+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Settles Antenna-Gate Class-Action Lawsuit

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
File this under “crap-I-didn’t-see-till-just-now”, but Apple finally reached a settlement in the Antennagate lawsuit against the company and issued a statement to The Loop. “This settlement relates to a small
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Settles Antenna-Gate Class-Action Lawsuit

File this under “crap-I-didn’t-see-till-just-now”, but Apple finally reached a settlement in the Antennagate lawsuit against the company and issued a statement to The Loop.

“This settlement relates to a small number of customers who indicated that they experienced antenna or reception issues with their iPhone 4 and didn’t want to take advantage of a free case from Apple while it was being offered in 2010.” — Natalie Harrison, Apple Spokeswoman.

Most frustrated users took up Apple’s free Bumper case offer and called it a day. Reports even surfaced of Apple sending out free bumper cases to AppleCare customers who called in with complaints of reception issues after the Sept 30, 2010 program deadline. Those that persisted with the lawsuit for another 18 months received the same deal effectively gaining nothing for their legal trouble.

The settlement in questions applies to 18 separate lawsuits that combined together into a single class-action lawsuit against Apple. The plaintiffs accused Apple of "misrepresenting and concealing material information in the marketing, advertising, sales and servicing of its iPhone 4."

Hopefully the legal fees of those involved were paid for in the settlement as well...

Source: The Loop [via Apple Insider]
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 02-19-2012 at 08:16 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Omg
    Your*

3. The Following User Says Thank You to apoorv For This Useful Post:

evolution83 (02-18-2012)

Thanks

And I still have had less than 10 dropped calls with my i4. And that includes two months without any case at all. This settlement feels like justice to me. All that time and money and what did they get? A bumper they could have gotten within a month or so. Maybe next time they'll sue a fast food place over hot coffee.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

You are reward! How embarrassing. Makes the site look cheap and less credible.
    Last edited by idkanymore; 02-19-2012 at 12:13 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to idkanymore For This Useful Post:

evolution83 (02-18-2012)

iPhone? More like MyPhone evolution83's Avatar
    Thanks

Someone needs to edit that photo and use proper spelling!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You're reward. Me fail english? Unpossible.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

My original bumper case disintegrated. I should be entitled to another as long as the phone continues to have the problem.

Thanks

The ability to just play with the legal system in this country is on extreme levels of disgusting

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mr117 View Post
    And I still have had less than 10 dropped calls with my i4. And that includes two months without any case at all. This settlement feels like justice to me. All that time and money and what did they get? A bumper they could have gotten within a month or so. Maybe next time they'll sue a fast food place over hot coffee.
    Just because you haven't had many issues doesn't mean other people haven't. They are pissed because the product has an issue that they weren't aware of when they purchased the phone. Not everyone likes having a case on their phone to fix a problem that shouldn't be there in the first place. Personally I like having a case on my phone anyway so it wouldnt be an issue for me personally. I understand you don't like them complaining but just because it's not an issue for you doesn't mean it not an issue for everyone else.

iPhone? More like MyPhone badass1469's Avatar
    Thanks

all these people b1tch about a typo or lets say this guy cant spell and whatnot, who gives a ****... lol

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by idkanymore View Post
    Just because you haven't had many issues doesn't mean other people haven't. They are pissed because the product has an issue that they weren't aware of when they purchased the phone. Not everyone likes having a case on their phone to fix a problem that shouldn't be there in the first place. Personally I like having a case on my phone anyway so it wouldnt be an issue for me personally. I understand you don't like them complaining but just because it's not an issue for you doesn't mean it not an issue for everyone else.
    Lol, he never said other ppl haven't had issues with dropped calls, he's merely pointing out what a waste of time/money the lawsuits were because they ended up getting the same thing as everyone else...

Those people could have gotten a new phone if they wanted, but they chose to stay with the lawsuit cause they thought they'd get money out of it. People will sue for anything these days, it's ridiculous! Super funny though that they got screwed in the end and didn't get any money

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

In all fairness, Apple gave them more than adequate solutions, including a full refund. Keep in mind, I typically am against Apple in most of their lawsuits.

iPhone? More like MyPhone buttamix's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mr117 View Post
    Let me guess, you're on AT&T? Im on verizon and never had a dropped call or antenna issues. I'm guessing they fixed the problem.
    Last edited by buttamix; 02-19-2012 at 04:00 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    Lol, he never said other ppl haven't had issues with dropped calls, he's merely pointing out what a waste of time/money the lawsuits were because they ended up getting the same thing as everyone else...
    Makes me think you didn't even read what he said at all... He said he only had 10 dropped calls even with the case off so he is basically make it sound like there was no antennagate issue at all and the whole law suit was based off an issue that didn't exist. Further, he is happy with the result of just being the same as what was originally offered to them and thinks of that as "justice" because he doesn't like the idea of the class action suit as clearly you don't either. I thought that was obvious but I guess some people have to be spoon fed to understand...

Thanks

Makes me think you didn't even read what he said at all... He said he only had 10 dropped calls even with the case off so he is basically make it sound like there was no antennagate issue at all and the whole law suit was based off an issue that didn't exist. Further, he is happy with the result of just being the same as what was originally offered to them and thinks of that as "justice" because he doesn't like the idea of the class action suit as clearly you don't either. I thought that was obvious but I guess some people have to be spoon fed to understand...
    What are you ranting about? I said I (me, myself, I alone) had no issues with my i4. If I didn't, then the issue was not global. It was limited (we know it was, or there would have been millions of people returning their i4s at the Apple Store) in scope. If YOU had issues, I (me, myself, I alone) feel badly for you. However, Apple offered several opt-outs to your issue (we have to assume you had an issue, you don't explicitly state that you did): return the phone for either a replacement or a refund, Did you do so? Or accept a bumper or a case. Did you do so? Those people who refused to do so (you?) decided to go to court and try to get more than Apple was offering. Why? Because, my guess, they were greedy little ducks. You? Why should anyone want more than a refund or replacement? Where is the harm to the consumer if the supplier offers to take the item back and tender a replacement or refund. Or even just a case or bumper? And, as we can see, the court held to the same opinion. All that time and money and they only got what they could have gotten in the first place. Simply stated, it serves them right.

And, by the way, I know many people who were early adopters of the i4 who had NO issue with i4s. It's not that Apple offered a fix, and the issue went away. It still is not clear exactly why some people had issues and others didn't. (Oh, and yes, I'm on AT&T.) I personally believe it has to do with how people hold the phone. And while that can be an issue for some people, a simple exchange or, dare I say it, holding the phone slightly differently can resolve that particular issue.

As to your last sentence re spoon feeding, well, many of us are able to think clearly and understand the ramifications of personal responsibility AND corporate responsibility. To attempt to denigrate us for being clear thinkers by offering your mistaken opinion that we need our information broken down into small bits so we, us dolts, can understand it as you think you do (I don't agree with your opinion, but I'm not calling you names when I do so, or suggesting your lack of intelligence, or offering up that you are too simple to understand big words) is both rude and incorrect. I'd suggest that you keep your opinion to yourself if you need to resort to name calling on these boards. This is a place for reasoned discussion, it's not talk radio or attack TV.
    Last edited by mr117; 02-19-2012 at 09:31 AM.
    Senior

Green Apple
    Thanks

i had more issues with the case on the phone then i did with it off. But i still only dropped like ten to twelve calls the hole time i had the Iphone 4. i was pretty happy with the performance of the phone. I remember dropping more calls with the 3gs than with the 4. Now i have the 4s and so far so good.

iPhone? More like MyPhone buttamix's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow. Sounds a little like you have AT&T bitterness. That usually happens when you get 10 dropped calls in two months.

Thanks

Holy crap, did you expect me to read that wall of text? lol. I really don't care enough to bother
    Last edited by idkanymore; 02-19-2012 at 11:51 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Apple products are the best thing out there (duh). Don't think for a second that their lawyers aren't just as good.

Thanks

Holy crap, did you expect me to read that wall of text? lol. I really don't care enough to bother
    Then just read the last paragraph, where I suggest that you post with good manners.
    Senior