+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] PowerSoundDisabler - No More Chirping When Connecting to A USB

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
There is one thing about iOS that many of us cringe about. The chirping noise that is emitted when you plug your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad into a power
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 769 Posts

Default [Review] PowerSoundDisabler - No More Chirping When Connecting to A USB

There is one thing about iOS that many of us cringe about. The chirping noise that is emitted when you plug your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad into a power source with the USB sync cable is annoying. Whether you’re in a location where you need to be silent such as your home when everyone is sleeping or you’re just tired of hearing it after every respring and reboot when the iDevice is plugged in, a new jailbreak tweak dubbed PowerSoundDisabler by iOS developer K3A lets you disable the chirp so that connecting to a power source is as silent as a ninja.

If you have an iPhone, which vibrates, then you can make the iPhone vibrate instead of emanating a chirping noise by simply switching on the silent switch, which is positioned above the volume buttons. This too can be loud in some cases. If you have the iPhone sitting on a rickety desk, the vibration will cause a loud buzzing noise. If you have ever found yourself in this uncomfortable situation, then PowerSoundDisabler has you covered. It also eliminates the vibration that the iPhone emits when plugged in or respringing and restarting.

There are some things to contemplate before installing this tweak. You need to make certain that you want your iDevice to be muted. Some people do enjoy having a type of haptic feedback when they do something with their iDevice. In the case of plugging the iDevice into a power source with PowerSoundDisabler installed, you will not be accompanied by any haptic feedback and the only thing that will make you certain that your device is being charged is the electric bolt icon that appears in your battery indicator at the top right of your status bar. You can also tell that the device is charging by the large battery that appears on the lock screen when it is plugged in (unless you have this feature disabled in some kind of jailbreak tweak such as Springtomize 2).

I recommend PowerSoundDisabler for anyone that wants to be stealthier with his or her iDevice. It doesn’t silence any other noises except for the chirping noise when you plug it in, so you don’t have to worry about neglecting notifications because you couldn’t near the sound. There are no settings to configure and you will need to uninstall this tweak if you ever want to hear your chirping noise again.

Name: PowerSoundDisabler
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0.0-1
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: K3A
    Editor's Rating:  4/5

Sources: Cydia
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 02-14-2012 at 10:47 PM.

Thanks

The 'chirping' sound isn't that loud.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by punjabi212 View Post
    The 'chirping' sound isn't that loud.
    It can be. It depends on your volume and sometimes it takes you off guard.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Nice to see a simple useful tweak and free. I hate seeing these simple tweaks charge money haha

Thanks

Why would anyone ever want to silence that beautiful noise?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    Why would anyone ever want to silence that beautiful noise?
    Yeah, I like that noise. I like it since it tells me my iPod is charging. Couldn't you also disable it with Winterboard though?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I disabled the visible battery...and the charging screen...so w/out the chirp, I never know if I'm charging. Nice tweak though!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Not to be that guy, but.. I believe the first sentence is an incorrect usage of a semicolon. Should be a colon. And in the title, the word "Chipring" is misspelled. Sorry, pet peeves of mine.

As for the tweak: I can't say I'd find myself using it, although it's always nice to see a new, free, potentially useful tweak.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by natedog102 View Post
    Not to be that guy, but.. I believe the first sentence is an incorrect usage of a semicolon. Should be a colon. And in the title, the word "Chipring" is misspelled. Sorry, pet peeves of mine.

As for the tweak: I can't say I'd find myself using it, although it's always nice to see a new, free, potentially useful tweak.
    Thanks.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Breezy215's Avatar
    Thanks

I hated that plain, corny sound... So I changed it to the sound effect of Atom (from the movie "Real Steel") powering on...

Green Apple
    Thanks

This "tweak" is for the super lazy. Just go to /System/Library/Audio/UISounds/ and delete or rename beep-beep.caf. Done.

If you need this "tweak", you have no business with a jailbroken device.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

My goodness!! This review makes it seem like plugging your iDevice into a power source is as loud and annoying as a screaming baby wailing all night, or ugly roomates having really loud sex while ur trying to sleep! It's a freakin chirp! It has become synonymous with iDevices, and somewhat of an iconic sound. I personally would never want to get rid of it.

The main reason I would never want to get rid of the chirp, is due to how poorly the USB cable holds up overtime (Apple really needs to work on this), there have been many times my iPhone has lost its charge, and the cable needs to be repositioned, or unplugged, and plugged back in to resume charging. If my iPhone didn't chirp to notify me that the charge had been lost, I wouldn't know its not charging, unless I am staring at my screen all night. If my battery is low, my iPhone would die overnight, therefore my alarm wouldn't go off, and I would be screwed!!

Perhaps this tweak would be useful in very rare instances, when u cannot make a single sound, no matter how loud. If you could simply toggle the tweak on and off for these occasions, it would be a decent tweak.
    El Zurdo

Thanks

Let's all disable the cool futuristic synth sound that we only hear once or twice a day when docking our phones. Let's also stop eating chocolate and playing video games and wasting time on these so called "vacations"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by n00neimp0rtant View Post
    Let's all disable the cool futuristic synth sound that we only hear once or twice a day when docking our phones. Let's also stop eating chocolate and playing video games and wasting time on these so called "vacations"
    I think I hear it around 38 times a day between respringing and charging.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tucnepo's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
    My goodness!! This review makes it seem like plugging your iDevice into a power source is as loud and annoying as a screaming baby wailing all night, or ugly roomates having really loud sex while ur trying to sleep! It's a freakin chirp! It has become synonymous with iDevices, and somewhat of an iconic sound. I personally would never want to get rid of it.
    Moddin your idevices too much sometimes makes them look kinda counterfeited. Some people call it " not apple-enough". For instance I theme my iPhone because I just wanna be a little different from the stock iPhone. That's fine though. But never am I a fan of turning my phone into something I totally don't recognize. I still want I keep that little piece of apple to remind me that I Am still using an apple product

iPhone? More like MyPhone broncosi's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    sometimes it takes you off guard.
    Takes you off guard? The sound your iPhone makes when you know you're plugging it in, that it makes every time you plug it in, takes you off guard? Off guard like, "WHOA!! The hell was that?!" or takes you off guard like one of those maze pranks where when you get close to the end the exorcist girl pops up? Help me understand how a phone that makes sounds all day unexpectedly when anyone texts, calls, or emails, takes you off guard when you intentionally plug it in to charge. I've never heard of anyone needing to take a Prozac before plugging their phone in to charge but whatever works.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by broncosi View Post
    Takes you off guard? The sound your iPhone makes when you know you're plugging it in, that it makes every time you plug it in, takes you off guard? Off guard like, "WHOA!! The hell was that?!" or takes you off guard like one of those maze pranks where when you get close to the end the exorcist girl pops up? Help me understand how a phone that makes sounds all day unexpectedly when anyone texts, calls, or emails, takes you off guard when you intentionally plug it in to charge. I've never heard of anyone needing to take a Prozac before plugging their phone in to charge but whatever works.
    Hahahahaha, good one! I totally thought the same exact thing when I read the "takes you off guard" part. So funny.

I imagine having a reaction similar to the Darth Vadar Kid (from the car commercial) when I get home from work tonight and plug my iPhone into its charger.
    El Zurdo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Thanks.
    Now the second sentence isn't even an independent clause. It should be a hyphen or a colon - I'm not really sure which.

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
    My goodness!! This review makes it seem like plugging your iDevice into a power source is as loud and annoying as a screaming baby wailing all night, or ugly roomates having really loud sex while ur trying to sleep!
    This is the funniest thread I've read in a while.
    Last edited by Zokunei; 02-14-2012 at 08:37 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tucnepo's Avatar
    Thanks

Rofl

Thanks

Some here are questioning why would you do this. I can tell you EXACTLY why this works great for me. My wife goes to bed about 2 hours before I do. Every night when I go to bed I charge my phone on the night stand. I have to always remember to put it on vibrate before plugging it in, then take it back off vibrate so I can receive emergency calls during the night if I were to get any. Sometimes I forget to switch it to vibrate and at midnight in a silent room that FREAKIN sound is like an alarm going off! So this works perfectly for me in my situation. LOVE IT!!!!

Even worse, the crappy phone I had before the iPhone would always beep when it was done charging. Which would usually be around 3am!!! And you could not turn that crap off! What idiot thought that was a good idea???
    Last edited by jeffrh; 02-14-2012 at 10:02 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffrh For This Useful Post:

a_lunatic (02-15-2012)