Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 78

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Throttled iPhone Versus Non-Throttled iPhone: You Might As Well Be Using Edge

  1. #41
    iPhone? More like MyPhone waroftyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cupertino, Ca
    Posts
    158
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by wirelessdeo View Post
    Any idea on what sort of data usage is needed to get capped? I normally use about 4gb a month and I have yet to get any warnings....what is needed to be in the top 5%????
    To answer your question, I got top 5% this month and last month. Last month when I got it I was just before 5gb. I got it again two nights ago and I'm at 2.31 gb. My data speed now is 0.04 mbps. Needless to say I'm going to be on the phone with AT&T tonight till I get something done because 2.34gb shouldn't be top 5%

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
    I just ran the test and got 4-5mb/ps download and 1mb/ps download on 3G running iOS5.0.1 ip4s
    AT&T unlimited plan
    I'm at 4.5 download and 1.06 upload with same hardware. Safe to say we're not throttled.

  3. #43
    My iPhone is a Part of Me iPittsburgh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    983
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 102 Times in 99 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Dranon View Post
    I'm on the other side of the fence! I lost my unlimited plan because they said I tethered my phone back in November. I just got my 4S and they slammed me into the 4gb tethering plan!! I have never used over 2gb of data and most months barely use 1bg!! I argued with them to no avail. I guess I really do not care because I do not use so much data but getting slammed with the tethering plan is jus ridiculous!!


    ^That sucks. The tiered plan data allotments are a joke, unless you're on wifi at home, work, and most places you go to.

    I just got 1.5 down and .4 up with my i4 on 5.0.1, 4/5 signal bars, speedtest.net app, just over 3gb of unlim.

    I used to average about 20gb during the mywi days until at&t cracked down on tethering. IMO if you pay for data then you should be able to use it as you please.
    Last edited by iPittsburgh; 01-17-2012 at 03:11 PM.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    It's normally for people that use 3G for ridiculous situations and use more than 25GB of data per month. You're not even close to being throttled at 3GB.
    nah dude at&t throttles you at 2gb. You're paying $5 extra a month for unlimited garbage internet after your first 2gb of mediocre 3G internet. Sprint does something similar (in that it has plans where your first amount of data is fast and then the rest of it is slow) except they are more open and clear about what they do to their customers.

  5. #45
    still if you have unlimited data or not after a certain point of data use like over 50GB in a month they will throttle you off unlimited or not.

  6. #46
    I think I'm being throttled I did 2 tests on 3G and 1 test on wifi. It makes sense. Now I'm guessing that's why on my lunch break it sucks to load anything.

    1 test: 0.15 download speed on 3G
    2 test: 8.51 download speed on wifi

    Wtf

  7. #47
    My iPhone is a Part of Me iPittsburgh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    983
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 102 Times in 99 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    I think I'm being throttled I did 2 tests on 3G and 1 test on wifi. It makes sense. Now I'm guessing that's why on my lunch break it sucks to load anything.

    1 test: 0.15 download speed on 3G
    2 test: 8.51 download speed on wifi

    Wtf
    How good is your signal strength? How much data have you used so far in your bill cycle?

  8. #48
    ATT, 4S, 3G
    Ping 128 ms
    DL 0.46 Mbps
    UL 0.87 Mbps

    4S, Wifi
    Ping 18 ms
    DL 13.82 Mbps
    UL 4.95 Mbps

    I think they're ******* me. I have a grandfather contract which I'll admit is wasted money because between 1/9/12 and 1/17/12 I've only used very minimal cellular network data as I am typically near wifi, 7.7MB Sent & 18.2MB Received. They are ******* me, right?

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    If you're grandfathered into unlimited data, then you're not capped. AT&T's new data plans such as the 256MB cap and 2GB cap mean that if you go over 256MB or 2GB then they can charge you for overages. Since you're unlimited, you don't have any caps to worry about.
    Wrong, I'm grandfathered into unlimited and I'm capped at 2GB and if I pass 2GB of data, AT&T will start throttling my data, regardless.
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

  10. #50
    Default Data cap
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    If you're grandfathered into unlimited data, then you're not capped. AT&T's new data plans such as the 256MB cap and 2GB cap mean that if you go over 256MB or 2GB then they can charge you for overages. Since you're unlimited, you don't have any caps to worry about.
    Hi I've been getting capped every month for the last 3 months at around 5GBS I am grandfathered in and I do get a text right around 7 in the morning before it happens I'm a truck driver so I listen to a lot of Pandora at night and hulu when i'm not driving i do get annoyed by it but i'm soo addicted to my iphone

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by iPittsburgh View Post
    How good is your signal strength? How much data have you used so far in your bill cycle?
    My signal was 2 bars with and without wifi. But I got into 3 signal bars and did it again with 3G and it was .65 download which was hell of a lot better then with 3 signal bars I did it again and that time I got 0.05 download. Wtf my usage is 165mb sent and 2.0Gb recieved but I never got the text and I am grandfathered in with unlimited. My usage stated above was since I got the phone pretty much on launch day. I'm hoping to relieve a text shortly showing my usage

    Edit
    My data says 895.12MB used
    Last edited by Silverado1987; 01-17-2012 at 05:13 PM.

  12. #52
    Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The Future
    Posts
    2,139
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked 239 Times in 197 Posts

    Try rebooting yet?

    My twitter, this app, emails and stuff aren't working unless I reboot then the data comes in brand new iphone4s, freakin AT&T I'm on unlimited it doesn't matter if I'm on wifi or not bazar

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by jose060789 View Post
    Wrong, I'm grandfathered into unlimited and I'm capped at 2GB and if I pass 2GB of data, AT&T will start throttling my data, regardless.
    That's called a soft cap. I am talking about when you are hard-capped at 2GB and get charged overages for going over. When you are unlimited you don't get charged extra, so in my theory that doesn't really even count for how I was answering that gentleman's question.

  14. #54
    My iPhone is a Part of Me iPittsburgh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    983
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 102 Times in 99 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    My signal was 2 bars with and without wifi. But I got into 3 signal bars and did it again with 3G and it was .65 download which was hell of a lot better then with 3 signal bars I did it again and that time I got 0.05 download. Wtf my usage is 165mb sent and 2.0Gb recieved but I never got the text and I am grandfathered in with unlimited. My usage stated above was since I got the phone pretty much on launch day. I'm hoping to relieve a text shortly showing my usage

    Edit
    My data says 895.12MB used
    Try another test when you have 4-5 bars and you'll notice a jump. Signal strength will affect data speeds, so will the time of day, like at noon many people are on their phones using data, but at 3am theres not going to be many people using the network.

    And dial *3282# to get an accurate idea of how much data you've used in your bill cycle.

  15. #55
    I'm also grandfathered since I've been with AT&T since the 2G turtle. I get that top %5 almost monthly and this is from just surfing the web and watching YouTube during lunch at work. I hope it isn't true that they throttle by the area you live in....come on I'm in Los Angeles.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by iPittsburgh View Post
    Try another test when you have 4-5 bars and you'll notice a jump. Signal strength will affect data speeds, so will the time of day, like at noon many people are on their phones using data, but at 3am theres not going to be many people using the network.

    And dial *3282# to get an accurate idea of how much data you've used in your bill cycle.
    Yeah like I said I had 3 bars at once and it was 0.65 another test at 3 bars with 0.07 so I was like wtf. But o well. My brother just did his. His 3G was 5.16Mb download and his work wifi was 8.91mb so yeah damn near 30 minute difference

  17. #57
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Dallas, Texas, United States
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    LA must suck big time on 3G, in Dallas I'm getting at least 6mps download speeds on 3G

  18. #58
    Abuse the system, get what you deserve.

  19. #59
    My iPhone is a Part of Me gdd2010's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    in a barred spiral galaxy on the Cepheus-Draco border
    Posts
    624
    Thanks
    264
    Thanked 367 Times in 229 Posts

    The data cap PER AT&T CONVERSATION is "any use greater than 2gig per month" is considered the "top 5%."
    Now, according to an email some are getting, it's considered to be 12 times the limited (2 gig per month) users. Which,I'm not a math genious here, equals 24 gig.
    So, AT&T, which is it?

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    Abuse the system, get what you deserve.
    Who is this directed at?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •