+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] No Update - Keep Your iDevice From Looking for Updates

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
With iOS 5, the new OTA (over the air) updating service has been implemented allowing us to update the firmware of our iPhones, iPod touches, and iPads over an internet
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default [Review] No Update - Keep Your iDevice From Looking for Updates

With iOS 5, the new OTA (over the air) updating service has been implemented allowing us to update the firmware of our iPhones, iPod touches, and iPads over an internet connection without the need to connect to a computer and open iTunes to download and install the new updates. While for long a requested feature, jailbreakers don't take too kindly to it because it bugs them when an update comes out. Like a fly that zips around your head and buzzes in your ear, you want nothing more than to get rid of that annoying notification that pops up, telling you that there is an update available for your firmware.

We avoid updates for the most part because, as jailbreakers, we want to keep the latest untethered jailbreak at our disposal. If you absolutely hate getting that icon on your Settings application that prompts you that there is a firmware update from the firmware you are already running, there have been many tweaks that can hide that badge for you. But, maybe you don't want the simply put a band-aid over the badge, maybe you want to tackle the iDevice's ability to search for OTA updates altogether. This will also get rid of the gray badge that appears inside of your Settings application.

The jailbreak tweak is called No Update by iOS developer greensnow and you can snag it for free today from the Modmyi repository in Cydia. As earlier explained, it removes the iDevice's ability to search for any OTA updates for your firmware. We are very excited about this tweak for several reasons:
    • No more annoying notifications
    • No accidental updates
    • Less battery drain
    • No impact on system performance

Since there is no chance of the iDevice finding any updates with No Update installed, you won't accidentally allow the update by tapping on something by mistake. Since your iDevice is not actively searching for updates, it will also help the iDevice save battery power because it won't be calling out to Apple's servers to verify if you're on the latest firmware or not. Since all it is doing is disabling a system process, it doesn't slow anything down. It doesn't patch anything. It just keeps something from being able to work by changing some values.

There are of course, some small downsides to this jailbreak tweak. One of the largest being that you might be unaware that your firmware is outdated. Apple could come out with an amazing firmware update with a lot of new features and because you have this tweak installed, you might not even know about it until long after it is released. On the bright side, most updates are made to fill the gaps that jailbreak hackers use to create their jailbreaks. So you might find No Update to be more useful than it is a burden. I personally feel that it's a great jailbreak tweak and I highly recommend it being that it is simple and pleasant. Unfortunately, this jailbreak tweak will not keep iTunes from telling you that you have an update, but you can always keep iTunes from giving you that popup. It will just show that you have an update in the section where your iDevice information is.

Name: No Update
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.1
    Developer: greensnow
    Repo: Modmyi
    Editor's Rating:  4/5

Sources: Cydia
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 02-10-2012 at 01:54 PM.

Thanks

Isn't it impossible to actually update a jailbroken device OTA?
    In fact, I wish there was a tweak that allowed OTA updates to actually work. This is a very well made tweak though.
    Last edited by Zokunei; 02-10-2012 at 01:54 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    Lol yeah. I think so. But, this will still keep those notifications away and help save battery life. So it's not useless or anything.

iPhone? More like MyPhone dannyrocket's Avatar
    Thanks

Yea I like this tweak!

Thanks
    Nice tweak, though I really wonder how much it actually improves the battery time.

My iPhone is a Part of Me RandyTG's Avatar
    Thanks

In what deep cave do you need to be living in not to be aware of each and every software release that comes out for the iPhone/iPad?

My iPhone is a Part of Me keenpois0n's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    In fact, I wish there was a tweak that allowed OTA updates to actually work. This is a very well made tweak though.

it's not, I have done it. coming from 5.0 to 5.0.1 on my i4 while semi tethered. although I had to exit recovery with redsnow then boot tethered, it was back up and running on 5.0.1. the cool thing as well was it was still jailbroken, with all my tweaks and settings and such.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I would think the only device for which the ota updates wouldn't work would be iphones with ipad basebands.
    Last edited by budsalinger; 02-10-2012 at 04:27 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

This tweak or the NoOTA Badge tweak? Hmm.... I think it's moving more toward me getting the No Update tweak.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by keenpois0n View Post
    it's not, I have done it. coming from 5.0 to 5.0.1 on my i4 while semi tethered. although I had to exit recovery with redsnow then boot tethered, it was back up and running on 5.0.1. the cool thing as well was it was still jailbroken, with all my tweaks and settings and such.
    no way, really? i've never heard nor imagined any such thing. that's really cool if true and if future updates would work like that. can anyone else confirm?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by budsalinger View Post
    no way, really? i've never heard nor imagined any such thing. that's really cool if true and if future updates would work like that. can anyone else confirm?
    I can't confirm it, but it seems you wouldn't keep your jailbreak after you update since the updates plug up the exploits.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    I can't confirm it, but it seems you wouldn't keep your jailbreak after you update since the updates plug up the exploits.
    I don't really know how or why, but on my 3GS when I went from 5.0-5.01 OTA it actually kept my jailbreak nd everything set up as it was. I jus ran the corona patch to untether and have left it alone since

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    yeah it'd patch corona exploits, if it was going 5.0.1 to 5.1, but it doesn't patch limerain, so I was still jailbroken tethered. when I did it I assumed I'd need to restore, or at least re jb

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shiliangtu View Post
    I wish there was a tweak that allowed OTA updates to actually work.
    have you read anything aside from the first post in this thread?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by keenpois0n View Post
    have you read anything aside from the first post in this thread?
    I've been away from MMi since I made my post. I tried updating from 5.0 to 5.0.1 on my iPod semi tethered and it gave some kind of error after it downloaded the update. So it didn't install. I googled it but everything just confirmed that it wouldn't work. I guess some iPhones can do it? Weird.