Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] HomePlayer - A New Music Interface

Default [Review] HomePlayer - A New Music Interface

Check out this new music interface!

One of the best things about owning an iDevice is the iPod usage that they have built into them. Apple is well known for their iPods, but they really don't focus their business on them anymore. Instead, we have these all-in-one gadgets like the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad that have virtual iPod functionality built into them. However, let's say you don't like the music interface of iOS. Well, we have an awesome new layout that we think you will love and it comes from fabled iOS developer DjKira. The application has been dubbed HomePlayer and it will give you a whole new music experience on your iOS device.

If you take a look at the image above, HomePlayer is a sweet new interface that puts your home screen wallpaper in the background and has beautiful iOS-like controls. You activate HomePlayer by setting an Activator action to open it, so you can choose anything you want. The animation for opening it looks very smooth. On the side of HomePlayer, you will notice two other buttons. The first button is of a gear, which you can probably assume means some kind of functionality. If you tap on it, you will get the screen that we have shown you below:

The screen shows the ability to open the Music application or to close the settings. When you tap on that gear, the animations pull your album art up slightly in a very elegant way. This gives you the option to choose between using the Music application or using HomePlayer for your music controls or interface. The HomePlayer interface can be a lot quicker, but I would recommend using the Music application if you want to pick individual songs. The other button at the side is a blue arrow. When you tap on that button, you'll get the screen shown below:

As you see, the blue button gives you the lyrics to any song that you are playing - whether they are on your iDevice or not. HomePlayer searches the Internet to grab your lyrics. This is a very nice feature, because normally when grabbing lyrics for a song, you needed to go into iTunes and manually paste them all in and then sync. What a pain! HomePlayer helps make this a lot easier for you, and when you are viewing your lyrics, a very smooth animation moves your album art to the left and you can scroll around to view any point in the lyrics that you want to.

We think that HomePlayer is a great new interface for your music, which is great to have for quick music access. You can use it as a Music application replacement, or you can use it to quickly control your music using Activator. You cannot use the home button to exit HomePlayer, you have to use the Close button that is located in the gear section of HomePlayer in the second image of this review. You will need to have some kind of internet connection to get the lyrics. More is that you need to be running iOS 4 or newer to use HomePlayer. If you like it, then try it out!

I had a chat with DjKira to learn more about him and HomePlayer, here are his answers to my questions.

Anthony: Can you introduce yourself to the Modmyi readers in about a paragraph?
    DjKira: My name is Pigi Galdi. I'm 16 and I live in Rome, Italy. I started development for iOS one year ago. My most popular tweaks are: LockAlert, LockLyrics, WAlpha, and HomePlayer. Now I'm working hard on a new tweak. It's called LikeAndroid and it's a sort of Android Lockscreen port for iOS. It will be live on Cydia in a few days and, trust me, It's going to be amazing.

Anthony: What made you want to create an interface that differed from the Music application?
    DjKira: Because I needed a fast interface to change songs and view lyrics without having to open the Music application because it is too slow to load all my songs in my library and it doesn't allow me to find lyrics via the Internet.

Anthony: Does HomePlayer support music platforms like Spotify, Grooveshark, and Pandora?
    DjKira: Unfortunately no and for now, I don't think they'll be implemented.

Anthony: Are you planning any updates for HomePlayer in the future that might increase its functions?
    DjKira: Sure. We are working on an update that will include more amazing features.

Name: HomePlayer
    Price: $1.99
    Version: 1.0.0
    Repo: Modmyi
    Developer: DjKira
    Editor's Rating:  4/5

Let us know what you think about HomePlayer in the comments!

Sources: DjKira

This is very nice. They should add a feature of just click on a song and making a ringtone out of it. I know there's a app for it but it would be nicer to have it as an in-app feature either to this new interface or the actual stock iPod app

Does this work on iPad 2 as well as iPhone 4??

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesey123 View Post
    Does this work on iPad 2 as well as iPhone 4??
    My guess is yes. I can't tell you for sure though, unfortunately.

I've got this and when I activate it, it locks my iPhone 4S on 5.0.1. 100% total lock. I'm waiting for an update before trying it again.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeStorm View Post
    I've got this and when I activate it, it locks my iPhone 4S on 5.0.1. 100% total lock. I'm waiting for an update before trying it again.
    I think I just had the same problem on my iPod touch 4G. It looks like the interface is failing to appear. It doesn't lock your device.. it just doesn't respond because HomePlayer is telling the device that the GUI is open. It technically is, but there is a glitch making it not appear for some reason.

I would shoot an email over to DjKira and see what's up. You can reach him in Cydia.

It was a very cool idea. but I've never had my phone freeze up so many times because of 1 tweak. when activating it, it probably freezes up the phone 50% of the time i try to use it. I hope this stability issue is fixed. Until then I wont be using it.

freezes springboard everytime, iphone 4 5.0.1

Guys please - can somebody tell me where I can download this wallpaper? I've been seeing it anywhere and I love it but I just can't find it

Why give it 4 of 5 stars if it's causing all these problems? Please base your reviews if it won't lock tock your phone. Yes it looks nice but if it doesn't work it's a -4 out of five so people won't be tricked into forking over $

Will wait for an update,nice idea but from reading it has a major problem.

Quote Originally Posted by mukhtarh1 View Post
    This is very nice. They should add a feature of just click on a song and making a ringtone out of it. I know there's a app for it but it would be nicer to have it as an in-app feature either to this new interface or the actual stock iPod app
    whats the app called for that song to make a ringtone out of it? thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by blackconvoy View Post
    whats the app called for that song to make a ringtone out of it? thank you!
    The app is called unlimtones in cydia

Quote Originally Posted by fatmono View Post
    Guys please - can somebody tell me where I can download this wallpaper? I've been seeing it anywhere and I love it but I just can't find it
    I pretty much post a link to it in tons of reviews that I write and I'm getting a little tired of grabbing it and pasting it in every one. I'm sure if you do a search in some of my past reviews, you'll find it.

Quote Originally Posted by durdan1 View Post
    Why give it 4 of 5 stars if it's causing all these problems? Please base your reviews if it won't lock tock your phone. Yes it looks nice but if it doesn't work it's a -4 out of five so people won't be tricked into forking over $
    Hmm, okay, well, I rated it before it gave me problems. SO. In a nutshell, common sense. But, I'm not going to change the rating until I see what the new update that DjKira is working on does to the functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    I think I just had the same problem on my iPod touch 4G. It looks like the interface is failing to appear. It doesn't lock your device.. it just doesn't respond because HomePlayer is telling the device that the GUI is open. It technically is, but there is a glitch making it not appear for some reason.

I would shoot an email over to DjKira and see what's up. You can reach him in Cydia.
    I have the same problem with my Ipad2 5.0.1 its not there but i installed it.

Complete freeze/lock up on iPhone 4 5.0.1 here as well.
    Last edited by justincase; 02-01-2012 at 09:07 PM.

same here, caused a springboard freeze/crash. homeplayer doesnt appear at all. 3GS on 4.2.1. have dropped an email to the djkira, still waiting for his reply.
    . iPhone 3GS 32GB . FW 4.2.1 . Black . greenpois0n .

click the "thanks" button to thank me if my post has helped u
    in any way. that's the only reward i get for my effort. u may
    alternatively donate to alexcdigi (at) yahoo (dot) com via paypal
    to help me support my family

Complete freeze+lock up on my iPhone 4S + iPhone 4 running iOS 5.0.1 here as well. Bullcrap worth $ 1,99

Ok I found several problems. Here are the different cases :

- your ipod app is not running, you don't have a song launched via the multitasking bar, and you try to launch homeplayer --> the GUI doesn't show up, the device freezes. You have to wait 2/3mn until your device resprings to fix it, or reset manually.

- your ipod app is not running, but you have a song launched via the multitasking bar --> homeplayer launches just fine, but when you exit the GUI, your springboard is frozen, you can't scroll your springboard pages, but everything else works just fine. You have to manually respring your device to fix this.

- your ipod app is running with or without a song launched : everything works just fine, including homeplayer.

djkira just updated it. works fine now, but "Open Music" doesnt work. shows "Unsupported URL". also, Homeplayer can only be activated at the homescreen. would be great if it can be activated anywhere, eg within an app.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast