Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SiriPrefs Project Officially Released, Launch Apps With Siri, Bing, and Google Voice

Default SiriPrefs Project Officially Released, Launch Apps With Siri, Bing, and Google Voice

Near the end of December we covered an interesting non-jailbreak tweak called SiriPrefs that would allow Siri to open applications, access menus, and other device specific categories. Well the Siriprefs project is officially live.

Israeli developer DanyL (Dany Lisiansky) developed the tweak which is actually a set of network tools that work together allowing Siri as well as Bing and Google Voice to open applications. Because the project involves a DNS Server, Transparent Proxy Server and Web Server set up on the user's home network a VPN must be set up in order to use Siriprefs away from the user's local network.

DanyL has posted a nice step-by-step guide on how to set up the network tools. The only caveat is users need to be running Debian (a free Linux/GNU OS) or a Debian based distribution of Linux to setup the network tools. Once running Debian the rest of the setup is a series of scripts entered via terminal. The step-by-step guide is available here, as well as a video that walks users through the steps.

Obviously, this tweak is more difficult to implement than jailbreaking and installing packages via Cydia, but it also doesn’t require a jailbreak and can work on none Siri enabled devices through Bing and Google Voice.

As much as I love Jailbreak applications and tweaks, workarounds like this—while not as neat as the numerous packages littering the many repos– are just as amazing. Even more amazing is the fact the DanyL’s Siriprefs project is here to stay as Apple claims there’s no way for them to block project now or in the future.

Demonstration of capabilities

Installation Guide

Source: DanyL
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 01-20-2012 at 05:09 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Phillip Swanson For This Useful Post:

danyl (01-20-2012)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Good work, but seems like more of a hassle than anything.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

make it easy nice work though !!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

I does this allow siri on iPhone 4? Or is this only for a5 devices

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PoEtikly View Post
    I does this allow siri on iPhone 4?
    No. Its like a plugin for devices with Siri
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by godfred212 View Post
    make it easy nice work though !!!
    What's with the desire not to learn anything new? You should feed your brain instead of waiting for someone else to put in the time and you just sit back and reap benefits without learning... #justsaying

Quote Originally Posted by PoEtikly View Post
    I does this allow siri on iPhone 4? Or is this only for a5 devices
    This is for any device running siri even the iphone 4
    Last edited by realism; 01-20-2012 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by realism View Post
    What's with the desire not to learn anything new? You should feed your brain instead of waiting for someone else to put in the time and you just sit back and reap benefits without learning... #justsaying

This is for any device running siri even the iphone 4
    I agree. Makes it well worth the time when you have to go in up to your elbows and feel like you actually accomplished something.