+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] MultiTunes - Sync With Multiple iTunes Computers

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default [Review] MultiTunes - Sync With Multiple iTunes Computers

iTunes has a very restrictive interface that allows you to sync as many iDevices with your iTunes library as you want, awkwardly it does not work the other way around. If you have one iDevice that you want to sync with multiple iTunes libraries, it will not play suitably. For that, jailbreaking has opened up a few doors for us. A new application by Harrison Apps, LLC (the maker of MyTube) has emerged in the changes section of Cydia dubbed MultiTunes that lets you sync as many iTunes libraries to your iDevice as you would like to.

From the screenshot above, it is made obvious that you have the ability to use MultiTunes to select the iTunes library you plan to sync to and it will allow you to sync to that library. You will have to do this every time that you plan to sync to a dissimilar library. When you want to add a new library, you will need to tap on the '+' button at the top right-hand corner of the application and then you will get a prompt querying you to enter a library name; you can name it whatever you want to. When you select it after creating it, you need to sync to a new iTunes library and the information for that iTunes library that you are syncing to is stored in the library that you just added through the application.

For instance, if I have two iTunes libraries Ė one entitled MacBook Pro and one entitled iMac, I will be able to sync my iPhone to both of those computers without erasing my iPhone content. If my MacBook Pro is my default library and I want to sync to my iMac, I need to go into the MultiTunes application, select iMac, and then sync with the iMac to add the content on my iMac to my iPhone in addition to what is already stored on it from my MacBook Pro. Donít get the wrong idea Ė MultiTunes is compatible with Mac and Windows. I only used the MacBook Pro and iMac as examples.

MultiTunes makes a great free substitute to PwnTunes. PwnTunes allows you to drag and drop media and MultiTunes does not, however they both allow you to freelance with iTunes libraries Ė in fact, PwnTunes makes it so that you donít even need to use iTunes, but with MultiTunes you still need it. MultiTunes works great from our testing and it appears to be a very great application for giving you the freedom to bounce among computers.

The developer advises that if you want to download content from the iOS App Store, iTunes, or iBooks you should to make sure that 'Default Library' is selected from the MultiTunes application before you attempt the downloads because if one of the computers that you sync to is connected to a different iTunes account, you will have issues trying to download things from your iDevice due to the fact that you cannot sign in. All settings are configured from the MultiTunes application. It works with iOS 5 on iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch. It is also an ad-enabled application. Since it's free, give it a try!

Name: MultiTunes
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Harrison Apps, LLC
    Editor's Rating:  4/5

Sources: Cydia

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Can I make a playlist that has songs from both libraries?

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

Nice tweak. Does suck that apple has set it up like that though.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

This app seems really cool but the fact that it advises you to switch back to default library if you were downloading content was a turn off for me. I can just see me forgetting and screwing things up. And also PwnTunes is good enough for me

Thanks

This tweak is amazing, but I don't have any use for it, keep up the great work!

Thanks

I love Harrison apps, they made MyTube, a jailbreak must-have.
    HIT THANKS BUTTON TO SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

thanks...you've solved a very big problem!

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

It turned my videos icon to a blank white icon, after I uninstalled it was fine again. I tried respringing, rebooting, clearing caches, and the only thing that worked was uninstalling.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 890 Posts

If it merged all songs onto one library that would be amazing. It doesn't though. So uninstalled.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I must have done something completely wrong. I tried to synch with my work computer using this... insuring that I didn't synch apps. After synching, half of my paid apps are now gone. I decided to delete the "work" profile, and uninstalled multitunes through Cydia, and now my Clock app is a blank white square. A respring didn't help. Pretty bummed. Hopefully I have all of the missing apps backed up on my home PC.