+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Help the Electronic Frontier Foundation Keep Jailbreaking Legal

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The Digital Millenium Copyright Act prevents people from circumventing digital rights management and other technological measures used to protect copyrighted material. However, DMCA, just like the much talked about SOPA,
...
  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,342
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 79 Times in 46 Posts

    Default Help the Electronic Frontier Foundation Keep Jailbreaking Legal



    The Digital Millenium Copyright Act prevents people from circumventing digital rights management and other technological measures used to protect copyrighted material. However, DMCA, just like the much talked about SOPA, has its fair share of loopholes and possible abuses companies and governments can levee against consumers.

    Every three years the U.S. Copyright Office holds a “rulemaking” meeting to consider granting exemptions to the DMCA in an effort help prevent harm from being caused to “legitimate non-infringing uses of copyrighted materials.” During the 2009 meeting the EFF won an exemption for jailbreakers and remix artists. During the 2012 meeting the EFF is asking the Copyright Office to continue to protect jailbreaking smartphones, and video game consoles as well as expand the exemption to tablets. If they don’t renew the exemption and expand it, the very basis of the MMi community becomes an illegal activity.

    According to the EFF this is how you can help:

    The Copyright Office needs to hear from people who depend on the ability to jailbreak to write, use, and/or tinker with independent software (from useful apps to essential security fixes) for smartphones, tablets, and game consoles. You can submit comments online at this link.

    Here are some questions you might want to address in your comments:
    • Which jailbreaking exemption are you supporting—smartphones/tablets, video game consoles, or both?
    • What's your background (i.e., are you a developer, hobbyist, academic, independent researcher, user, etc.)?
    • What device do you want to ensure you have the legal authority to jailbreak?
    • Please explain why you want to jailbreak this device. What limitations do you face if you aren't able to jailbreak it? Is there software you couldn't run, computing capabilities you wouldn't have, cool things you couldn’t do, etc.?
    • If you’re a developer, did an online application store or console manufacturer reject your app or game? If so, what reasons did they give?
    • Is there anything else you want to tell the Copyright Office?


    Concrete examples will help show the Copyright Office why they should renew and expand the exemptions for jailbreaking. Send your comments to the Copyright Office athttp://www.copyright.gov/1201/comment-forms/. Where the form says “Comment number(s) of proposed classes of works to which you are responding,” enter a “3” if you’re writing about game consoles or a “5” if you’re writing about smartphones or tablets.

    Comments are due by February 10 at 5 PM Eastern Time. Please send a copy of your comments to [email protected] so that we can see what people are saying. We’ll keep your comments confidential.

    We can't stress enough how important you the members of the MMi are in the process of preserving Jailbreaking. Help the EFF, and help jailbreakers everywhere. Without the necessary exemptions every aspect of the Jailbreak community can be prosecuted and shut down. Don’t let Apple and other manufacturers decide the fate of the jailbreak community.

    Source: EFF
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 01-24-2012 at 08:29 PM.

  2. #2
    *T*
    *T* is offline
    Grumpy *T*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Turn around slowly...
    Posts
    667
    Thanks
    119
    Thanked 47 Times in 38 Posts

    MMi isn't good anyway. I've been goin to Engadget recently

  3. #3
    "The Truth" metaserph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Houston, Texas U.S.A.
    Posts
    4,670
    Thanks
    12,269
    Thanked 9,105 Times in 2,700 Posts

    " and on another note totally unrelated to I'm an idiot...." 0_o
    @Metaserph
    "You can only attain Peace through spreading Love to create Unity and earn the Respect of others" - Complex Simplicity

  4. #4
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,086
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 35 Times in 29 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
    MMi isn't good anyway. I've been goin to Engadget recently
    im glad you found it essential to comment saying that. Either way what does that have to do with this post?

  5. #5
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Will do Phillip !!

  6. #6
    My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    632
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 62 Times in 48 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
    MMi isn't good anyway. I've been goin to Engadget recently
    Why even come here to comment then? This is a very important topic that affects users everywhere, not just Mmi users, that would include you if you use a jailbroken device.

    I suggest everyone take part in this campaign to help us keep legitimate jailbreaks.
    Last edited by luvmytj; 01-24-2012 at 08:51 PM.

  7. #7
    Green Apple swpelchat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    gulfport ms
    Posts
    74
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 15 Times in 9 Posts

    Default Huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
    MMi isn't good anyway. I've been goin to Engadget recently
    What does that have to do with the price of tea in china? In other words your opinion is irrelevant to the topic.
    16gb iPhone4 black

    If I helped you in anyway please hit thank you.







  8. #8
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,342
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 79 Times in 46 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
    MMi isn't good anyway. I've been goin to Engadget recently

  9. #9
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    5,997
    Thanks
    168
    Thanked 864 Times in 630 Posts

    Eh, it's just a typical *T* comment.

    Honestly, there's no reason to make jailbreaking illegal. It doesn't break any current laws.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 01-24-2012 at 09:01 PM.

  10. #10
    Livin the iPhone Life celeron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    5,831
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 340 Times in 323 Posts

    The guy is trolling
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

    New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

  11. #11
    iPhoneaholic quidam_brujah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    459
    Thanks
    83
    Thanked 33 Times in 27 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
    MMi isn't good anyway. I've been goin to Engadget recently
    Trollsign!

  12. #12
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Truckerbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    222
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 16 Times in 11 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
    MMi isn't good anyway. I've been goin to Engadget recently
    Right that is why your replying here.. LOL
    8 gig iPhone Edge 2G (first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using bootneuter and blackra1n.
    8 gig iPhone 3G (first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using Whited00r CFW
    16 gig iPhone 3GS (new bootrom): UNLKD/JB using ultrasn0w/limera1n.
    16 gig Wifi iPad first day iPad JB using greenpois0n.
    32 gig Wifi/3G iPad first day iPad UNLKD/JB using greenpois0n.
    32 gig iPhone 4(first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using ultrasn0w/greenpois0n
    Apps: 157 installed 25 developed.

  13. #13
    iPhoneaholic quidam_brujah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    459
    Thanks
    83
    Thanked 33 Times in 27 Posts

    As soon as I wrap up my latest 99% rant to my congresscritter.

  14. #14
    MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    SC California
    Posts
    620
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 45 Times in 37 Posts

    "Legal" "Illegal" Jail Breaking will NEVER go away !!!!!!!!!

  15. #15
    My iPhone is a Part of Me keenpois0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    573
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 61 Times in 48 Posts

    apple will lose a chunk of customers is jbing stops...I know id go. probably the galaxy s2

  16. #16
    My iPhone is a Part of Me exNavy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    996
    Thanks
    56
    Thanked 159 Times in 118 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
    MMi isn't good anyway. I've been goin to Engadget recently
    This post is just as useful as the ones made by all the 9 year old little boys on this site who have to say "first" on all news posts because their mommy won't let them leave the house yet on their own to explore the world.
    I write Mac only tutorials for the iPhone. Check out my iOS 6 and iOS 7 tutorials: modmyphone d o t us

  17. #17
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    85
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by keenpois0n View Post
    apple will lose a chunk of customers is jbing stops...I know id go. probably the galaxy s2
    doubtful. i really doubt the people who wouldn't buy an iphone b/c there's no jb would really affect apple's wallets...

  18. #18
    My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    679
    Thanks
    49
    Thanked 60 Times in 50 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
    MMi isn't good anyway. I've been goin to Engadget recently
    Stfu fool!

  19. #19
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Default Jailbreaking and DMCA Exemption
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Honestly, there's no reason to make jailbreaking illegal. It doesn't break any current laws.
    Sorry Anthony, you are wrong. During the last DMCA exemption process, Jailbreaking was exempted. Apple filed vociferously against an exemption. Since it -was- exempted, that would necessarily mean that the Librarian of Congress felt that otherwise it would have been a violation of the DMCA's Access Control Mechanism provision, which makes it illegal to bypass an encryption mechanism (which is what jailbreaking does). So, it was illegal, it is currently exempted (so now, legal), but could be reversed. For instance, the previous exemption only applies to phones...not to iPads or iPod Touches. It is a gray legal area, hence the renewed push to extend.

    Personally, I think Exemption Class 10 is another interesting class worthy of our support. It is asking for an exemption for personal "fair use" to bypass DVD and Blu-ray encryption schemes by end users. Right now it is ILLEGAL to rip a DVD, even if you bought it. Not because you don't have fair use rights to the content, legal precedent says you do, but because there is an encryption scheme sitting in your way (CSS, an Access Control Mechanism) that the DMCA forbids you from circumventing (except in cases where exemptions are stipulated--the ones we're talking about). It is also illegal to create and distribute software (like Handbrake) that allows others to circumvent ACMs. I think that supporting Class 10 would send a pretty strong message to the MPAA (RIAA) that content purchasers are NOT "pirates" and should NOT be targeted in DMCA actions. Class 10 might could allow Apple to enable an iTunes Match-type service for DVDs and Blu-rays; at the very least it would allow for iTunes to rip DVDs as it does CDs. It would also make the job of the content owners a bit more difficult, as it could be argued that sites like The Pirate Bay then have a legal foundation for existence: to facilitate the free trading of transcoded, format-shifted content legally between digital-content-owning end-users.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to ScooterComputer For This Useful Post:

    Cer0 (01-24-2012)

  21. #20
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Daerid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    289
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 23 Times in 18 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by ScooterComputer View Post
    Sorry Anthony, you are wrong. During the last DMCA exemption process, Jailbreaking was exempted. Apple filed vociferously against an exemption. Since it -was- exempted, that would necessarily mean that the Librarian of Congress felt that otherwise it would have been a violation of the DMCA's Access Control Mechanism provision, which makes it illegal to bypass an encryption mechanism (which is what jailbreaking does). So, it was illegal, it is currently exempted (so now, legal), but could be reversed. For instance, the previous exemption only applies to phones...not to iPads or iPod Touches. It is a gray legal area, hence the renewed push to extend.

    Personally, I think Exemption Class 10 is another interesting class worthy of our support. It is asking for an exemption for personal "fair use" to bypass DVD and Blu-ray encryption schemes by end users. Right now it is ILLEGAL to rip a DVD, even if you bought it. Not because you don't have fair use rights to the content, legal precedent says you do, but because there is an encryption scheme sitting in your way (CSS, an Access Control Mechanism) that the DMCA forbids you from circumventing (except in cases where exemptions are stipulated--the ones we're talking about). It is also illegal to create and distribute software (like Handbrake) that allows others to circumvent ACMs. I think that supporting Class 10 would send a pretty strong message to the MPAA (RIAA) that content purchasers are NOT "pirates" and should NOT be targeted in DMCA actions. Class 10 might could allow Apple to enable an iTunes Match-type service for DVDs and Blu-rays; at the very least it would allow for iTunes to rip DVDs as it does CDs. It would also make the job of the content owners a bit more difficult, as it could be argued that sites like The Pirate Bay then have a legal foundation for existence: to facilitate the free trading of transcoded, format-shifted content legally between digital-content-owning end-users.
    Supremely well written ...

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts