+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOSOpenDev - Develop jailbreak packages in Xcode

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
A developer named Spencer James is nearing release of his project iOSOpenDev , which "sets up user environment, Xcode, and iOS SDK for 'open' development." The project will come with
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,223 Posts

Default iOSOpenDev - Develop jailbreak packages in Xcode

A developer named Spencer James is nearing release of his project iOSOpenDev, which "sets up user environment, Xcode, and iOS SDK for 'open' development." The project will come with Xcode templates for creating common types of jailbreak tweaks, including Activator listeners, command line tools, dynamic libraries, Notification Center widgets, SBSettings toggles, and Mobile Substrate tweaks. It will even build .deb files of the completed projects for when a developer wants to submit to Cydia for publication (although community repo managers all pull apart .deb's for security anyway, to understand the packages contents before publication).

Many of the developers who've been creating jailbroken apps do not use Xcode, Apple's iOS (and Mac) development suite of tools, to create their packages. For many new developers, or folks who have used Xcode extensively in developing AppStore apps but would like to create tweaks for the jailbreak world as well, finding documentation and learning how to prepare packages for Cydia distribution can be challenging.

We chatted with James over email, and he says he's currently finalizing packaging and testing across multiple OS X installs to ensure stability; and then will be releasing the project. It should be a week or so.

He's got a YouTube video up which shows the creation of a quick SBSettings toggle all using Xcode.

A project like this is significant, as it allows many new developers to easily enter the jailbreak development world; hopefully creating an even healthier jailbreak app landscape in addition to offering yet another easy tool for creation of jailbreak tweaks. Look for iOSOpenDev soon - we'll also let you know when it's live.

iOSOpenDev

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Thanks

Awesome!! I like to import files from theos projects to xcode to have the auto completion, but this is way better!
    Last edited by Maxner; 01-28-2012 at 01:33 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,122 Times in 2,709 Posts

Great idea, it could be a wonderful tool. On the other hand, I think it'd open the doors to many not well thought out schemes as well. Time will tell. Overall good idea, me thinks...
    Last edited by metaserph; 01-28-2012 at 02:17 PM.
    @Metaserph
    "You can only attain Peace through spreading Love to create Unity and earn the Respect of others" - Complex Simplicity

*T*
    Thanks

Don't hate if this sounds stupid... But how do devs normally make the Cydia things

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Honestly, I don't think this is a great idea. Yeah, autocompletion on Xcode is nice, but I'm ashamed to use such an unstable tool to dev anything serious. DHowett's theos is for the win. Sorry, you could've just added logos support to Xcode. That would have been better imho.

Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
    Don't hate if this sounds stupid... But how do devs normally make the Cydia things
    gcc. mainly using the theos makefile env to compile easily

[unstable = Xcode, not iOSOpenDev btw]
    Last edited by _qwertyoruiop_; 01-28-2012 at 02:12 PM.

Thanks

I always wanted to make a tweak!
    HIT THANKS BUTTON TO SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION

Thanks

Nice idea
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by s0ulp1xel View Post
    I always wanted to make a tweak!
    Yep me too.

Developer
    Thanks

I don't see how this is significantly better than the existing options, such as Theos or "just building it yourself."
    The sort of people who require code autocompletion to get anything done probably don't have any business inserting code into SpringBoard or the like.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DHowett View Post
    I don't see how this is significantly better than the existing options, such as Theos or "just building it yourself."
    The sort of people who require code autocompletion to get anything done probably don't have any business inserting code into SpringBoard or the like.
    We haven't seen this yet but I'd imagine it actually uses Theos & Logos.
    Also I correctly develop within Xcode using a dummy project so I can quickly create new files and have the nicer syntax highlighting + code completion. And then just type "make package install" into an open terminal window (hundreds of times a day)
    Although I don't need code completion or syntax highlighting (for my first 3 or 4 months I didn't have either) when writing lots and lots of code it's nice to know you've spelt it right before you compile (syntax highlighting) and code competition is just nice to have anyway.
    The same reasons I like them during tweak development are the same reasons they are added to tools like Xcode to start with.

Speaking personally I can't wait to try this out, and as I've setup scripts to run before Xcode compiles (it was a texture packer for a game but the principal is the same) I'm surprised looking at it I didn't bother trying to add a little script to run Theos from within Xcode. (as I imagine this does)

Developer
    Thanks

My first comment here in (probably) years, just to support DHowett's comment.

-- @aaronash

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DHowett View Post
    Got to agree. On a side note Xcode is horrible anyway.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Can't wait

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 414 Posts

I think its a great idea and could quite possibly not only have a "significant" difference but an impact on who is able to tackle tweaks and so forth for Cydia. I will agree Xcode is not the greatest way to compile code and prepare for Cydia but with this it could help "new" users getting started before they tackle something a little more difficult such as "THEOS". This is Just my 2 cents

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

will this make jailbreak apps more stable, use less resources, and drain less battery?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post
    will this make jailbreak apps more stable, use less resources, and drain less battery?
    Nope... if you suck at programming then this will change nothing except spelling mistakes
    Get the latest info for NoAccSplash Here
    Currently it should work on iOS 4.x - 6.x
    If you'd like to help extend its functionality, the source is also available.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have a really dumb question and a thought...

I really like my iPhone but when it's jailbroken, it's a much better device and supports my workflow much better.

Take an app like Lockinfo. I'm sure at some point it has been submitted to Apple and denied. Wouldn't the best work around for not having a jailbreak to be a registered developer and then you could pretty much load what ever you want on your iPhone?

So the thought process would be this:

1. Instead of waiting months for a usable jailbreak, sell the base code for the app.

2. Compile and install the app via xcode to your own device for "testing"

3. Profit?

Am I wrong in my assumption that an app like Lockinfo could be installed that way? I would assume that testers write programs all the time that violate Apple's API guidelines.

I know for me it is more than worth it to pay the $100 a year to be a dev to have access to cool programs!

Thanks

Any application installed from Xcode is installed thru the sandbox, meaning it can't play with any other app unless you have permission.

Tweaks like LockInfo cannot be installed like regular apps on Xcode because they hook into springboard and other fun things that sandboxed apps aren't allowed to do. Many things on Cydia require MobileSubstrate anyway and you can't install that even using a Developer account because Developer applications can't touch System files..
    Get the latest info for NoAccSplash Here
    Currently it should work on iOS 4.x - 6.x
    If you'd like to help extend its functionality, the source is also available.

Thanks

It seems like a lot of you are quite critical of this project, but it does enable a few really nice things:

-One window instead of an amalgamation of Finder, text editor, terminal, and iExplorer windows
    -Easy iOS Simulator support
    -Templates for SBSettings toggles and Activator listeners