+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] LockscreenSureCam - Stop Accidentally Tapping the Lock Screen Camera Button

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Sometimes we make mistakes. With iOS 5, shipped a great new feature that put a camera shortcut button on our lock screen when we double-press our home button. It appears
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default [Review] LockscreenSureCam - Stop Accidently Tapping the Lock Screen Camera Button

Sometimes we make mistakes.

With iOS 5, shipped a great new feature that put a camera shortcut button on our lock screen when we double-press our home button. It appears with our iPod controls. It was brought to us to make photography on iDevices more convenient, fast, and fun. It also went great with the super-speedy iPhone 4S camera which has an extremely fast shutter speed. It made it so that when that special moment came up, we would be able to take a photograph. But, are you ever annoyed by the fact that it's so easy to accidentally tap on it?

Maybe you were simply trying to adjust your iPod controls, but you end up tapping camera by mistake because you're so busy multitasking that your thumb accidentally thumps it. Well, not anymore. Thanks to a free Cydia tweak dubbed LockscreenSureCam by iOS developer Ron Melkhior that does as the name suggests, and makes sure that you want to open the Camera application from the lock screen. As you can see from the image above, it displays a message prompt that lets you either confirm or deny opening the Camera application when you tap the iOS 5 camera button.

To enjoy this tweak, you have to be a clumsy person that is fed up with making mistakes. However, if you're happy with your coordination, then I really cannot recommend it. I personally don't think I would deem it worthy of installing on my own iPhone just because of my personal bias of the fact that I think I'm coordinated enough to avoid tapping a button. That's not to say that others won't find it useful, though.

It's simply a safety precaution that Ron thought would make life easier on some people. There aren't any settings to configure for it, and there aren't any icons added to the home screen. After you install it, if you try to tap on the camera button from your lock screen you will continually get that message until you uninstall the tweak. If I was trying to capture a photograph opportunity, I think that this tweak might actually get in the way of capturing it in time. That's just an important barricade to consider before installing it if you are a common iOS-using photographer.

Name: LockscreenSureCam
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0-1
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Ron Melkhior
    Editor's Rating:  1/5

Are you going to use this tweak to keep yourself from accidentally opening the Camera application? Share in the comments.

Sources: Ron Melkhior
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 01-26-2012 at 11:31 AM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I agree with the review. This seems like a "solution" looking for a problem. The user has to first tap the power button, then double-click the home button, then accidentally click the camera button? How often does those three actions consecutively occur?

iPhone? More like MyPhone broncosi's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JoeStorm View Post
    The user has to first tap the power button, then double-click the home button, then accidentally click the camera button? How often does those three actions consecutively occur?
    When they want to take a picture really quick?

My iPhone is a Part of Me Cmds187's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol

iPhone? More like MyPhone expl0itfinder's Avatar
    Thanks

Why does the modmyi app force close whenever i want to change the settings
    (null)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by broncosi View Post
    It works good with the tweak to allow double click of the home button to pull up the multitask bar and the tweak to have the camera icon always on the lock screen.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

This is a horrible tweak. You already have to do to much to get to the Camera button on your lock screen, who on earth would want another step?

A better tweak would be to add the Camera button to your lock screen at all times, so u r not required to press the home button twice. This would make since. Is there already a tweak like this?

3.5 stars?! What?! If anything, this tweak deserves 0.5 stars....based on usefulness, and amount of people that would require this virtually useless tweak. If for some reason (god forbid) you do accidentally open the camera app.....is it that hard to simply press the home button to exit it?
    El Zurdo

iPhone? More like MyPhone Marilina's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
    This is a horrible tweak. You already have to do to much to get to the Camera button on your lock screen, who on earth would want another step?

A better tweak would be to add the Camera button to your lock screen at all times, so u r not required to press the home button twice. This would make since. Is there already a tweak like this?

3.5 stars?! What?! If anything, this tweak deserves 0.5 stars....based on usefulness, and amount of people that would require this virtually useless tweak. If for some reason (god forbid) you do accidentally open the camera app.....is it that hard to simply press the home button to exit it?
    I agree unfortunately about this tweak, you have to be REALLY careless ro double click AND take a pic by accident lmao!!

You are looking for CameraLocker.

Also springtomize disables or enables the camera at all times if one wishes.

Thanks

hahahaha this tweak doesn't work for me. If I want to take a quick picture I will hate to see this "diag" asking me are you sure???
    What is this Windows Vista??LMAO!!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

A better tweak would be to add the Camera button to your lock screen at all times, so u r not required to press the home button twice.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Mc-Lovin_341's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wap980 View Post
    A better tweak would be to add the Camera button to your lock screen at all times, so u r not required to press the home button twice.
    They already is one, it's a setting in springtomize 2

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well this is a must have app for every iphone user. Or otherwise you can imagine how annoying it could be sometimes.
    iphone apps

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by broncosi View Post
    If they want to take a picture really quick, why add an additional confirmation dialog after the procedure?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I installed the free AnyLockApp last night. This apps only fault is that it could have a more descriptive name. It puts the camera button on the lock screen permanently and lets you open not only ANY camera app (Camera+, Instagram, etc), but any app at all on your phone if you so choose. The only other option is to keep the stock camera button icon or display the icon of the particular app you have chosen. Really nifty imo.
    Last edited by galavanter; 01-27-2012 at 11:56 AM.