Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: CIRP Report: Used iPhone Market Continues to Flourish

Thanks

Default CIRP Report: Used iPhone Market Continues to Flourish

We usually hear about iPhone sales during Apple’s quarterly earnings report but one of the things most people don’t discuss often are secondary sales. This is the market where used iPhones in various conditions are bought and sold. I know many of you and I myself have been an active participant in this exchange, where people usually sell an old iPhone or iPad to get the current year’s model.

According to a report detailed by the Consumer Intelligence Research Partners (CIRP), it has been revealed that 53% of iPhone 4S owners got rid of their old handset to buy a new one. The re-purposed handsets were predominantly iPhones (49%), followed by BlackBerry (21%), and Android (15%). Another interesting statistic here was the fact that a lot of the iPhones (31%), were gifted and a smaller percentage (18%) were sold.

One thing that most users don’t keep in mind is that the exchange is not only advantageous for themselves but also for carriers too. Customers usually are able to get an iPhone for a lot less than retail this way and over 89% of the gifted iPhones were likely to be activated on a wireless carrier. Since the launch of the iPhone 4S, CIRP believes almost 11% of iPhone activations are second-hand phones sold in this method.

Mike Levin, the CIRP co-founder says that secondary sales of the iPhone are usually of mixed benefits for Apple. Although the Cupertino California based company loses sales because people buy used instead of new products, the fresh new customers are likely to purchase content from the iTunes and the App Store. Customers who enjoy the experience are also likely to stay iPhone customers and buy the next model when it’s released.

Do any of these statistics surprise you? Are you one of the many people who have sold or purchased a second-hand iOS device? Share any thoughts and opinions below!

Source: All Things D

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

None of these stats surprise me.

I'm one of many that find comfort knowing that you can pay for the next iPhone model with the funds you get from selling the a prior model.

Exactly one of the reasons many jailbreak as it retains the phone's value. Had the original iPhone and sold it jailbroken and unlocked, same with my 3G and my father's 3Gs. Of course I love my tweaks and probably couldn't live without them but at the end of the day, I know I have an iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1 jailbroken with 1.59.00 baseband which will sell like hot cakes when I buy the next generation model.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I do it to help my friends and family. Right after I'd bought my iPhone 4 at launch, I helped my brother buy an iPhone 4, and got a second-hand iPhone 3G for my mom. When the iPhone 5 comes out, I'll give my iPhone 4 to a friend of mine.
    He's an unhappy Android user, and I can't wait to help him out

I gave all my family 2nd hands iPhones

I've done this the last 3 years. Understandable.
    @Metaserph
    "You can only attain Peace through spreading Love to create Unity and earn the Respect of others" - Complex Simplicity

Quote Originally Posted by JORDAN™ View Post
    None of these stats surprise me.

I'm one of many that find comfort knowing that you can pay for the next iPhone model with the funds you get from selling the a prior model.

Exactly one of the reasons many jailbreak as it retains the phone's value. Had the original iPhone and sold it jailbroken and unlocked, same with my 3G and my father's 3Gs. Of course I love my tweaks and probably couldn't live without them but at the end of the day, I know I have an iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1 jailbroken with 1.59.00 baseband which will sell like hot cakes when I buy the next generation model.
    ------------------------------------

I have an iPhone 4 running 5.0.1 on baseband 04.11.08 factory unlocked (and jail broken), what would that fetch me out there? I have sim cards from O2 (UK), Claro & Viva (Dominican Rep.), MoviStar (Argentina). When I travel I make sure I carry a simcard cutter and that's about it.

Joey, eBay. Look it up.
    @Metaserph
    "You can only attain Peace through spreading Love to create Unity and earn the Respect of others" - Complex Simplicity

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

And this is the reason ATT refuses to unlock their iPhones bought on contract... ever.

i have an iphone 3GS of AT&T.i want to sell it and buy an used iphone 4!!! where can i sell and buy ???? iam from india!!