Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Developing Water-Resistant iPhone 5?

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default Apple Developing Water-Resistant iPhone 5?

Water damage continues to be a major impediment to the otherwise long-life most iPhones and iDevices should be fortunate enough to enjoy. But if you're accident-prone around water or have a toddler who likes to drop things into the "potty" (something I learned the hard way), the concept of Apple developing water-proof iDevices is very, very attractive.

Apparently, the team in Cupertino shares our concern. As a result, we're hearing today that a company called HzO, which makes a high-profile "WaterBlock" technology, is said to be in talks with Apple to make iPhones and, ostensibly, other Apple gadgets water resistant.

According to our friends at Picket-lint, a company official was recently heard at CES saying that they "expect HzO to be in next season's phones." It has been rumored but not confirmed for more than two years now that Apple wants water repelling technology for its iPhone. If the reports out of CES are accurate, such a development may transpire in time for the next-gen iPhone.

The people at HZ0 maintain that their WaterBlock solution is safe and made from organic materials. For those chiefly concerned with the iPhone's look and feel, the company says WaterBlock wouldn't alter the phone's appearance or weight.

Source: Pocket-lint

If I were Apple, I'm not sure I'd confirm or deny the use of this product. Sure it will make a fantastic selling point, but it might cause some people to be more lax or even go as far as testing the products protection.

Why not team up with the already tested water-proofing with Liquipel? It's a coating with not weight or alteration to the device.

I wonder how this compares to Liquipel's waterproofing..

Apple make an absolute fortune from people breaking their iDevice due to water damage. I can't see them signing up to this...

Quote Originally Posted by Liambakerg View Post
    Apple make an absolute fortune from people breaking their iDevice due to water damage. I can't see them signing up to this...
    exactly!

Ding! Ding! Ding! This man (^^^^) gets it. Business 101.

@Liambakerg,

True, but it can be argued that all of the major smartphone making companies like Samsung, Android etc make substantial amounts of money from what you stated, and therefore this may be Apple's attempt in trying to be unique as a smartphone retailer and lessen their competition, hence making more money in the long term until these other companies follow Apple's lead an incorporate water repellant tech ini heir own phones.

None of this would be true until Apple actually does go down this route, of course.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I think the company official is blowing smoke, trying to impress investors. Apple would have acquired them by now if there were plans to be used in 2 years.

Apple makes first good water-repellent smartphone. Everybody buys this new phone since it's the best water-repellent phone out there, especially new customers. Those new customers then become Apple fanboys. Apple makes bank.

I mean, it's a slight gamble but they might go for it.

Besides, they could make the thing short out when it comes in contact with Uranium or something. Making nukes is against the TOS
    question = (to) ? be : !be;

Not really sure they make that much, they replaced my 32gb iphone 4 for 119.

iPhone? More like MyPhone cockyjeremy's Avatar
    Thanks

I doubt it. They give them to customers for free sometimes when they get them wet, or at the $199/299/399 price at least. Besides, with all of the insurance out there now, Apple doesn't make much of anything from people for breaking/buying new devices. If anything, this will make people worry less and want iPhones more. I'd say that outweighs what they make from people having to buy new devices.

Quote Originally Posted by LearningMan View Post
    Ding! Ding! Ding! This man (^^^^) gets it. Business 101.
    This is amateur business. Real business is about making great products (sound familiar?). They've never been about quantity (eg, selling more phones to people who break them). Besides the fact that it's plain stupid and childish for Apple to try to profit off broken phones, Apple'll get many new customers by having the "first waterproof phone."

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raeki View Post
    This is amateur business. Real business is about making great products (sound familiar?). They've never been about quantity (eg, selling more phones to people who break them). Besides the fact that it's plain stupid and childish for Apple to try to profit off broken phones, Apple'll get many new customers by having the "first waterproof phone."
    1) Doubt it would be waterproof *the article doesn't even claim that)
    2) We already have water resistant phones, but that won't stop Apple from claiming they are first (and people from believing it)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Quote Originally Posted by nerddownthestreet View Post
    Apple makes first good water-repellent smartphone. Everybody buys this new phone since it's the best water-repellent phone out there, especially new customers. Those new customers then become Apple fanboys. Apple makes bank.

I mean, it's a slight gamble but they might go for it.

Besides, they could make the thing short out when it comes in contact with Uranium or something. Making nukes is against the TOS
    Dude in apples terms of service it clearly states: no nukes!
    (null)

Thanks

As much as I would like to see it, I doubt Apple will be the first to put this technology to use. HzO has already made a name for themselves and other companies (Samsung, HTC, Nokia, etc...) are going to be all over it. The next generation iPhone isn't set to release anytime soon, so that'll leave the door wide open for whoever wins the race to market "the first waterproof smartphone." Samsung releases a new phone every other day (so to speak) so I'm betting they'll be the first to put this sort of tech to use. I'd love to see Apple do it first though.

^ thats THEIR problem if they want to test it.

im in for this.

I agree to a point! But then how much more could apple charge for it as an optional extra! An I think that is how they would use it!

Quote Originally Posted by cockyjeremy View Post
    Apple doesn't make much of anything from people for breaking/buying new devices. If anything, this will make people worry less and want iPhones more. I'd say that outweighs what they make from people having to buy new devices.
    I'm not sure if i believe this 100%... I personally think that Apple do make a fortune from broken/damaged phones. Just for example if you were to crack/smash the screen on an iPhone 4 you are looking at a possible $200 bill to have it repaired (This figure might not be 100% accurate and can change depending on how nice the Genius behind the Bar is) when it costs Apple themselves $188 to build the whole phone. If they were not out to make money on customers they would repair that at cost price + labour and be done with it. If they weren't making money on fixing iPhones then there wouldn't be such a market out there for all of these other iPhone repair services.

Quote Originally Posted by scroogelives View Post
    I agree to a point! But then how much more could apple charge for it as an optional extra! An I think that is how they would use it!
    That I agree with, I can definitely see Apple using this as an optional extra and I can see them making a fortune from it. I just can't see Apple making this standard for all iDevices.
    Last edited by Liambakerg; 01-16-2012 at 04:58 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by justibackwardsn View Post
    If I were Apple, I'm not sure I'd confirm or deny the use of this product. Sure it will make a fantastic selling point, but it might cause some people to be more lax or even go as far as testing the products protection.
    ..Which might increase sales?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast