+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] Jepit - Customize App Switching Animations

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Check this out - animations for switching between applications. iOS, as we know, comes with the stock animation for application switching that kind of shuffles the applications around like each
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default [Review] Jepit - Customize App Switching Animations

Check this out - animations for switching between applications.

iOS, as we know, comes with the stock animation for application switching that kind of shuffles the applications around like each application is a card; the animation is horizontal by default. Now, thanks to a new jailbreak tweak dubbed Jepit by iOS developer VincenzoBB, we have the ability to customize our switching animation by just flipping a couple of switches. Above is a screenshot showing all of the switches that you can control from the Jepit settings which are made available to you after you install the tweak from Cydia.

The list isn't too long, however there is a good number of settings to get by with. The first switch lets you enable and disable the custom animations entirely. The rest of the switches in the top section have to do with different kinds of animations. The first one, rotation, does not work on the iPhone. App fade makes the application you are in turn into a black screen and then change into the application that you are switching to. Vertical uses the stock iOS app switching animation, but the animation is vertical instead of horizontal. There is an iPad version for this setting too. Below that are two other animations that let you choose between a vertical or horizontal stretch - these animations basically take your screen and stretch it until the next application you are switching to appears. Below is a demonstration video of some of the animations:

Under the animations (also demonstrated in the video above) exists a second group of settings which have to do with animation speed. The three speed levels are slow, fast, and very fast. Above that is a setting that lets you enable and disable your custom speed. From testing, the speed change is only really noticeable on some of the settings, for example the vertical animation.

Apart from what the tweak does, there are a couple of problems with it. For one, Horizontal is not spelled right when you look at the last animation, "Orizzontal stretch." Also, the rotation animation seems to revert to the App fade animation on the iPod touch and iPhone - this probably has to do with the fact that Rotation is not compatible with the iPhone. It seems to be for iPad only because it will not work on the iPod touch either. Some of the animations are a bit glitchy in appearance in that they aren't exactly fluid. Changing the speeds can make this even worse where it becomes so glitchy that it lags at times.

As long as you are selectively careful with which options you select in Jepit, you might enjoy it. I don't think it's a terrible tweak by any means, but there are certainly some bugs that should be addressed. It's likely that we will see an updated version that flattens out those bumpy issues. Since it lets you customize a feature of iOS that we rarely pay very much attention to, it's a handy little idea to brighten up our user-experience. I think that a good idea for the next update would be some graphical optimization and added animations. Try it if it sounds interesting to you!

Name: Jepit
    Price: $1.59
    Version: 1.0
    Repo: Modmyi
    Developer: VincenzoBB
    Editor's Rating: / 3.5/5

Sources: VincenzoBB

Thanks

$1.59 for something that's beta at best. Devs are getting money hungry anymore, releasing glitchy tweaks for a cost. Just doesn't seem right to me, spend a little time and release something stable not something that changing an included value causes glitches and lag.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I wish I had an iPod that was that long...

Not worth the cost in my opinion though

Thanks

Orizzontal

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by n00neimp0rtant View Post
    Orizzontal
    Hah. Yah.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by babyydaveyy View Post
    I wish I had an iPod that was that long...

Not worth the cost in my opinion though
    Hmmm...iBlong? (oblong)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by n00neimp0rtant View Post
    Orizzontal
    This ^

Thanks

With the non iOS friendly YouTube links still?

-Luke

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lkailburn View Post
    With the non iOS friendly YouTube links still?

-Luke
    Not sure why they won't work. I've been trying a new method.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 02-06-2012 at 09:46 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone evolution83's Avatar
    Thanks

Not worth a dime

Thanks

its funny cause i got this for free on MdMyi repo last night lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shiliangtu View Post
    mations. The first one, rotation, does not work on the iPhone. App fade makes the application you are in turn into a black screen and then change into the application that you are switching to. Vertical uses the stock iOS app switching animation, but the animation is vertical instead of horizontal. There is an iPad version for this set
    Please refrain from quoting the entire article and making scrolling a nightmare.

Thanks

Lags