+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Zephyr 1.1 Released With New Touch Features

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
A lot of you have been begging for this feature to be added to Zephyr. Now it's here. If you were one of the thousands begging chpwn for the ability
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 755 Posts

Default Zephyr 1.1 Released With New Touch Features

A lot of you have been begging for this feature to be added to Zephyr. Now it's here.

If you were one of the thousands begging chpwn for the ability to not only multitask but also for the ability to get onto your home screen using only touch gestures, then you'll be very happy to hear that he has done just that. To do this, chpwn has updated his extremely popular Zephyr (touch multitasking) tweak which we reviewed here upon its release, that allows you to toggle the App Switcher, switch between applications, and now exit an application using only touch gestures without ever having to use your home button. Here is a video demonstration of the new features:

You will see first and foremost that the settings for closing an application are actually merged with that of opening the App Switcher. When you are in an application, swiping up will close the application. Swiping up but pausing about halfway up will bring up the App Switcher, but if you are on the home screen, then obviously the App Switcher will pop up regardless if you pause or not since there are no applications open that you can exit.

I was at first confused as to how exactly you open the App Switcher since it appeared as though the settings were merged with that of closing an application. The key is that you pause halfway, it will take approximately one second for Zephyr to realize that you want the App Switcher open and that you don't want to only close the application. Even under the circumstances that you do exit the application, you can always open the App Switcher when you are on the home screen after exiting.

For many of us who purchased Zephyr, this literally means that we don't 'have' to use the home button anymore. The only reason that I could possibly see fit for using the home button is to enter DFU mode. I don't use the iOS 5 Camera button from the lock screen often, and I don't normally use the home button as a shortcut for going from the last SpringBoard page to the first. That being said, I think that Zephyr has replaced a hardware function of iOS with a great software counterpart.

You can go into the Zephyr settings and choose between swiping up to both toggle the App Switcher and exiting an application, or you can choose to have only the App Switcher opened. It's up to you how you ultimately want to use Zephyr, since the settings are extensive and intuitive. If you have never bought Zephyr before, buying version 1.1 will set you back $2.99 and you can download it from the BigBoss repo today!

Sources: chpwn
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 01-27-2012 at 08:26 PM.

Thanks

Seriously, I totally support these developers but what's the difference from this, and using activator(which is free) to setup these exact same gestures? I mean you can use activator to setup one or two finger slide gestures for calling the multitask menu or home button. I really don't see how this app is relevant aside from the pause your finger for combined effect. Don't hate. Just my .02 cents
    Last edited by reznor9; 01-27-2012 at 08:53 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

+1 for the WiFi network name

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reznor9 View Post
    Seriously, I totally support these developers but what's the difference from this, and using activator(which is free) to setup these exact same gestures? I mean you can use activator to setup one or two finger slide gestures for calling the multitask menu or home button. I really don't see how this app is relevant aside from the pause your finger for combined effect. Don't hate. Just my .02 cents
    I second you on those 2cents. I use the swipe on my status bar as my home button. Especially after my home button stop functioning efficiently. Activator is still the original in my opinion.

Thanks

Cool, I love zephyr nice little tweak

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i find it better than activater it has a smoother output in the way it follows your finger and activator only has a limited type of guesture and cannot run as smooth zerphyr has a more apple like guesture i guess thats what i like most about it

Thanks
    Thanked 9,122 Times in 2,709 Posts

Nice update, like the added functionality.
    @Metaserph
    "You can only attain Peace through spreading Love to create Unity and earn the Respect of others" - Complex Simplicity

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reznor9 View Post
    It would make more sense to use Zephyr for multitasking so that you can save your Activator gestures for other tweaks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    It would make more sense to use Zephyr for multitasking so that you can save your Activator gestures for other tweaks.
    So then you'll have two or three different things going on from one gesture?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    So then you'll have two or three different things going on from one gesture?
    No, Zephyr comes with settings to use more than one finger specifically for that reason. It's made to be foolproof with Activator. Never underestimate the developmental power of Ryan Petrich and Grant Paul. They collaborate more than you know .

iPhone? More like MyPhone Spiteful's Avatar
    Thanks

Very nice update. I love how smoothly it pushes the applications away
    iPhone4 - Absinthe 2.2.4
    New iPad - Absinthe 2.2.4

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    No, Zephyr comes with settings to use more than one finger specifically for that reason. It's made to be foolproof with Activator. Never underestimate the developmental power of Ryan Petrich and Grant Paul. They collaborate more than you know .
    True.

Thanks

I wish this worked on the iPad...

Updating right.... Now

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I installed this yesterday (before this thread was started) and it didn't work with Activator.
    Gunna reinstall it today, in the hope that the two are now fully compatible.

slind360
    Hi folks! Great forum.

Just downloaded the updated Zephyr 1.1 and while in an app, I can only swipe up to close it. There is to way to half-swipe my finger to the top in order to show the app switcher. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by slind360; 01-28-2012 at 02:09 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,754 Times in 891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slind360 View Post
    Hi folks! Great forum.

Just downloaded the updated Zephyr 1.1 and while in an app, I can only swipe up to close it. There is to way to half-swipe my finger to the top in order to show the app switcher. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Slide up for like 1cm and then just stop. Don't take your finger off.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to KraXik For This Useful Post:

slind360
    Works like a charm, thanks a lot. May have pulled the finger off to soon.

Thanks

Just installed, love this tweak, it's one of the things I like about the ios5 iPad, TBH I think this works better on the iPhone than it does stock on the iPad! Great job n cheers for the heads up!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Activator + LastApp or QuickDo alone already done the job for long time already.
    Why so eager for this tweak??