Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] Bulletin - Get Notification Center On the Lock Screen

Default [Review] Bulletin - Get Notification Center On the Lock Screen

Many of us like the idea of having the ability to get Notification Center on our lock screens. One popular way to do this is by using IntelliScreenX, a $9.99 application that not only adds Notification Center to your lock screen, but also has multiple other extensive options. If that price is too high for you and you aren't in need of the extensive options, then there is a new, much cheaper package now available dubbed Bulletin by iOS developer Ma Jun. Setting you back just 99, Bulletin puts Notification Center, as is, on your lock screen.

You use Bulletin by invoking Notification Center on your lock screen the same way that you invoke it from anywhere else - pulling down from the status bar. It comes with a very compact and straightforward settings pane in the Settings application. They're not very extensive, but for 99, it's enough to make most people happy with it. The settings are shown below:

The first two settings are for 'Anywhere' so this means that it will apply to being on the home screen or in an application. You can make notification Center transparent like glass, which is unfortunately without blur. You can see everything behind Notification Center very clearly and that can make it difficult to focus on your widgets. For that reason, I leave that option turned off. Solutions like Ryan Petrich's FastBlurredNotificationCenter make better alternatives to making Notification Center transparent because it blurs what is supposed to be out of your focal point. The second setting is a feature that allows you to have a close button appear on a banner notification. That close button is present in IntelliScreenX's Messages+ application only, however Bulletin brings that manual banner dismissal feature to every banner notification that is received - not just SMS or iMessages.

Under these settings you find a section that pertains only to Notification Center when it's opened up on your lock screen. Of course, you have the enable and disable button which allows you to choose if you want Notification Center on your lock screen or not. The transparency option does the same thing on the lock screen that it does anywhere else, but it appears better on the lock screen because there is very little to focus on when you're on the lock screen. The last setting allows you to hide the giant lock screen clock when Notification Center is opened. When you slide it back up, the clock becomes visible again. IntelliScreenX also comes with a feature to hide or show that clock.

For the most part, what you are getting is the ability to have Notification Center on your lock screen, a transparent Notification Center appearance, and the ability to manually dismiss notification banners. That is what comes with Bulletin. It is direct competition with IntelliScreenX. If you want a ton of settings, Bulletin isn't for you - IntelliScreenX is what you might be looking for. If you are looking for a lightweight and cheap way to read your Notification Center and widgets from your lock screen, I can absolutely recommend Bulletin to you. It is very well built and having the option to manually dismiss banners also gives you as much time as you need to read a banner instead of it disappearing on you before you can read it.

Bulletin is completely compatible with other tweaks that edit Notification Center such as third party widgets or Ori Kadosh's Custom NC Background which lets you pick an image for the Notification Center background. It was recently updated to support backgrounds for Notification Center on the lock screen. Note that you need to be on iOS 5 or higher to use Bulletin since this tweak is built for Notification Center and notification banners.

Name: Bulletin
    Price: 99
    Version: 1.0
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Ma Jun
    Editor's Rating: / 4.5/5

Sources: Ma Jun

Thanks

Sounds stupid. There are already alerts on the lockscreen, what more do you need?

Cool I've always wanted that feature because I have toggles on my notifications drop down

Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
    Sounds stupid. There are already alerts on the lockscreen, what more do you need?
    I guess seeing the weather would be useful

Passing by. Seeing something I don't need and moving on. Modding your device is limitless and the more tweaks at our finger tips the better. And a little competition is good for both the developers and users.

Green Apple
    Thanks

...........................anyways

I've been waiting for something like this. thank you for this post.

You missed the point of it. You can use any widget that you download from Cydia on your lock screen. What you choose to do with your own creativity is only limited by yourself.

I coughed up the $9.99 for ISX, so this isn't even an option for me.

ISX seemed to crash my build when I had it installed. Haven't used it since. This is a perfect tweak for me.

ISX is better. You can check your tweets and Facebook newsfeed from your lock screen too. Plus you get messages+ which makes ISX totally worth it. Love not having to leave my apps to text.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    ISX is better. You can check your tweets and Facebook newsfeed from your lock screen too. Plus you get messages+ which makes ISX totally worth it. Love not having to leave my apps to text.
    Yes, it is a lot better. However for 10% of the price with Bulletin, you get what you pay for.

Intelliscreen x is the only way to go. Its %95 of the reason i could not wait to jailbreak my a5. The other %5 is customization. But intelliscreen x is more than worth it. Quit bein cheap. Get that sh1t!!!!

what background is that?

iPhone? More like MyPhone GooseG's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ipod touch u View Post
    what background is that?
    It's a picture of cloudy mountains. Duh. It dosnt have a name.

Thanks

I still see IntellaScreenX as the Best out there..unless they can make one with Less Features but keep some of the Major stuff but say for......$4.99 or....$3.99

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Security error with this package... you can bypass having to slide to unluck if you have 'omni stat widget' and try to do a respring. Automatically goes to SB. Author of this package... please update with compatibilities with other NotifCent widgets! Thanks!

KJ

Green Apple
    Thanks

I disagree with most of the above posts. I'm severely irritated with how heavy and buggy ISX is and I'd really like my money back. With all the tweaks for notification center, all you need is to be able to have it on the lock screen and ISx is pretty much useless for me. Of course, I'm not a fb or twitter junky so all I need is the weather, contacts, some apps, weekill, and to have it on my lock screen. ISX is always open on my lockscreen and it pisses me off to no end. It uses too much ram and I see way more springboard crashes with it installed than not. RAM goes down way too fast with it on. To say that a tweak that allows notification center on lockscreen is pretty narrow minded for someone who's jailbroken IMO. I think it's awesome and about time someone made one. thank you, you have my dollar Now if I could get my $10 back from ISX I'd be happy. Sorry for the bad review but it does suck.

Quote Originally Posted by edwilk55 View Post
    ISX seemed to crash my build when I had it installed. Haven't used it since. This is a perfect tweak for me.
    Same here.
    Last edited by ianblondeau; 02-12-2012 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ianblondeau View Post
    I disagree with most of the above posts. I'm severely irritated with how heavy and buggy ISX is and I'd really like my money back. ... ISX is always open on my lockscreen and it pisses me off to no end. It uses too much ram and I see way more springboard crashes with it installed than not. RAM goes down way too fast with it on. ... Sorry for the bad review but it does suck.
    I don't think you're doing it right, then. I have exactly none of those problems with ISX.

that said, this is a useful tweak for .99 for those w/o ISX.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Not sure how I could be doing it wrong. I've been hacking iPhones since the beginning. I've tried all the settings. It just doesn't work well for me and what I have on my device. Isx opens when I unplug my device from power or from my car head unit as well and activator isn't doing it. Anyways, bulletin is working perfect for me and doesn't have all the other stuff I don't need. So yay for a simple tweak to finally get notification center in lockscreen. The way it should have been stock

Quote Originally Posted by ianblondeau View Post
    I disagree with most of the above posts. I'm severely irritated with how heavy and buggy ISX is and I'd really like my money back. With all the tweaks for notification center, all you need is to be able to have it on the lock screen and ISx is pretty much useless for me. Of course, I'm not a fb or twitter junky so all I need is the weather, contacts, some apps, weekill, and to have it on my lock screen. ISX is always open on my lockscreen and it pisses me off to no end. It uses too much ram and I see way more springboard crashes with it installed than not. RAM goes down way too fast with it on. To say that a tweak that allows notification center on lockscreen is pretty narrow minded for someone who's jailbroken IMO. I think it's awesome and about time someone made one. thank you, you have my dollar Now if I could get my $10 back from ISX I'd be happy. Sorry for the bad review but it does suck.
    I have to disagree with you. It's some of the best jailbreak software I've ever used.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast