+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Seeking Sales Injunction Against Galaxy Nexus

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Seeking Sales Injunction Against Galaxy Nexus

Florian Mueller revealed today some additional information regarding Apple’s latest patent lawsuit against Samsung over auto-correct and screen unlock patents.

The big revelation is that Apple is targeting Samsung’s Galaxy Nexus smartphone and is seeking a preliminary injunction against the sale of Google’s flagship Android 4.0 device. Apple’s lawsuit parallels a complaint filed last year, but according to Mueller Apple’s new complaint differs in a few essential areas.

Apple made the error of asking for a sales injunction against Samsung last year after the initial complaint. This allowed Samsung to argue that Apple’s complaint lacked the urgency and necessity to get an injunction. This time around Apple asked for a preliminary injunction and specifically stated the costs and damages the company will suffer due to the availability of Samsung’s infringing products.

Also, Apple is using four patents and arguing their application related to specific, technical features instead of the ambiguous “software design related rights” they claimed last time. Apple is even using U.S. Patent No. 5,946,647 "System and Method for Performing an Action on a Structure in Computer-Generated Data" which they used to successfully win an injunction against HTC. Google decided to keep this infringed upon feature in Android 4.0 despite the courts HTC decision which Mueller argues is "is unfair vis--vis HTC (whose products are weaker because they have to respect the decision), snubs Apple, and shows disregard for intellectual property in general and the ITC in particular. This is a case of willful, extremely reckless infringement."

The remaining patents included in the suit are:

U.S. Patent No. 8,086,604 "Universal Interface for Retrieval of Information in a Computer System” which is related to Siri and unified search.

U.S. Patent No. 8,046,721 "Unlocking a Device by Performing Gestures on an Unlock Image" which is a unlock gesture patent awarded last year

U.S. Patent No. 8,074,172 "Method, System, and Graphical User Interface for Providing Word Recommendations,” which is a patent related to auto-correct and text entry.

Apple is targeting Google’s flagship Android 4.0 handset out of necessity. If Apple wins an injunction it will slow down the already snail-paced Android 4.0 rollout. Imagine if Samsung, Google, or another company associated with Android won an injunction against Apple’s products based specifically on an aspect iOS 5.0’s functionality only months after its release? Apple would be forced to stop selling all their phones and revert to an old OS or issue a fix.

Android handsets lack Apple’s cohesion so a ruling against the heart of Android 4.0 wont effect more than 1 percent of Androids installed user base, but it’ll further push pack the release of long-awaited handsets from other Android manufacturers.

Source: FOSS Patents [via Apple Insider]

iPhone? More like MyPhone fbiryujin's Avatar
    Thanks

This is ridiculous. I like Apple, and my iPhone, but I am waiting for an AT&T Galaxy Nexus.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

I was hoping that with Tim cook in charge, the suing would calm down. Looks like I was wrong Also we can't hate on apple if they can show their patents and show how samsung infringes them. Then they have the right to sue. Sorry to all the apple haters but it's true

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

My iPhone is a Part of Me GrandMstrBud's Avatar
    Thanks

The GSM Galaxy Nexus is HSPDA+ on both AT&T and T-Mobile. They are a bit pricey but they have been going down lately. But if you buy an unlocked iPhone 4S that will cost you 650 plus tax for the 16GB model and the GN is right about 600 now for the 16GB model. I know I'm waiting for my 4S 32GB factory unlocked to sell so I can get the GN.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Truckerbear's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fbiryujin View Post
    This is ridiculous. I like Apple, and my iPhone, but I am waiting for an AT&T Galaxy Nexus.

The GSM version has been available to buy for weeks... maybe even a month.

Newegg.com - Samsung Galaxy Nexus Titanium Silver 3G Unlocked GSM Android Smart Phone w/ Android 4.0 / 5 MP Camera / 16GB Internal Memory / NFC (GT-i9250)

BUT truly stay away from the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon. Its 4G and and its gets terrible reception and battery life. Worst Android device yet because of that. I had it for 30 days and couldn't wait to get rid of it. I will say ICE CREAM SANDWICH ran awesome though!
    8 gig iPhone Edge 2G (first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using bootneuter and blackra1n.
    8 gig iPhone 3G (first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using Whited00r CFW
    16 gig iPhone 3GS (new bootrom): UNLKD/JB using ultrasn0w/limera1n.
    16 gig Wifi iPad first day iPad JB using greenpois0n.
    32 gig Wifi/3G iPad first day iPad UNLKD/JB using greenpois0n.
    32 gig iPhone 4(first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using ultrasn0w/greenpois0n
    Apps: 157 installed 25 developed.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

This Apple against the world is just lols at this point. At first I was annoyed, but now it's just comical, especially since they are lsing more than they seem to be winning now.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I myself am pretty damn sick of Apple trying to sue everybody... They are making stupid patents on things like capacitive touch screens and facial recognition, then suing everyone for everything they can possibly find! Soon, since they now have the patent for things they didnt create in the first place, there going to start suing EVERYBODY for those!! Ugg... Stupid Apple.. I'm ready for them to disappear off the planet...

Green Apple
    Thanks

again!!! stop with this, change the issues pleaasseee!!!!!

Thanks

The galaxy nexus is my very first android device and I'll never go back to iOS, good fukn riddance.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guitarded View Post
    The galaxy nexus is my very first android device and I'll never go back to iOS, good fukn riddance.
    Agreed !!! The nexus is not my first Android device but will be last stop for 2 years until technology evolves again. I have almost all iPhone until the 4s. I can't stand apple and them bullying all these companies with they are buy others for patient reasons. Apple will get a wake up call soon. They better enjoy while they can. In regards to this suit, the court is going to throw this out the windows because its all OS related. Not hardware. Stupid apple!

Banned
    Thanks

FUK apple, this is why I stopped buying their products and will NEVER buy another one if this continues. I swear its like apple is so terrified of Samsung and their success that this is the only way they feel that they can compete?!?!

Samsung phones don't have or do anything all the other Android phones do but Samsung is by far the most popular of Android devices and they Sell like 3 times as many phones as apple does.

Why don't the courts and or the government see that apple is just being anti-competitive and monopolistic with this BS

FUK apple, this is why I stopped buying their products and will NEVER buy another one if this continues. I swear its like apple is so terrified of Samsung and their success that this is the only way they feel that they can compete?!?!

Samsung phones don't have or do anything all the other Android phones do but Samsung is by far the most popular of Android devices and they Sell like 3 times as many phones as apple does.

Why don't the courts and or the government see that apple is just being anti-competitive and monopolistic with this BS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post

Notice how you only come out to speak on apple v Samsung or other lawsuits. And only hate on apple. I smell a troll. Seriously though, if all you're here for is to hate on apple mercilessly, then leave. I'm not really sure why you're on an apple fan site. Lol

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    I don't find it right that Apple is clearly only going after Samsung and HTC this aggressively. It's quite obvious who they are worried about. Having said that, aren't these OS related and really have nothing to do with Samsung?

Thanks

Maybe Apple should have chilled with some lawsuits and concentrated on making the 4s a little...better. I left Apple little while ago for the Galaxy S2. love it. Dont think I would ever go back to Apple. They would really need to change in my opinion, like a larger screen. And yes I still read up on this forum because family members still have the iphone and I like to keep up.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    Notice how you only come out to speak on apple v Samsung or other lawsuits. And only hate on apple. I smell a troll. Seriously though, if all you're here for is to hate on apple mercilessly, then leave. I'm not really sure why you're on an apple fan site. Lol
    Ive been here since August 2009--when I got my first iPhone....so please. STFU.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    Ive been here since August 2009--when I got my first iPhone....so please. STFU.
    Lol you're still on this? Get over it please.