+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] PushTone - Assign Tones to Applications

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default [Review] PushTones - Assign Tones to Applications

One thing about iOS notifications that really peeves many is when getting notifications from a variety of applications, many of them make the same alerting noise – the iOS tri-tone. The sounds that you can choose to use with iOS notifications are limited only to system applications such as Messages, Phone, and some others – third party applications cannot be customized. This can make it very problematic trying to discern between which application is trying to give you an alert when you are far away from your iDevice. iOS developer yeahwangy has come up with a great jailbreak tweak to solve that problem.

Dubbed PushTone, the jailbreak tweak will make it achievable to assign each application in your Notification settings with a different kind of sound. You can use any of your iDevice's ring tones or alert tones you want in order to be notified. When you go into an application in your Notification settings, you’ll see a new option at the bottom of it all (shown above) labeled PushTone. By default, the tone is set to none – none simply means that it will use the default sound; it doesn’t mean that it won’t make a sound at all (unless you have sounds disabled – then it won’t make any sounds at all).

Since you can use any of your ring tones or alert tones to inform you of a specific application notification, there is no chance of you running out of tones to use. You can use any of your custom ring tones that you have downloaded from iTunes or that you have synced to your iDevice through iTunes, which you downloaded or made yourself.

Giving PushTone a test run for ourselves, we’ve found that it makes it very easy to tell between a Twitter notification and a Facebook notification even when you’re across the room from your iDevice. It also works great with other applications, however PushTone is only compatible with applications actually supporting sounds. I've also noticed a rather long lag session when trying to open an application's notification settings probably due to loading the sound library each time. This lag can be excruciating for anyone that is impatient and might be the deal-breaker of buying this tweak or not. Overall, I find the ability to use any sound with any application very useful.

Name: PushTone
    Price: $1.99
    Version: 1.0-1
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: yeahwangy
    Editor's Rating:  4/5

Sources: yeahwangy

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tashawn's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow! This is a game changer.

Thanks

Me likey....

Green Apple
    Thanks

glad there's an easier way to do this now but im not gonna pay $1.99 for something i can do and have been doing via ssh

iPhone? More like MyPhone Liveitlive's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by n80r View Post
    glad there's an easier way to do this now but im not gonna pay $1.99 for something i can do and have been doing via ssh
    Sorry about your poverty... But This is great for those of us who don't/can't mess with ssh. I will be adding to my already extensive list of purchased apps lol

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Liveitlive View Post
    Sorry about your poverty... But This is great for those of us who don't/can't mess with ssh. I will be adding to my already extensive list of purchased apps lol
    how is that poverty just because i don't want to pay for something i'm intelligent enough to do myself? that's fine that you want to purchase this but don't say someones poor because they don't want to buy a tweak, because if that't the case then i'm sorry about the poverty of your mind for not knowing how to ssh

Thanks

how is that poverty just because i don't want to pay for something i'm intelligent enough to do myself? that's fine that you want to purchase this but don't say someones poor because they don't want to buy a tweak, because if that't the case then i'm sorry about the poverty of your mind for not knowing how to ssh
    Lol you said yourself it was an easier way... Life is all about convince (hence the iPhone). And poverty of my mind? Lol I'm blessed with the money to do what I want to, and to spend a whole 2 dollars on some tweak that makes things easier isn't far fetched even for my 10yr old nephew. Would u do it for me for 2 dollars? For everyone? Anytime they want it done? No prob not... So shut ur goof lips or go make a free app that does this cuz u can keep ur 2 cents (literally & figuratively). Go ssh ur heart out while the majority of us do it simply thru settings... Go complain about other things your not going to buy and can do urself. Just cuz you can cut ur own hair doesnt mean you should... No offense.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Liveitlive View Post
    Lol you said yourself it was an easier way... Life is all about convince (hence the iPhone). And poverty of my mind? Lol I'm blessed with the money to do what I want to, and to spend a whole 2 dollars on some tweak that makes things easier isn't far fetched even for my 10yr old nephew. Would u do it for me for 2 dollars? For everyone? Anytime they want it done? No prob not... So shut ur goof lips or go make a free app that does this cuz u can keep ur 2 cents (literally & figuratively). Go ssh ur heart out while the majority of us do it simply thru settings... Go complain about other things your not going to buy and can do urself. Just cuz you can cut ur own hair doesnt mean you should... No offense.

If you believe that life is all about convince and having everything spoon fed to you then that's fine. I for one believe that life is about knowledge and learning how to do things for yourself and that's why I've learned how to do this myself and not have to waste my money. Would i do this for you or anyone else? why would that even matter as i originally said I wouldn't do this because I can do this for myself. In no way did I ever say that this tweak should not be made and that no one should buy this tweak all I said that it wasn't for me. If you and your 10 year old nephew want to waste your money then fine, but I rather spend my money one something more useful. Oh and there's no need for me to develop a tweak like this for free because 1) ssh clients can already do this for free and are available to everyone and 2) dev's need to make a living off a people like you who are too stupid to do something as simple as add a file to their phone which would probably be faster than going into settings and navigating to this tweak

Thanks

If you believe that life is all about convince and having everything spoon fed to you then that's fine. I for one believe that life is about knowledge and learning how to do things for yourself and that's why I've learned how to do this myself and not have to waste my money. Would i do this for you or anyone else? why would that even matter as i originally said I wouldn't do this because I can do this for myself. In no way did I ever say that this tweak should not be made and that no one should buy this tweak all I said that it wasn't for me. If you and your 10 year old nephew want to waste your money then fine, but I rather spend my money one something more useful. Oh and there's no need for me to develop a tweak like this for free because 1) ssh clients can already do this for free and are available to everyone and 2) dev's need to make a living off a people like you who are too stupid to do something as simple as add a file to their phone which would probably be faster than going into settings and navigating to this tweak
    Lol listen to you bro... Ur mad right now. Why comment on a post if All you are doing is crying like a little girl with a skinned knee? U aren't using it, buying it or contributing anything more than ur hard earned 2 cents so w.e. and you are just way to smart to shell out pocket change for ****... Guess you can go do all the work and I'll go pay for it. Want to cut my grass too? Just playin... But seriously, I'm sure you can go spend that 1.99 on something waaay more useful lol. Oh by the way... I support the jb community and do purchase things, lots of things. You complain about something you have no interest in... Practically trolling. Dead it! You're talkin to hear yourself talk now...no1 cares if udont want the app or what u can ssh. I'd pay 1.99 to not get another notification with ur name on it lol.

Leave it alone. 1.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    n80r: Don't waste your time with this Liveitlive character. He's surely "convenienced" me that he's far too rich to bother learning any helpful skills for himself (like SSH, proper spelling, or even typing full words).

Why teach a man to fish when you can pay a man to fish for you?

"one"

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

The idea behind jailbreak tweaks is to cause convenience for the end user. Flicking a switch from your iPhone settings is absolutely easier than starting up your computer, setting up an SSH connection, finding the directory you need, and then waiting to transfer the files over. Anyone thinking that using backdoors for free is a better way to do things than paying for user interfaces can certainly think that way. I hope that the person using backdoors is using a cell phone from a cellular network that they built themselves for free, because clearly, paying for service that they could set up themselves for free would be a waste.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 02-24-2012 at 04:48 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by justincase View Post
    n80r: Don't waste your time with this Liveitlive character. He's surely "convenienced" me that he's far too rich to bother learning any helpful skills for himself (like SSH, proper spelling, or even typing full words).

Why teach a man to fish when you can pay a man to fish for you?

"one"
    Amen. Jock rider..

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    The idea behind jailbreak tweaks is to cause convenience for the end user. Flicking a switch from your iPhone settings is absolutely easier than starting up your computer, setting up an SSH connection, finding the directory you need, and then waiting to transfer the files over. Anyone thinking that using backdoors for free is a better way to do things than paying for user interfaces can certainly think that way. I hope that the person using backdoors is using a cell phone from a cellular network that they built themselves for free, because clearly, paying for service that they could set up themselves for free would be a waste.
    right on
    Hit the thanks button if I helped in any way