into iOS by Apple. These include default alert noises, the default unlock noise, and more default sounds – it appears as if none of them have been added by the developer. Included with the noises is a mute option to keep any sounds from emitting at all, however iOS already comes with a feature to mute all unlock/lock sounds. Under that we find swipe gestures for unlocking the iDevice from the top, bottom, left, and right which is customizable to be set to disabled, push, or move.

iUnlock is very comparable to UnlockFX, a jailbreak tweak introduced to the community last month by iOS developer Filippo Bigarella. UnlockFX was recently updated with support for custom sounds; the sounds are exactly the same as those for iUnlock. The biggest difference between the two jailbreak tweaks being UnlockFX has many more animations. UnlockFX also has the option to disable icon scattering after unlocking the iDevice, where iUnlock does not. Both iUnlock and UnlockFX come in at the same price of $1.99, but iUnlock will provide you with a three day free trial where UnockFX will not.

What I find to be great about iUnlock is that it works on the iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad; the only requirement – iOS 5. Older iDevices will find the GPU (graphics processing unit) choking a little bit on the graphical animations and showing some perceptible lag, however newer iDevices can render them as smooth as butter. I also find the random option to be a blast since it gives you a different animation each time that you unlock the iDevice. If you're the kind of person that enjoys keeping things how they are, then iUnlock isn't for you. iUnlock is only worth the price if you want unfamiliar animations and sounds at the time of unlocking your iDevice.

Name: iUnlock
    Price: $1.99 + 3-Day FREE Trial
    Version: 1.0
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Ma Jun
    Editor's Rating:  4/5

Sources: Cydia, Ma Jun

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I really appreciate this tweak however it's buggy and messes up my homepage every time

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 770 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    I really appreciate this tweak however it's buggy and messes up my homepage every time
    Really? How?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Really? How?
    It spreads my icons like 1000 feet apart haha like it shows no icons on my home page I think it's an error with barrel or scrolling board. Like I can go to spotlight and see some of my icons haha

Livin the iPhone Life TheOrioles33's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    It spreads my icons like 1000 feet apart haha like it shows no icons on my home page I think it's an error with barrel or scrolling board. Like I can go to spotlight and see some of my icons haha
    It does that for me but not often.
    MacBook Pro i7
    Dell XPS

iPhone? More like MyPhone Liveitlive's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd had to uninstall barrel on my iPad 2 it was conflicting with something else I guess and not recognizing my touches to open apps. But this looks cool... I have unlock fx and it's been working great with everything else.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Lower it to a buck and I'll likely bite.

Thanks

Atleast there is a 3 day trial

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I like this tweak, but if there is a song playing and you unlock your iPhone, and I'm assuming this is the with with iPod Touch too, the music stops playing..

Hopefully this will be fixed in the next update!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tucnepo's Avatar
    Thanks

Probably another battery killer, my ipad is smart cover unlock enabled that i dont need it

Thanks

I'll stick with unlockfx

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Not compatible with Dreamboard

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

Sticking with unlockfx also !!!!