Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] Get Cover Flow Appearance In Your Dock With Overflow

Default [Review] Get Cover Flow Appearance In Your Dock With Overflow

The Cover Flow appearance on the dock adds perspective to the icons.

If you think that it looks boring to see regular-looking icons on your dock that look exactly the same as everywhere else, then maybe it's time to switch to something more.. different. A new tweak dubbed Overflow by iOS developer Adam Bell has been released that allows you to have a Cover Flow appearance in your dock. It makes the icons tilt sideways based on their position on the dock. You can see exactly what the appearance looks like in the image above; the way that it kind of distorts the icons based on the perspective that you would expect from Cover Flow in your Music application.

Overflow is compatible with chpwn's Infinidock tweak so that when you scroll through the dock you will actually get the Cover Flow-like animations. The scrolling effect is based completely on how you have Infinidock's settings - paged or inertial scrolling. The first time that you install the tweak, you will get a notification asking you if you would like to go to Cydia and install Infinidock to compliment Overflow. You will never see this popup again - you can buy Infinidock or you can dismiss the message. Overflow also comes with a setting:

The setting lets you enable or disable the tweak on demand so that you don't have to uninstall or reinstall it to get rid of or get the features back. But there are no other settings whatsoever.

Overflow works with any iOS version 4.2 or higher (including iOS 5). No icons are added to your home screen. The developer recommends that you use between five and seven icons in your dock for the best appearance results, because as you can see, with four spaced-out icons, it does look a little funky. Without Infinidock, the icons will not move, they will just sit there in a static position.

My overall feeling about the tweak is that it doesn't have any feeling to it unless you have Infinidock installed. If you let the icons sit in that funky position without having any kind of interaction abilities, it doesn't feel right. If you are looking for a way to spice up your SpringBoard's appearance, then by all means - try Overflow. If you have Springtomize 2, then you already have this functionality built in. Springtomize 2 is also compatible with Infinidock, so the choice is yours to make. Overflow does not require a respring to take action, while Springtomize 2 does.

Name: Overflow
    Price: 99
    Version:1.0.0-1
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Adam Bell
    Editor's Rating:  4/5

Are you going to download and try Overflow? Share in the comments.

Sources: Adam Bell

I miss the good old days when nice, simple tweaks like this were all free

Does not work on my iDevice running 5.0.1

springtomize 2 does the same thing, under dock settings.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,972 Times in 1,579 Posts

I just installed this as soon I read this post.
    Loving it...!!!
    Works like a charm,I have Infinidock with 5 icons,I use the dock only for SpringJumps,and love the feature that you don't need to respring to take effect...
    Great post by the way...!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Liveitlive's Avatar
    Thanks

I bought it... Cool visual effect and no issues. As for lil tweaks tweaks being free... I don't mind paying for stuff. I mean it's not free what they do n not like @ 99 it's breaking the bank... I try n support and purchase when I hate the chance. Good things in life are never free anyways lol. Or something like that.

Isn't there already a tweak called overflow? It shows you all your pages if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Patpark View Post
    springtomize 2 does the same thing, under dock settings.
    Uh yeah.. I mentioned that in the article so what was the point of repeating it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ngmead View Post
    Isn't there already a tweak called overflow? It shows you all your pages if I remember correctly.
    The application you are thinking of is called OverBoard by Ryan Petrich.

Quote Originally Posted by micaiah12 View Post
    Does not work on my iDevice running 5.0.1
    Disable it and re-enable it. It will work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Uh yeah.. I mentioned The application you are thinking of is called OverBoard by Ryan Petrich.
    Oh yeah lol thanks for setting me straight
    Last edited by Ngmead; 01-18-2012 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngmead View Post
    The application you are thinking of is called OverBoard by Ryan Petrich.

Oh yeah lol thanks for setting me straight
    I really like OverBoard too. It's well-made and visually attractive.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,754 Times in 891 Posts

Although Springtomize does a similar thing it's hardly the same.

This tweak is very good. So what if it needs infiniboard! My only suggestion is the icons always bounce back to the middle. So it would be easier if they just stayed on the last one you scrolled.

5/5 for me!

Cool tweak, but not paying $0.99.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthless Killa8 View Post
    I miss the good old days when nice, simple tweaks like this were all free
    Its a shame people like you don't think that creativity comes with a price. You could of just as easily created this tweak and sold it in Cydia. Get a grip.. nothing in life is free.
    8 gig iPhone Edge 2G (first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using bootneuter and blackra1n.
    8 gig iPhone 3G (first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using Whited00r CFW
    16 gig iPhone 3GS (new bootrom): UNLKD/JB using ultrasn0w/limera1n.
    16 gig Wifi iPad first day iPad JB using greenpois0n.
    32 gig Wifi/3G iPad first day iPad UNLKD/JB using greenpois0n.
    32 gig iPhone 4(first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using ultrasn0w/greenpois0n
    Apps: 157 installed 25 developed.

Sadly it ain't working with ScrollingBoard tho. And it seems it has troulbe working with some themes as well.

Shouldn't this feature be part of Infinidock?

Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post
    Although Springtomize does a similar thing it's hardly the same.

This tweak is very good. So what if it needs infiniboard! My only suggestion is the icons always bounce back to the middle. So it would be easier if they just stayed on the last one you scrolled.

5/5 for me!
    +1 I agree would be nice if it stayed on the last one you scrolled to,and this is just my preference but would like the icon labels left on not just on the middle one.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Ozzie5374's Avatar
    Thanks

Really nice on iphone 4 with infinidock and 5.0.1. I'd suggest just a little more animation would be better. 99c! Hell. What can you get for 99c these days? Well done.

Since this costs a dollar, I think it's better to get Springtomize 2. It has this and so many more options.

Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post

My only suggestion is the icons always bounce back to the middle. So it would be easier if they just stayed on the last one you scrolled.
    I agree with this. Its what i was expecting it to do, was a little disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesey123 View Post
    +1 I agree would be nice if it stayed on the last one you scrolled to,and this is just my preference but would like the icon labels left on not just on the middle one.
    Yes +1 to that too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast