+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Steam App Released Into App Store

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
A lot of us have been waiting for this moment. Steam, a popular game-purchasing, game-launching, and social-gaming platform is now available on the iOS platform. On Windows or on Mac
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Steam App Released Into App Store

A lot of us have been waiting for this moment.

Steam, a popular game-purchasing, game-launching, and social-gaming platform is now available on the iOS platform. On Windows or on Mac OS X, it allows us to purchase games with which we can launch from Steam itself and it includes things like chatting with the friends that we make in those games and/or people we already know that we have added as contacts. It also provides a way to connect with your friends to play in multi-player. Steam is probably best noted for some of its most popular games such as Call of Duty: Black Ops, Portal 2, and Team Fortress 2.

The iOS client for Steam is made by Valve, the company behind Steam itself. It allows you to make game purchases (which you can download on your Mac or PC), communicate with your friends which you have added via an instant messaging system, stay up to date on your gaming news, and even keep an eye on sales. Unfortunately, as much as we would love it to be so, it doesn't let you install any games on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

It's great for taking a mobile experience of Steam itself around everywhere you go, but you won't get the full Steam gaming experience without having it installed on a Mac or a PC because that's the only way that you will get to play the games that you purchase. If you are interested, you can download Steam for your iPhone or iPod touch from the Apple App Store from this link.

Steam Mobile, as it is named, will run on the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod touch 3G, iPod touch 4G, iPad and iPad 2. You will need to be running at least iOS 4 to install Steam on your iOS device. Downloading the application should be reasonably quick because it only weighs in at 1.7MB. Oh and one more thing, the app is currently in closed beta.

Sources: App Store
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 01-26-2012 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Correctional reasons

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You say "sign in and go" but it is a closed beta.

*T*
    Thanks

What can u actually play on it? Is it just for social networking?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redbarbie77 View Post
    You say "sign in and go" but it is a closed beta.
    I was thinking the same thing while reading through the topic..

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Seems to me like just a dumb gaming social networking app and the ability to buy steam game in an app, but you can already do that with Safari. Pointless app.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Steam has made note of my account apparently. Now just to wait I guess so I can use it

Just got back onto using it too, thanks to Dungeon Defenders

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by prostheus View Post
    Steam has made note of my account apparently. Now just to wait I guess so I can use it

Just got back onto using it too, thanks to Dungeon Defenders
    Dungeon Defenders!! I played that game on the iPhone along time ago...and thought how great a game it would be if I could actually control it, then I stumbled upon it on Xbox Live about a week ago! Great little game, awesome on Xbox.
    El Zurdo

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

Finally! steam chat via ios!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
    Dungeon Defenders!! I played that game on the iPhone along time ago...and thought how great a game it would be if I could actually control it, then I stumbled upon it on Xbox Live about a week ago! Great little game, awesome on Xbox.
    Oh no! You didn't buy it on Xbox did ya? PC has WAY more content!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by prostheus View Post
    Oh no! You didn't buy it on Xbox did ya? PC has WAY more content!!!
    And patches. They have never patched the console versions (well ps3 for sure) to fix any of the bugs.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    And patches. They have never patched the console versions (well ps3 for sure) to fix any of the bugs.
    The PS3 patch is still going through certification for EU/AU/NZ. I'm thoroughly enjoying it on PC now though!