+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Throttled iPhone Versus Non-Throttled iPhone: You Might As Well Be Using Edge

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by buttrr76 You do know verizon has caps as well. and verizon has the slower iphone 4s... Crap sucks man cause even though Sprint is the only truly
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buttrr76 View Post
    You do know verizon has caps as well. and verizon has the slower iphone 4s...
    Crap sucks man cause even though Sprint is the only truly "unlimited" the 3G speeds they have imo don't compare to AT&T's 3G speeds...

Thanks

And this is why my wife is lucky and is with Sprint (truly unlimited). I am with AT&T and have a crappy 2GB. If it wasn't for wifi I would never be able to use my phone. I go over every single month.2GB is a joke!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothcreak View Post
    Ok so for those of you asking when can you be throttled I will tell you. First AT&T will send you a text saying you are approaching the top 5% of AT&T users and that your data speeds may be reduced. Then if you kept up your usage you will get a text saying that you have been slowed down until your next billing cycle. An what I have found is they start to throttle around 10gb a month. I am usually right aroun that and have been throttled for the past 5 months in a row.

It goes by where u live I'm only at 2gb and I'm throttled to .09 mbs

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 0Milk0 View Post
    Crap sucks man cause even though Sprint is the only truly "unlimited" the 3G speeds they have imo don't compare to AT&T's 3G speeds...
    My wife and I both have 4's. She is on Sprint and I am on AT&T. Hers is just as fast as mine when it comes to 3G speeds.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kil0111 View Post
    Woops! Sorry I meant throttled not capped. Just ran SpeedTest and I'm DLing 0.46mbps Uping at 1.00mbps and ping at 118ms. Notice any abnormalities? Running Att 4s
    You are kidding right? I thought I got a whiff of sarcasm simmering in the pot.

Using iPhone 4S, grandfathered unlimited plan:
    With a 3G connection I get 5.50 Mbps download & .83 Mbps upload on AT&T.
    With my wi-fi connection it pegs the meter & I get 22.50 Mbps download
    & 5.10 Mbps upload with Time Warner Road Runner wideband.
    Last edited by luvmytj; 01-17-2012 at 12:51 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shad0wM0nk3y View Post
    My wife and I both have 4's. She is on Sprint and I am on AT&T. Hers is just as fast as mine when it comes to 3G speeds.
    It all depends on where u r,, and r u running a speed test?

Thanks

Ok so for those of you asking when can you be throttled I will tell you. First AT&T will send you a text saying you are approaching the top 5% of AT&T users and that your data speeds may be reduced. Then if you kept up your usage you will get a text saying that you have been slowed down until your next billing cycle. An what I have found is they start to throttle around 10gb a month. I am usually right aroun that and have been throttled for the past 5 months in a row.

That would be this dreaded text message... FML

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

At&t throttled my data. I can still use pandora. But sometimes it skips. Hopefully someone in the jb community make an app that will overcome this. At&t should not treat grandfathered users like this. They should thank us for having them this long. IMHO

Thanks

I got throttled last month. i used 33.2 GB. It SUCK. I don't have wifi at home. Took forever to sent email or get any work done. I even lost an auction.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DoWoRkSoN's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buttrr76 View Post
    You do know verizon has caps as well. and verizon has the slower iphone 4s...
    Yeah well AT&T is not taking care of their loyal customers that have been with them for years like myself. If I'm going to be paying for service I would like to be treated right, not like they don't care about their clients..

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 767 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
    I just ran the test and got 4-5mb/ps download and 1mb/ps download on 3G running iOS5.0.1 ip4s
    AT&T unlimited plan
    You mean 4-5mb/s download and 1mb/s upload?

iPhone? More like MyPhone DoWoRkSoN's Avatar
    Thanks

Lies because I got throttle after just hitting 2GB....they lie about that!

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    You are kidding right? I thought I got a whiff of sarcasm simmering in the pot.

Using iPhone 4S, grandfathered unlimited plan:
    With a 3G connection I get 5.50 Mbps download & .83 Mbps upload on AT&T.
    With my wi-fi connection it pegs the meter & I get 22.50 Mbps download
    & 5.10 Mbps upload with Time Warner Road Runner wideband.
    Is that all?

Lol I got up to 40.86 Mbps download
    7.44upload on my WiFi at home of course I'm paying for 50mbps download

iPhone? More like MyPhone Dranon's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm on the other side of the fence! I lost my unlimited plan because they said I tethered my phone back in November. I just got my 4S and they slammed me into the 4gb tethering plan!! I have never used over 2gb of data and most months barely use 1bg!! I argued with them to no avail. I guess I really do not care because I do not use so much data but getting slammed with the tethering plan is jus ridiculous!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,718 Times in 851 Posts

Ha! This explains why my mom is always complaining that the iPhone 4S is slower than her old Motorola Droid - she's on Verizon and was grandfathered into unlimited data. Bastards.

Thanks

Default I'm one of the top 5% that got the text warning....
    Quote Originally Posted by JazJon View Post
    This is total garbage. I can't even stream my favorite radio station without it buffering over and over. What's the use of even having unlimited data at all at this point??????????

This is totally garbage! I have unlimited data but now I'm limited? I called them to complain and they just said that the network is to congested with the unlimited people that the newer users cant get the same speeds. I say they should just invest in towers and not make it our fault that their network sucks. I just stream Pandora in my car and I got the throttle text.... Sprint is sounded good these days...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by draztikbeast View Post
    At&t throttled my data. I can still use pandora. But sometimes it skips. Hopefully someone in the jb community make an app that will overcome this. At&t should not treat grandfathered users like this. They should thank us for having them this long. IMHO
    I don't think it will be possible because AT&T specifically targets you and throttles your speeds...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kil0111 View Post
    Soo I'm grandfathered in to unlimited data and I'm not sure what numbers to look at to tell if I'm capped or not...?
    It depends your general location, however watching the video will give you a bit of a clue.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

After I used 10GB for the month of December, I was throttled. I was getting a pretty consistant 3-4 Mbps with my iPhone 4. After throtteling, I was a consistent .13 Mbps Download Speed. What an atrocity. How can we be moving backwards in technology?? I thought it was moving forward. I am sooo pissed.

So I called At&T, told them that I wanted to cancel my service (Still in Contract), and I REFUSED to pay my ETF (Early Termination Fee). The operator said she didn't blame me and was willing to void the fee.

I held off canceling, because I'm waiting for the new iPhone to come out.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

So it looks like they should change it to "the top 5% in your area" instead since some are throttled at 2gb while others at 10+gb.

Luckily I don't live in a big city and can get 3-5gb without being throttled yet still get up to 9Mbps downloads.. although that's only in the middle of the night or early morning.