Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Wins Injunction Against Motorola Over “Slide-to-Unlock”

Thanks

Default Apple Wins Injunction Against Motorola Over “Slide-to-Unlock”

A recent ruling handed down by the Munich I Regional Court on Thursday found that a number of Motorola products had in fact infringed on Apple’s slide-to-unlock patent. This results in a permanent injunction against any of the offending devices.

It was Judge Dr. Peter Guntz that deemed that Motorola’s implementation of a screen unlocking feature used across its smartphone line imitates the image on Apple’s slide-to-unlock patent image. This in turn gives Apple the option to enforce a German injunction against a bond. The patent in question is Apple’s European patent, EP1964022, was awarded in October 2010 and is titled “Unlocking a Device by Performing Gestures on an Unlock Image.” The company was also granted an identical patent a year later by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.

During the court case, three different Motorola implementations of gesture-based device unlocking were examined, two of which were deemed to be infringing on Apple’s patent, namely those used by the RAZR line. Motorola’s Xoom tablet managed to showcase the concept different enough to escape injunction. This specific implementation was similar to that of the Galaxy Note and requires a user to swipe their finger from inside a circle to outside.

Regardless, Apple’s victory against Motorola results in a complete rework of how Motorola devices handle screen unlocking. The judge would only force a firmware modification and not a ban on device sales, which is pretty crucial in terms of leniency towards Motorola. According to Florian Mueller of FOSS Patents, the outcome creates a “noticeable degradation of the user experience of Motorola’s products,” as the company will probably end up extending the “slide-to-unlock circle” found in the Xoom across its entire product line.

This decision is going to be not only a blow to Motorola’s mobility division but also hurt Android handset makers in general. It will allow Apple to bring similar claims to companies using the Google operating system to court in Germany, for example Samsung in Mannheim.

Chances are we will see an appeal to today’s court case ruling though so we’ll have to wait and see what move is made next.

Source: FOSS Patents

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Banned
    Thanks

Apple, GROW UP.

Embarrassed to have an iPhone. Apple is a bunch of sissy lala scum bags! Can't wait to get a Lumia 900
    Last edited by Airwaves182; 02-17-2012 at 03:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    Apple, GROW UP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves182 View Post
    Embarrassed to have an iPhone. Apple is a bunch of sissy lala scum bags! Can't wait to get a Lumia 900
    If other companies get to sue Apple for every little thing, why can't Apple fire back in return?

Apple, GROW UP.
    They are just protecting IP, nothing childish about it.

How dare apple defend an idea they came up with!!! They should do all the innovating and then give away their ideas for free!

Apple, GROW UP.
    Can someone ban this troll and his IP please...

We can't wait too, then you can f**k off and not bother this forum anymore

Quote Originally Posted by CCNPJediHacker View Post
    Can someone ban this troll and his IP please...

We can't wait too, then you can f**k off and not bother this forum anymore
    OMG thank you! You said what I didn't have the guts to say.

Apple, GROW UP.
    ...I don't get it. Why do you even frequent this site?? Every post you make is insanely ignorant of general business knowledge and practice, and you clearly have no interest in Apple products. What is the point of your reading and commenting on any of this?

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple, GROW UP.
    Why are you on a APPLE FORUM, all you do is troll and hate.

Why shouldn't Apple protect their ideas, Apple may take other peoples ideas but they improve but other companies just blatantly rip of Apple.

Ok, go enjoy your boring Windowzzz cr*p with crappy UI and no decent apps.
    Please go, no one will miss you moaners.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Good for apple, companies sue them apple sues them back 3x harder. Apple is just showing that there not afraid to sue. I don't see anything wrong with it. Samsung/Motorola sue apple a lot, so it is ok for apple to sue them back

Quote Originally Posted by ericwall View Post
    OMG thank you! You said what I didn't have the guts to say.
    No worries mate, it's about time this forum started banning these 1 cell amoebas

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

NakedFaerie is actually just Steve Balmer.

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post

Why shouldn't Apple protect their ideas, Apple may take other peoples ideas but they improve but other companies just blatantly rip of Apple.

+1000 I was thinking the same thing

Apple can be childish however this is a clear infringement and apple has a perfect right to sue

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post

I didn't realize SOPA passed and we weren't allowed to be on this forum if we don't agree with Apple.

And if I remember correctly, it was posted here on this site where Apple was not the one that created slide to unlock...Oh wait, here it is. Apple, iPhone and iPad News | ModMyi - Apple Granted Patent for 'Slide to Unlock' and Potentially All Other Unlocking Gestures

Yeah, Apple may take other peoples ideas then go ahead and sue the company after. Oh yeah, great idea there with the slide to unlock, adding the option to open your camera from there. If only another OS had that option before Apple released it...maybe Android did . But not to worry, Apple will be coming after Android in the states with the slide to unlock patent to sue them.

Go and enjoy your jailbroken iPhones that you all mod to do what a stock Android can do.

Quote Originally Posted by gehjl View Post
    I didn't realize SOPA passed and we weren't allowed to be on this forum if we don't agree with Apple.

You clearly don't know what SOPA is...

Quote Originally Posted by Slingshot377 View Post
    You clearly don't know what SOPA is...
    Haha, agreed

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

And if I remember correctly, it was posted here on this site where Apple was not the one that created slide to unlock...Oh wait, here it is. Apple, iPhone and iPad News | ModMyi - Apple Granted Patent for 'Slide to Unlock' and Potentially All Other Unlocking Gestures

Yeah, Apple may take other peoples ideas then go ahead and sue the company after. Oh yeah, great idea there with the slide to unlock, adding the option to open your camera from there. If only another OS had that option before Apple released it...maybe Android did . But not to worry, Apple will be coming after Android in the states with the slide to unlock patent to sue them.

Go and enjoy your jailbroken iPhones that you all mod to do what a stock Android can do.
    What are you doing on this site again? You either own an Apple product or you just have nothing better to do with your time then try and make Android look better then Apple, in which case you're wasting your time. The rest of us are on here for a reason, we enjoy our Apple products. I don't know when the last time you compared a stock Android to a JB iPhone but the iPhone wins hands down.

Apple has every right to protect what they've created no matter where it started from, the end result is all theirs.

Troll

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast