+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Gartner Crowns Apple Top Smartphone Manufacturer of 2011

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Gartner Crowns Apple Top Smartphone Manufacturer of 2011

According to Gartner, Apple emerged as the leading smartphone manufacturer in 2011.

Other reports pegged Samsung as the 2011 smartphone leader, but Gartner’s data placed Apple at the top with a 19% overall smartphone market share. The iPhone 4S released in October spurred a particularly strong 4th quarter for Apple during which the company stole a 23.8%market share with the sale of 37 million iPhones.

Apple’s success in markets outside of the U.S. helped spur growth in the entire industry as a whole especially in Western Europe.

“Western Europe and North America led most of the smartphone growth for Apple during the fourth quarter of 2011. In Western Europe the spike in iPhone sales in the fourth quarter saved the overall smartphone market after two consecutive quarters of slow sales." — Gartner analyst Roberta Cozza
    Gartner’s data elevated Apple above Samsung mainly because Apple’s retail channel supply management has proven superior. Demand for Apple’s phones result in very little, if any, build up in inventory. Samsung on the other hand experienced some build up in their inventory.

LG, Motorola, Sony Ericson, and RIM all struggled to increase smartphone shipments and earnings not just because of competition from Samsung and Apple, but from manufacturers like ZTE and Huawei who grabbed more market share with low-end and midrange smartphones.

OS wise Android remains at the tip with 50.9% market share (up from 30.5% a year prior) with Apple coming at a distant second with 23.8% market share. However, from 3rd quarter to the 4th quarter Android saw a slight dip in market share, likely due to Apple’s strong iPhone 4S sales.

Source: CNET

Thanks

In fact, you cannot talk about market share "OS wise" without considering the iPad, which would probably blow away that "distant second" statement.
    Last edited by fishbone; 02-15-2012 at 11:32 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 689 Posts

Ya I get tired of them trying to compare the IOS to Android. You have 20-30 models of phones running Android to 1 iPhone. Ya that a good comparison!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    In before trolls talk about "imagine if iOS was on different platforms"

iPhone? More like MyPhone shigh's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    Ya I get tired of them trying to compare the IOS to Android. You have 20-30 models of phones running Android to 1 iPhone. Ya that a good comparison!!
    I agree. 3gs ,4, 4s, ipod, ipad, all pretty popular right now. Thats five devices with ios. Anything before 3gs doesnt count to me. Meanwhile google will whore out android to anyone who wants it. To me, zero comparison.