Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's 3G Devices Already Return to German Online Store as Motorola Ban Suspended

Default Apple's 3G Devices Already Return to German Online Store as Motorola Ban Suspended

All of Apple's 3G devices were briefly unavailable in the company's online German store.

Earlier today word spread that Motorola won an injunction against the sale of Apple’s 3G devices and that they were pulled from Apple’s German online store.

Well, the ban has already been suspended.

“All iPad and iPhone models will be back on sale through Apple’s online store in Germany shortly” Apple said in a statement. “Apple appealed this ruling because Motorola repeatedly refuses to license this patent to Apple on reasonable terms, despite having declared it an industry standard patent seven years ago.”

Back in December Motorola was successful in winning an injunction against App;e 3G products based on Apple’s infringement of a FRAND patent owned by Motorola relating to 3G technology. The ban was set to go into effect today, but Apple successfully suspended the ban at the literal last-minute by arguing Motorola refused to license the 3G/UMTS patent under FRAND terms.

FRAND patents are declared “essential” in implementing industry wide standard technologies like 3G communications technologies in the mobile world. FRAND agreements are supposed to prevent anti-competitive practices within industries. Whether Motorola has been attempting to prevent Apple from acquiring a fair FRAND agreement will be proven in court. However, it could just as likely be a case of Apple refusing to pay the industry standard licensing fees.

For now Apple’s products are still available in the EU and they will likely remain as the courts will force Apple to pay up what Motorola has already demanded, or Motorola will have to renegotiate fair FRAND terms.

Source: Apple Insider
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 02-03-2012 at 01:18 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    FALSE the ban was NOT suspended because apple appealed it? it was suspended because MOTO agreed to an undisclosed amount to license it. which is why it was lifted, get the facts straight and dont try making other Companies look bad because youre a apple fanboy, i am not an android fanboy but i do believe that its stupid.

Surely it's time Motorola crawled into a corner and died!! Not seen a single product that says "wow" from them in such a long time! Last time was the razor when it 1st came out!! Strangely enough 1st phone to have iTunes lol

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jsms0905 View Post
    FALSE the ban was NOT suspended because apple appealed it? it was suspended because MOTO agreed to an undisclosed amount to license it. which is why it was lifted, get the facts straight and dont try making other Companies look bad because youre a apple fanboy, i am not an android fanboy but i do believe that its stupid.
    ^^Truth

Article uses suspended to make it seem like Apple may not have violated any patents, possibly the decision is already on its way to be overturned.
    What I heard is Apple agreed to put the money in a bond which would be the licensing fee so they can continue to sell their phones while persuing further legal action, this way if Apple is successful they get the whole amount back and if Motorola wins Motorola gets the whole thing and get some sort of licensing agreement.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scroogelives View Post
    Surely it's time Motorola crawled into a corner and died!! Not seen a single product that says "wow" from them in such a long time! Last time was the razor when it 1st came out!! Strangely enough 1st phone to have iTunes lol
    You don't find their products appealing so they should go and die? Wow... I sure hope I never meet you in person. Sheesh. By the way, plenty of people would disagree with you wholeheartedly. The new Razer is pretty impressive. Thinnest damn smartphone on the planet by quite a bit. Having been bought out by Google I also expect to start seeing stock Android on their devices. Lots of things to like about that.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The level of emotion in the responses to this article seems excessive. C'mon, it can never be that serious lol

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    You don't find their products appealing so they should go and die? Wow...
    Too late he does not like you because you called him out on this, so he wishes you... Just playing.
    Anyways I too am looking forward what Motorola will have coming out soon, would be great to get a hardware that works flawlessly with the software.

Banned
    Thanks

Ive been searching this site and other apple sites for info about the study that shows iOS apps crash more than Android apps. cant find it on any apple sites buts its all over the web.

I doubt Motorola is refusing to license to Apple, when they license it to every other company.

Quote Originally Posted by scroogelives View Post
    The first phone to have iTunes was the Rokr E1. The Razr V3i came later.
    If I can't mod it...I don't want it.