+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Ovum Report: App Developers Putting Android Ahead of iOS?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Here's a headline that will probably make more than a few folks scratch their heads. Despite the runaway growth of popular Apple devices powered by iOS (and previous polls and
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

Default Ovum Report: App Developers Putting Android Ahead of iOS?

Here's a headline that will probably make more than a few folks scratch their heads.

Despite the runaway growth of popular Apple devices powered by iOS (and previous polls and studies showing an overwhelmingly strong developer preference for iOS), a sizable portion of the mobile application developer community is now picking Android over iOS as the preferential platform to develop for.

Independent technology analyst Ovum's second annual developer survey shows that Android appears poised to bump iOS before the end of 2012 when it comes to the platform viewed by developers as being the most important to concentrate on.

Of course, I'll believe that when I see it. But, for now, that's what Ovum's numbers tell us.

Published Monday, the study does, however, show that almost all developers will continue to support both platforms. But Android's ascendance means that iOS will no longer see preferred status with many devs.

So why the big change? According to an underlying theory advocated by no shortage of industry analysts, iOS is no longer viewed as the only means to make serious cash. As more individuals and companies turn to Android devices and apps at a record pace, many developers now view Android as the operating system with real lucrative momentum.

The report concluded by acknowledging that developers are also beginning to give up mobile-centric development tools (Java, Flash, WAP, etc.s) in favor of HTML5, a Web-based standard that gives developers better reach across diverse devices and platforms.

Source: Ovum

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I think if Apple were to provide free development tools and didn't require apps to be made on Macs, more devs would make iOS apps.

iPhone? More like MyPhone BhadKarma's Avatar
    Thanks

Run a
    Virtual machine on windows. (mac Os) Xcode plus tutorials.

Get developing

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Considering that Android is more popular than IOS, it doesn't surprise me

Also IOS already has apps for most requirements, so there are more importunities to get market share on Android

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rickuk View Post
    Considering that Android is more popular than IOS, it doesn't surprise me

Also IOS already has apps for most requirements, so there are more importunities to get market share on Android
    iOS is a high end device and its still by far sooo much more popular than Android high end devices

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Green Apple
    Thanks
    This is because of Apple's strict app store requirements and limited functionality. Nothing more nothing less....

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    iOS is a high end device and its still by far sooo much more popular than Android high end devices
    iOS is NOT a device fanboi, but an operating system...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

High end? It's not a Bugatti...it's a phone that is more affordable than comparable devices. It's offered as free more often compared to the same monthly bill for an Android device. I don't know how the idea that the iPhone is for the wealthy elite came into your head, cos that's how you're acting lately.

Thanks

You're at it again lol.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Painkiller006's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brab View Post
    iOS is NOT a device fanboi, but an operating system...
    Don't bother with MetallicaFan1991, he's one the most ignorant apple fanboy in this site. He knows nothing outside his tiny iphone. Judas Priest > Metallica

@punjabi212: Always a laugh when he makes a post xD

iPhone? More like MyPhone MaStA819's Avatar
    Thanks

After porting Android ICS to my HP Touchpad I am quite pleased with that OS. Being able to install what I want directly out of the marketplace is also quite nice. Unless Apple produces something incredible this year (like an iPhone 5 we have all been waiting on) that demolishes the Android lineup I will be making the switch. Supporting a company that sues everyone and everything short of God is becoming more and more disgusting by the day.

The company making the Steve Jobs figurine should of just put a mole on it's cheek and called it Bill Jobs.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    The last step for Android is to combat the piracy issue. They also need to take a slightly more proactive approach to limiting malware in the market. Google is innovating at a much quicker pace than iOS in the last year or so. This should come to no surprise to anyone - especially given the sales #'s.

Quote Originally Posted by MaStA819 View Post
    After porting Android ICS to my HP Touchpad I am quite pleased with that OS. Being able to install what I want directly out of the marketplace is also quite nice. Unless Apple produces something incredible this year (like an iPhone 5 we have all been waiting on) that demolishes the Android lineup I will be making the switch. Supporting a company that sues everyone and everything short of God is becoming more and more disgusting by the day.

The company making the Steve Jobs figurine should of just put a mole on it's cheek and called it Bill Jobs.
    Or have the head of the doll and the caboose switched around.

Ice Cream Sandwich is much more fluid, isn't it?

iPhone? More like MyPhone MaStA819's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Breezer23 View Post
    The last step for Android is to combat the piracy issue. They also need to take a slightly more proactive approach to limiting malware in the market. Google is innovating at a much quicker pace than iOS in the last year or so. This should come to no surprise to anyone - especially given the sales #'s.

Or have the head of the doll and the caboose switched around.

Ice Cream Sandwich is much more fluid, isn't it?
    hahaha

Yeah ICS is quite nice.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Breezer23 View Post
    The last step for Android is to combat the piracy issue.
    WHAT piracy issue? Most of the apps on the Market are free but the exact same app in the app store is a paid app.
    Android is the right way to do things. There is going to be homebrew devs on any platform so to jailbreak an Android you tick the box. It's the perfect OS.

Quote Originally Posted by The6uest View Post
    I think if Apple were to provide free development tools and didn't require apps to be made on Macs, more devs would make iOS apps.
    EXACTLY. I would make apps for IOS if the dev tools were free and on Windows but as they are not I'm making apps for Android instead.

Quote Originally Posted by realism View Post
    This is because of Apple's strict app store requirements and limited functionality. Nothing more nothing less....
    It's also the strict IOS. You can do a lot more in Android. It's a better platform and has a lot more devices and its just better than IOS in just about every way.

I can see Apple loosing the mobile phone race by the end of the year as they are too restrictive in just about everything. If they really want to make the device everyone wants then remove all restrictions so it doesn't need to be jailbreaked and remove the restrictions from the App Store. Until they do those 2 things the iphone is doomed to fail and it will be only for the fanboys.
    I said it last year that the android will be as good as the iPhone before the year ends and it did. This year it will be even better and overtake the iPhone but Apple will show you FAKE graphs so say its not which will be a cover for their poor sales of their poor restricted device.
    The iPhone 5 wont fix anything. It'll be more restrictive than all previous devices so it will sell even less. Even before its released its already set up for fail and why? its from Apple and they dont know how to think that smart.

Oh, if IOS was so good then why does just about every other phone manufacture run Android over IOS? Apple are too restrictive in every way and doom themselves for failure.
    Last edited by NakedFaerie; 01-23-2012 at 07:08 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

The android SDK is terrible compared to xCode. I can honestly say i dread every minute I spend inside of eclipse.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post

The iPhone 5 wont fix anything. It'll be more restrictive than all previous devices so it will sell even less. Even before its released its already set up for fail and why? its from Apple and they dont know how to think that smart.

Oh, if IOS was so good then why does just about every other phone manufacture run Android over IOS? Apple are too restrictive in every way and doom themselves for failure.
    Are you serious? The iPhone 4S has been a huge hit for Apple! Here's some sites validating this (and the 3GS/iP4's continued success): Top Selling Phones of 2011: iPhone 4S Leads The Way - Mobile Magazine
    How the iPhone 4S Became Apple's Best-Selling iPhone Ever | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
    Online Press Releases by Industry | Recent
    Apple sells more than 4 million iPhone 4S units in first weekend - The Washington Post

The iPhone is 3 different types (with different size options) versus HUNDREDS of Android phones - and it still keeps up with Android.

And....Apple doesn't license iOS to other vendors - thats why every other manufacturer runs Android....they have no other choice.

Please - if you're going to fail so spectacularly - at least try to weave SOME fact in between your opinions.

Thanks

While I like my Toshiba Thrive/Android (and yes it is rooted) The market place/apps and support/foundation for android is no were near the quality of apple and yes Apple is very strict sometimes too much, but that is what makes Quality
    Last edited by towboattrash34; 01-24-2012 at 12:30 AM.
    IPhone 5s....
    First MacBook Pro 13" I7 2.8Ghz with win7
    1 rooted Thrive
    08 Chevy 2500HD LTZ
    06 Dyna Lowrider
    40ft Raptor toyhauler

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scottsimon1979 View Post
    The iPhone is 3 different types (with different size options) versus HUNDREDS of Android phones - and it still keeps up with Android.
    Sorry, Im a little confused by what you mean..."with different size options"?

P.S. Metallica sucks, Lars is a little B!tch!
    Last edited by jasvncnt10; 01-24-2012 at 08:26 AM.

Banned
    Thanks

Wait for it.... Wait for it.... Wait for it!
    The N E W iPhone 5 - Coming MARCH 201292
    rate this page

By Clandestine

The iPhone 5 - Coming MARCH 2012
    The all new iPhone 5 is already buzzing with speculation. Will the iPhone 5 be a complete redesign? Yes! The current Apple iPhone release wasn't much to rave about, although people do really like Siri, the personal assistant. However, the iPhone 5 is going to have some amazing new hardware and features like 3D video and pictures, newly designed keyboards and 4G speeds to name a few! The iPhone 5 will be released in March of 2012!

The new iPhone 5 is going to be loaded with awesome new features like video chat on 3g and 4g (no longer restricted to WiFi only), face recognition and extreme downloading with 4G. Also there is a new chat service between Apple devices! Similar to the blackberry messenger service. It has also been integrated into the SMS/MMS application used originally on the iPhone models. (List of possible features below). The new iPhone 5 features are speculated, these features are well received by the public and will typically follow suit based on previous releases and their features.

This iPhone 5 will be equipped with a two A5 chip processors and higher more powerful graphic chips that can deliver higher video resolutions (5-9 times better and 7 times faster) and amazing "still" images when taking pictures, AND it will make multi-tasking a lot faster, in addition to adding support for 4G speeds. It will also have a 4 inch screen making it larger and on par with most android phones. The processor will have speeds at 1.5 - 2.0 GHz and 1GB of RAM. Obviously the new iPhone 5 will have iMessage, iOS5, iCloud and all the standard features of the iPhone 4S, including Siri the personal assistant. These improvements alone will be healthy competition for the newly released Samsung Galaxy S II.

Apple recently filed several patent applications in order to bring 3D picture capturing to the iPhone 5. This phone will be capable of rendering, capturing and processing 3D images, which coincides with the recent changes to the dual-camera hardware. The new iPhone 5 will also be capable of taking pictures in Panorama!

The new iPhone 5 will boast 4G also known as LTE (Long Term Evolution) speeds, according to AT&T which is due to the 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) which is in line with the most recent technology standards for mobile networks.

Apple unveiled the iPhone 4S, a faster version of its best-selling smartphone that includes a virtual "personal assistant" you can talk to. And now, Apple will release the iPhone 5, which looks promising in terms of being sleek, packed with new hardware and finally less restrictions. Very exciting! We will update our information as soon as we learn more about the newest features of the iPhone 5, as more information comes in daily. Again, the iPhone 5 is going to be a complete redesign so there is still a lot to learn about this device. Check it out ....

A few features of the new iPhone 5:

4 inch screen (Glass with Aluminum back)

Thinner sleeker design

Physical Keyboard (Possible)

Built in GPS standard

Face Recognition Security

Face Time on 3G and 4G

Custom SMS tones

Custom E-mail alerts with ability to assign different tones to each email address

Shatter resistant

8 MEGAPIXEL Camera front and rear

64G Basic and 120G memory

Extended battery life = 20 hours talk time on 3G and 10 hours on 4G. Standby 1000 hours.

Full 1080p HD Recording AND 3D Video Display !!!

Messaging indicator light.

HTML5 (safari) Flash Player capable

SIM-Less Phone - Basically, the iPhone 5 will be a World Phone, or World iPhone. This is accomplished building 2 to 3 internal antennas which makes it capable of GSM and CDMA technology, so you can take the phone to any network!

iPhone 5 Launch Date

Based on previous releases and the recent release of the iPhone 4s, it is expected that hte new iPhone 5 will be released somewhere between June and July of 2012. Apple has typically released these phones very orderly, but with this complete redesign of the new iPhone 5, along with the recent off schedule release of the iPhone 4s, July of 2012 looks like a viable target. Steve jobs was working VERY hard on this new iPhone 5 to be released in 2010 with a full and complete redesign that will deliver outstanding results and performance.

iPhone 5 price

Currently, we have estimated pricing but we can not publish them since it will all depend on what carrier you choose to purchase your iPhone 5 with. The iPhone 5 price will be subsidized by all carriers and how much of the cost they will lower the iPhone 5 by will depend on the length of the contract you sign. Currently, the iPhone 5 will be available on AT&T, Verizon Wireless and Sprint, with more carriers coming in the future. If this iPhone 5 is truly a world phone, you will be able to take it to any carrier that wants to support it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ya i am eagerly waiting for iPhone 5.
    Looking what you've mentioned above it seems iPhone 5 will be much better than iPhone 4s.