Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] Screen Swipe Sounds - Noises for Paging in iOS

Default [Review] Screen Swipe Sounds - Noises for Paging in iOS

iOS has a very generic look. It reflects upon that look with generic sounds – even, sometimes, no sounds at all. iOS developer Laurence Millar presumed that it was time to amend that by presenting a new jailbreak tweak to the Cydia store dubbed Screen Swipe Sounds. It works in a very unique way, bringing us sounds and haptic feedback when we scroll through our pages on the home screen. The sounds are completely customizable and if you are using an iPhone, you can even get vibration feedback when you are paging through the home screen.

From the settings in the screenshot provided above, we see that we can enable and disable the sound and vibration effects at our leisure. If there is a point in time where you need your iPhone to be silent, you can disable the tweak. Alternatively, the mute switch on the side of the iPhone will also silence the noise. Under that we can adjust the volume of the noises produced by the jailbreak tweak. This volume is not affiliated with the iPod music player volume, so turning this volume slider to high will not affect the music volume when listening to music.

Once we get past those settings, the fun begins. The vibrate option that I was talking about previously can be found here; you can turn it on or off. Then, under that, are all of the sounds that you can set for the iDevice to play when you are paging through your pages on the home screen. Each page will play the sound once. There are some decent sounds, but I will also confess that some of them aren’t as impressive. There are eighteen sounds total; here is the list:

In case the image above did not load for you:
    • Bubbles
    • Door
    • Giggle
    • God
    • Love
    • Nudge
    • Page (Female)
    • Page (Male)
    • Ping
    • Pong
    • Shift
    • Snap
    • Spring
    • Sprinkle
    • SSS (Screen Swipe Sounds)
    • Tune
    • Waga
    • Wipe

After trying it myself, it does feel a little bizarre to hear a noise at the flip of a page, however it grows on you. You will begin to love it if you find the right sound that fits you. The self-confidence that you can mute the sounds when you need to is even better. I think that the Bubbles and Tune are the best sound effects out of the package, but opinions will differ. The tweak is intended to bring vibrant and fun effects to iOS and you will only appreciate it if you like to customize things and amend things apart from the default settings. It appears to be a very solid jailbreak tweak with no bugs, so I can recommend it. It's well worth it, setting you back only 99 - less than a large soft drink at Taco Bell. It does a great job of making iOS more fun and would go great with a jailbreak tweak like Barrel.

I talked to Laurence Millar to learn more about his motives behind Screen Swipe Sounds, here is what he said back:

Anthony: What gave you the idea to make Screen Swipe Sounds?
    Laurence: Basically the same idea as with most tweaks; the desire to improve the iOS platform! (I hope it does)

Anthony: How does the use of Screen Swipe Sounds increase the fun value of iOS?
    Laurence: I hope it adds fun, some of the sounds are a bit unique lol.

Anthony: What are your favorite settings for it?
    Laurence: Bubbles, Page and Pong. ;-)

Name: Screen Swipe Sounds
    Price: 99
    Version: 1.0.4-1
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Laurence Millar
    Editor's Rating: . 4.5/5

Sources: Cydia

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Maybe it's just springboard pages. I don't have any. All my stuff is in infinite folders on one page.
    Last edited by dmcdivitt; 02-16-2012 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcdivitt View Post
    It's worth 0.99 to try it and see what it does. Saying "home screen" doesn't say what home screen. Description is a little vague. For swipes I'd like to hear a sound from Activator swipes but don't think it does that.
    It only makes a sound when you swipe between pages on the home screen. Nowhere else. I hope this helps.

Woah I hope this doesn't catch anyone off guard or anything

Does anything ever get a 5/5? The highest I see is 4.5/5.

Is that the new iPhone?? iPhone 4S XL? :P

I may have to move a few of my apps to the second page so I can try this out. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Imahottguy View Post
    Is that the new iPhone?? iPhone 4S XL? :P
    Imagine talking on that thing. Won't stick in your pocket very well without sticking ya in the back lol.

Thanks

will this tweak make my phone long like the picture?

Anyone try this. Is it worth it?

I would buy this if it added more sound events than simply changing pages...

I would LOVE a tweak that added more sound FX than this! Such as launching apps, pressing "close" buttons, toggling switches, etc

iPhone? More like MyPhone djjessejames's Avatar
    Tha Hills & Valley of the Sticky Icky Icky...ooo wee.
    Thanks

Lol to the off gaurd comments.

Master Theme Creator (aka Bluemetal) Blue's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,260 Times in 3,567 Posts