+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Looking to Improve Water Damage Detection With New Patent

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Certain things in life are impossible. Alchemy. Flying. Turning Super Saiyan. Apple is looking to add “preventing water damage” to that list with new improved ways of indicating if you
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Looking to Improve Water Damage Detection With New Patent

Certain things in life are impossible. Alchemy. Flying. Turning Super Saiyan.

Apple is looking to add “preventing water damage” to that list with new improved ways of indicating if you exposed your gadgets to a little midnight turd fishing in the toilet.

Apple’s new technology would detect water damage in portable device through circuitry rather than the current color-coded-more-sensitive-than-Lebron’s-feelings contact indicators. Apple’s patent application titled “Mechanisms for Detecting Exposure to water in an Electronic Device,” indicates water-soluble glue, and the previously mentioned circuit based methods as superior forms of detection.

According to the filing Apple employees are sometimes unqualified to properly check whether or not a customer’s device has water damage. This results in some people receiving replacements when their device should not have been covered under the warranty.

In order to save money the first solution is described as a “immersion detection mechanism” where the water sensor would be covered in a water-soluble conductive glue that would act as an electronic insulator between two conducting pieces. If a device is submerged and the insulator dissolves changing the impedance of the path, it would alert a data processor that would log water exposure events within the device.

The next solution involves several water sensors arranged and connected within the device as a randomly accessible sensor array. A current would be passed through these paths and any change in impedance detected would again alert a data processor which would then log water damage events.

Obviously questions of sensitivity and false readings would come into question. Would simply leaving your phone in the bathroom during a particularly long shower be enough to register with the sensors as a water damage event? Hopefully the devices can be calibrated to withstand non-harmful daily conditions.

Source: Apple Insider

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

a conductive insulator.. interesting

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by akafred View Post
    a conductive insulator.. interesting
    +1

Lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

And then come the jailbreakers and hack on that log and....TADAAAA... no water damage log anymore... problem solved... neat!

Thanks

Soon we will have a jailbreak tweak called "Remove Water Damage Log" :P

Thanks

I would pay $10 for a tweak like that if I had soaked my phone and it was under warranty...

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

I think the current "water damage" detection is a joke. Having your phone in the bathroom while u take a shower can make your iPhone that is in perfect condition, never been touched by water, register as "water damaged" by Apples "geniuses". Just a scapegoat for Apple to not have to replace broken phones. I don't see why they would want to change the current method. They benifit from the over sensitive, inaccurate method used now. The customer on the other hand, is $h@t out of luck.
    El Zurdo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nicrfe View Post
    +1

Lol
    The true meaning of semiconductor.

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
    I think the current "water damage" detection is a joke. Having your phone in the bathroom while u take a shower can make your iPhone that is in perfect condition, never been touched by water, register as "water damaged" by Apples "geniuses". Just a scapegoat for Apple to not have to replace broken phones. I don't see why they would want to change the current method. They benifit from the over sensitive, inaccurate method used now. The customer on the other hand, is $h@t out of luck.
    Never take mine in the bathroom. Ignoring what happens with the trip sensor I think its just a recipe for disaster.

Thanks

Great!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ambi_Valence View Post

Never take mine in the bathroom. Ignoring what happens with the trip sensor I think its just a recipe for disaster.
    Ya neither do I, hell, I am hesitant to even use it if there is a bit of fog out! I have heard of way to many horror stories of people having a legitimate, under warranty problem, only to be turned away because their phone is, according to Apple, "water damaged".

It's getting kinda scary how powerful Apple is becoming. They can basically get away with murder. Yet, I am so in love with my iPhone, I have no choice but to accept Apples laws.

A recent visit to a Apple store really opened my eyes to how Apple is treating customers, and that is very very poorly. I know, your all thinking "Apple has amazing customer service, i have never had a issue with them". And your right, they did have excellent customer service. I had always received excellent, excellent customer service as well. But from what I saw, this is no longer the case.

As I sat, awaiting the privledge to see a "genious" regarding my yellowish screened iPhone 4s, I observed about 10 different people with iPhone or iPod related issues quickly, and rudely turned away. At least half of them were told their iDevice had water damage, therefore out of warranty. I felt really bad for these people, they looked genuinely shocked when they were told that there phone had been "water damaged". One customer had bought AppleCare+, he had the receipt and everything. The "genius" told him that although he did purchase AppleCare+, it wasn't in there system that it had been "activated"... Huh? You have to "activate" your insurance? He was told that they couldn't help him, and they gave him a 1-800 # to call.

As for my yellow tinted screen issue, I have never been so mad and disappointed at the same time...it's to painful to talk about! If you want to see how extremely awful Apple is treating these unlucky iPhone 4s customers, just do a quick google search of "iPhone 4s yellow screen", you will see...it's appalling, and I am not exaggerating.

But hey...I still love Apple!! Apples like a girlfriend that treats you horribly, or is really annoying....but she's SUPER hot, so you will put up with anything!!
    Last edited by iLoveWindows&iPhone; 02-18-2012 at 01:09 AM.
    El Zurdo

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

And a dfu restore would not refresh/resolve that issue and make as good?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Wouldn't it make more sense that if the device is going to be detecting water in any case, to have the device automatically shut down in that as some kind of fail safe to help protect from water damage? I think this would be more productive than simply telling Apple to void your warranty...

Thanks

Apple is going about this the wrong way. Why not prevent water from damaging the device in the first place? Everybody wins. At CES there was a company that created a nano coating that repels water. They infused a tissue with it and then they put the tissue in a fish tank. When they pulled it out of the water it was completely dry. Mthe most amazing thing I've seen since a tissue is designed to absorb moisture.

Anyway they said the coating could be applied to electronic components and it would protect them from being submersed in water.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Here’s the thing, if jail breakers mess with that data log, the apple employees wouldn’t care. Because you jail broke your phone. And because you jail broke your phone, it automatically voids the warranty. So anyone else have a new bright idea?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    Here’s the thing, if jail breakers mess with that data log, the apple employees wouldn’t care. Because you jail broke your phone. And because you jail broke your phone, it automatically voids the warranty. So anyone else have a new bright idea?
    Not exactly, at least what I was thinking, drop phone in water, jailbreak phone, use tweak to erase data log saying phone had been water damaged, DFU restore, then take phone to Apple. After the Restore, there wouldn't be anyway for Apple to know it was jailbroken, and since the log had been wiped it wouldn't say there was water damage, as long as the phone would turn on and didn't have any visible signs of water they would never know.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by emerica6708 View Post
    Not exactly, at least what I was thinking, drop phone in water, jailbreak phone, use tweak to erase data log saying phone had been water damaged, DFU restore, then take phone to Apple. After the Restore, there wouldn't be anyway for Apple to know it was jailbroken, and since the log had been wiped it wouldn't say there was water damage, as long as the phone would turn on and didn't have any visible signs of water they would never know.
    I think you guys are taking this the wrong way. IF this new water "damage" technique is incorporated, Apple will have a fail safe. Most likely adding this new method, while also keeping the old one (the old one being the fail safe).

There is absolutely no way Apple would have only this new method, which has been pointed out, could easily be tampered with on a jailbroken device. There will always be a physical, inaccurate, vague water "damage" detector which will allow Apple to say "sorry bout it, but according to the color of this little sticker hidden inside your phone (which you cannot see without opening your phone and voiding your warranty) you dropped your phone into the sink, if you say you didn't, you are a liar....the sticker says so, sorry bout it".
    El Zurdo

Thanks

Apples like a girlfriend that treats you horribly, or is really annoying....but she's SUPER hot, so you will put up with anything!!
    Well said... Thats pretty much how it is...

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I have had water sensors trip on phones that were less than a month old and NEVER exposed to anything even remotely damaging. This has happened on a Motorola RAZR V3, an Apple iPhone 3G, an Apple iPhone 4, and, most recently, a Sony Xperia PLAY 4G (R800at). It is absolutely ridiculous that they can void a warranty when there is no water damage and the claim is completely unrelated anyway (especially for known problems with that model). Perhaps we need a class action lawsuit filed on behalf of all those who threw their burning/melting phone in water when the battery overheated and wasn't removable.

It's ridiculous enough that Apple gets away with having EXPOSED water sensors. The only reason they get away with this despite being against the industry norm is because they first made it "normal" in another industry: MP3 players. Someone needs to stand up and point out that they others put them inside the phone only for a good reason (ONE drop of rain or sweat in the UPWARDS FACING HEADPHONE JACK and you're screwed despite no actual damage to the phone).

Now, those of you thinking that there will be a JB tweak: Not likely. The whole point is to make it read-only and the logic that "writes" is independent and can't be controlled by software.
    Last edited by CZroe; 02-18-2012 at 07:51 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Makes sense. I, for one, am all for this. Tired of seeing people brag about running their phones through the wash and being able to like their way into a replacement. Crap like that is what keeps costs higher, around the board, for all products.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Alchemy is possible Swanson. We call them particle accelerators.