+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] Replace the White Flash Screenshot Animation With A Camera Iris With Iris Shot

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Replace your screenshot animation with a better one. One part of iOS that seems boring is the screenshot animation. I think that most of us can agree that seeing a
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 785 Posts

Default [Review] Replace the White Flash Screenshot Animation With A Camera Iris With Iris Shot

Replace your screenshot animation with a better one.

One part of iOS that seems boring is the screenshot animation. I think that most of us can agree that seeing a white flash that goes off in our face is neither appealing or impressive. If you want to try something new, then check out a new jailbreak tweak dubbed Iris Shot by iOS developer Nikos Lykousas that will replace your screenshot flash animation with the Camera iris animation that you see every time that you take a photograph from the Camera application. Above is a video demonstration of the Iris Shot animation when you take a screenshot (by pressing both home and power at the same time).

Iris Shot doesn't leave you bare-bones dry. It comes with settings that let you customize it just a bit. The settings are very limited, however it's enough to make a jailbreak tinkerer want to play around with it. The settings for Iris Shot include being able to enable or disable the tweak on demand without having to uninstall and reinstall the tweak when you want to use it, and also the feature to control how fast or how slow the camera iris shuts on your screen. You can adjust the animation speed with a slider so that it best meets your personality. You might just cause your friend to go, "Huh? What was that?" You can see the settings in the image below:

While this tweak is not a major jailbreak legend, it's one of those small tweaks that makes something feel a bit more homey. It is a nice little animation mod. I think that it looks nicer than having the white flash because it gives you the realistic feeling of taking a photograph of your screen like you were viewing it through a DSLR camera. Not to mention that the white flash animation can be hard on the eyes if you're taking a screenshot in pitch darkness after you begin to read a text message while you're in bed. This tweak should be a lot easier on your eyes.

Iris Shot is free in Cydia and no icons are added to the home screen. The only complaint about it that I have is the fact that the Settings cell in the Settings application doesn't have a nice little icon to go with it. It's text only. It is free in Cydia as of today. It does require iOS 4 or iOS 5 to use and it is a fully open source jailbreak tweak - the code can be viewed here. If you're a jailbreak modding zealot who wants to get more out of the animation features of your iDevice, then check this tweak out and let us know what you think about it in the comments!

Name: Iris Shot
    Price: FREE
    Repo: BigBoss
    Version: 0.0.1-1
    Developer: Nikos Lykousas
    Editor's Rating:  4/5

Sources: Nikos Lykousas

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Why can I never see any of the YouTube videos?

I always get it can't show the URL.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Awesome, I'm about to go download it now.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Question Iris shot, not working
    Quote Originally Posted by Senyaichiya View Post

same thing, but it doesn't work. I installed and reinstalled but still doesn't work. I have Iphone 3Gs at 5.0.1. Any ideas?

My iPhone is a Part of Me Cmds187's Avatar
    Thanks

Same here and don't know why

Thanks

Same for me,I used to be able to but seems just lately I can't :0/

Thanks

People waste their time on crap like this? There really has not been much mods I've seen that actually make me want to jailbreak my phone. I guess if I had an iPod touch I'd **** with it but I prefer to keep my phone stock and not tinker with how it's supposed to work.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Norb View Post
    People waste their time on crap like this? There really has not been much mods I've seen that actually make me want to jailbreak my phone. I guess if I had an iPod touch I'd **** with it but I prefer to keep my phone stock and not tinker with how it's supposed to work.
    So did you make a modmyi account just to insult jailbreaking?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JPili View Post
    So did you make a modmyi account just to insult jailbreaking?
    Does that look like my first comment? Oh wait... I actually have been here long than you.

I have an iPhone and I jailbreak my AppleTV but some of these mods I see posted are just well... kinda dumb.
    Last edited by Norb; 01-21-2012 at 01:01 PM.