Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Uses 349M Microphones; Becomes Number One Buyer in 2011

Thanks

Default Apple Uses 349M Microphones; Becomes Number One Buyer in 2011

Apple recently purchased a 349 million micro electro mechanical systems (MEMS) microphones last year to put in its various iOS devices, making the Cupertino California company the biggest purchaser of such microphones in the world. This number grew a whopping 173% from 2010 to 2011, putting Apple up over Samsung for the most microphones bought (and presumably installed and used).

The microphones are the same ones found in each of the following iOS devices: the iPhone 4, the iPhone 4S, and the iPad 2. One of the mics is found in the headphone cable included with each device, while the other two are on the device itself (one of them being used strictly for noise cancellation). This is the exact reason as to why Siri works so well at “hearing” even in relatively crowded environments, because there’s an extra microphone on board to listen for noise to remove from the incoming signal. An interesting thing to note here is that the iPad doesn’t have this third mic, which might be one of the reasons why Siri isn’t present on the earlier generation devices.

Supposedly, the next-generation iPad will have all of these components too so Apple will probably continue to buy more of these parts. In fact, it’s likely that we’ll be seeing them in both the new iPhone and the new iPad due out this year. Apple may be responsible for yet another spike in the sale of these mini microphones and move themselves up even higher up on the chart of consumption for this specific part.

Source: The Next Web
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 01-20-2012 at 10:14 AM.

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

The last two paragraphs have identical info hehe we can haz proofreading nao?

Quote Originally Posted by Kakalman View Post
    The last two paragraphs have identical info hehe we can haz proofreading nao?
    Would it hurt your fingers to PM him instead of publicly pointing it out? I'm getting very sick of ignorant people like you who have nothing else to do other than to start picking on the writer. Are you the one doing the work? NO. Do you have the right to publicly humiliate the writers? NO. If it bothers you THAT much, PRIVATE MESSAGE the writer. And find something better to waste your time on, rather than picking on these guys. This crap is getting really old. GROW UP. They made a small mistake. Let it go. Notify them via PM. That's what PM's are for. I'm getting very tired of the ignorance that has been going around, which is why I stopped posting on MMi a lot. BE MATURE and act like an adult.

If you don't have anything good or reasonable to say, don't say it. Simple as that.

Woah. Kindly relax. I wasn't meaning harm nor was I poking fun. I actually found this article informative and interesting. And to be honest I didn't know there was a PM option. Is it possible the option doesn't exist on the iPhone?
    Would it have hurt your fingers to PM me and tell me this instead of turning my harmless comment into an excuse for a public rant?
    To the author: sorry if I embarrassed you or seemed to be poking fun at a simple mistake. Both versions of the paragraph were just fine.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

Thank you so very much Kakalman for your apology to the writer I am proud of you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kakalman View Post
    Woah. Kindly relax. I wasn't meaning harm nor was I poking fun. I actually found this article informative and interesting. And to be honest I didn't know there was a PM option. Is it possible the option doesn't exist on the iPhone?
    Would it have hurt your fingers to PM me and tell me this instead of turning my harmless comment into an excuse for a public rant?
    To the author: sorry if I embarrassed you or seemed to be poking fun at a simple mistake. Both versions of the paragraph were just fine.
    Firstly, my apologize about my random outburst. Doesn't happen often, was just upset about a few things at the time.

Regardless, yes, I could have sent you a PM about it, but I was wanting to send out a MSG to not only you, but to other Troll's as well. I'm not saying you are a troll, but you get my point. These guys work hard to write these articles, so instead of appreciating, people start picking on them. Even one small mistake doesn't go un-noticed. This doesn't inspire nor motivate the writer.

But anyways, apologize about my random rant. Although it was a bit needed.