+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: T-Mobile to Begin Offering Official Support for iPhones Starting Jan. 30th

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default T-Mobile to Begin Offering Official Support for iPhones Starting Jan. 30th

Although not selling the iPhone directly, a reportedly leaked employee memo reveals that T-Mobile will begin to offer official support for subscribers using unlocked versions of Apple’s popular handset on its network. The memo, originally published on TmoNews, notifies current T-Mobile employees that starting January 30, it will be initiating a support program for the carrier’s estimated one million customers who currently use an unlocked iPhone on the network.

The coverage of the new “iPhone Scope of Support” is not comprehensive but it does include help with the common procedures, information regarding handset features, and specifications along with “other basic device questions.” Currently the iPhone information on T-Mobile’s support page is a bit lacking and mainly focused on getting unlocked handset users up and running on the carrier’s network.

T-Mobile isn’t an official carrier partner and operates on a wireless spectrum that isn’t supported by the iPhone. According to a report in December, it had been mentioned that the Deutsche Telekom holding company had been “reframing” its AWS 3G spectrum in a move that granted compatibility for unlocked versions of the device. You guys probably already know that contract-free iPhones are unsubsidized and therefore cost significantly more than the AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon offerings. Unfortunately, it’s the only option for some users though.

T-Mobile’s CEO, Phillip Humm said that the company’s wireless operating frequency was the key reason as to why it doesn’t yet sell the iPhone. Since the merger between AT&T and T-Mobile failed, AT&T must also pay T-Mobile $3 billion in cash to fulfill the deal’s pre-negotiated terms. Apple’s smartphone is a major hit for any network that supports it and carriers who don’t have it have blamed poor customer sign-up rates due to not having access to the device.

All in all, it seems like good news for iPhone users on T-Mobile. Are any of you excited?

Source: TmoNews

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

If they offer 3G data instead of Edge then that's a great upgrade.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Problem though, this is too little too late. How many T-Mobile customers have bailed thinking they would be stuck with AT&T! Plus T-Mobile making the statement about the iPhone not coming. I was perfectly happy with my unlocked iPhone 3GS on Edge with T-Mobile, good service and great pricing. They should have gone this route earlier

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Tmobile has been supporting iPhones for years, they helped me set up my 1st gen iPhone in 2008.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

Check sources. $27 million.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i got a "iphone data plan" from tmobile in 08 on my 2g and then again the next year on my 3g .. this is OLD.. all you have to do is call CS and tell them you have a unlocked iphone and they will change your data plan and will give you way to set up your network settings step by step..

edge is bettter than nothing . when you have only that option you will take it

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikerlx View Post
    If they figure out how to unlock all the other baseband, then I'm willing to switch.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mindblown's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    If they figure out how to unlock all the other baseband, then I'm willing to switch.
    i think sherif hashim is working on it.
    Last edited by mindblown; 01-27-2012 at 11:58 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Cellular's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TimVFR View Post
    Problem though, this is too little too late. How many T-Mobile customers have bailed thinking they would be stuck with AT&T! Plus T-Mobile making the statement about the iPhone not coming. I was perfectly happy with my unlocked iPhone 3GS on Edge with T-Mobile, good service and great pricing. They should have gone this route earlier
    Well even tho u sign a contract with sprint or any phone company you do legally have 15 days to change your mind and not get the 2 year contract, its was implemented by the government.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikerlx View Post
    Exactly the same thought that I had when I saw this article. That's a MUST

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't understand the problem. All they are saying now is they will provide some official support. They aren't officially selling the iPhone (yet) or anything like that. You could have happily continued to unlock your iPhones and use them on the TMO network. honestly, nothing has changed except for some added tech support, basically.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Green Apple
    Thanks

C'mon! Anyone with political savvy knew that merger was doomed from the start. I am a T-Mobile subscriber and never contemplated if I would end up with AT&T. Washington was never going to allow it to happen.
    Last edited by chasev2; 01-28-2012 at 11:49 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iRick View Post
    Exactly the same thought that I had when I saw this article. That's a MUST
    Thing you don't understand is the iPhone most likely can't work on T-Mobile's 3G/4G network without a hardware change. Maybe there is something they can "turn on" to make it work, but I doubt they would do that until T-Mobile is officially selling the iPhone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

any idea if T-Mobile will start selling the iPhone or unlocked users like me getting 3G/4G?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,177 Times in 5,681 Posts

T-Mo has had for several years support for Smartphones/iPhones. I have used it myself in the past. This is awesome news.
    I hope soon T-Mo will offer the iPhone also. $750.00 is a lot of money, but worth it to me and many others buying non-contract factory unlocked iPhones.

Also, I live in the Phoenix Arizona area and they are already upgrading and testing the 1900mhz 3G band here(as they are doing in many major cities already), I have been able to use 3G several times so far in the last 2 weeks..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

great!! I'm in South East FL, in the Ft Lauderdale-Miami area, large cities as well, hopefully I'll be getting as lucky as you soon!! thx for your post....

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Holyloktar View Post
    Thing you don't understand is the iPhone most likely can't work on T-Mobile's 3G/4G network without a hardware change. Maybe there is something they can "turn on" to make it work, but I doubt they would do that until T-Mobile is officially selling the iPhone.
    You are exactly correct. Until they make a hardware change T-Mobile users will NEVER get more than Edge on the iPhone. It is not physically possible. For some, though it's not a big deal as they have a good phone on an affordable service. I finally jumped ship to the Galaxy S2 and absolutely LOVE it. I can have fast Internet while having a beautiful screen with everything and more of what I had on the iPhone.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,177 Times in 5,681 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Holyloktar View Post
    You are exactly correct. Until they make a hardware change T-Mobile users will NEVER get more than Edge on the iPhone. It is not physically possible. For some, though it's not a big deal as they have a good phone on an affordable service. I finally jumped ship to the Galaxy S2 and absolutely LOVE it. I can have fast Internet while having a beautiful screen with everything and more of what I had on the iPhone.
    Don't think so, Did you read my post? I and many others have posted that they also have been getting 3G service on unlocked iPhones. Las Vegas besides Phoenix area is another place where it is working (and I am sure there are a bunch more cities that are testing and upgrading) I know this for a fact.