Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Looking to Improve Water Damage Detection With New Patent

Quote Originally Posted by Tony1979 View Post
    Alchemy is possible Swanson. We call them particle accelerators.
    Don't forget flying.

i actually dropped my 3G in boiling water(I don't know how that happened), took it to Apple and of course got rejected because of that red sticker. Took it to AT&T and said my phone is acting funny. They didn't know what was wrong with it so they gave me a new one.

Anybody else took their water damaged iphone to AT&T?

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jammole View Post
    i actually dropped my 3G in boiling water(I don't know how that happened), took it to Apple and of course got rejected because of that red sticker. Took it to AT&T and said my phone is acting funny. They didn't know what was wrong with it so they gave me a new one.

Anybody else took their water damaged iphone to AT&T?
    No, I havnt taken an iPhone into AT&T for that particular reason, but I have for other issues in the past. Like you, in my experiences, AT&T has been much more helpful and understanding then the Apple store. Usually (not always) if your phone isn't working, AT&T will do the reasonable/fair thing, and replace your phone with one that actually works. They are nice about it too, they don't make you feel like your lying about it, and inspect and interroggate you like a CSI agent.
    El Zurdo

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Seems to me that Apple should instead focus its energies on making the phone water-proof. There would be no need then to detect water damage. Why not solve the problem instead of fixing the symptom?

i thought Apple were in cahoots with H2o who would coat the phones at manufacture stage, the same as liquipel at the ces show?

shouldnt they be trying to improve water PROTECTION instead of water DETECTION?

PS. In my opinion, certain language used in this article is immature and annoying.

I would rather them work on water resistance technology then this

Apple is looking to add “preventing water damage” to that list with new improved ways of indicating if you exposed your gadgets to a little midnight turd fishing in the toilet.
    I don't see anything about "preventing" water damage in there. They really should try to prevent it with protective coatings rather than making new water sensors. But of course then they wouldn't have that as an excuse to not replace someone's iPhone.

How about simply making the phone water proof instead? I mean we can make water proof cameras that can play and record sounds...why can't they make a water proof phone?

Oh, right, then they don't get to rip customers off by saying they have to buy a new phone because the one they had was water damaged....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cypherstream View Post
    Apple is going about this the wrong way. Why not prevent water from damaging the device in the first place? Everybody wins. At CES there was a company that created a nano coating that repels water. They infused a tissue with it and then they put the tissue in a fish tank. When they pulled it out of the water it was completely dry. Mthe most amazing thing I've seen since a tissue is designed to absorb moisture.

Anyway they said the coating could be applied to electronic components and it would protect them from being submersed in water.

Because if no iDevices are water damaged that means Apple can't make a quick $$ for an out-of-warrenty repair, or they will lose $$ from people who would go out and buy a new iDevice.
    No confundas mi personalidad con mi actitud. Mi personalidad es quien soy yo, mi actitud depende de quien seas tú.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12