+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] Hide Unwanted App Store Updates With Update Hider for iOS 5

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Never be badgered to update an application on the App Store again. When an update for one of your applications comes out on the App Store, sometimes you install it
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default [Review] Hide Unwanted App Store Updates With Update Hider for iOS 5

Never be badgered to update an application on the App Store again.

When an update for one of your applications comes out on the App Store, sometimes you install it immediately with thinking or sometimes you ignore it. There are the stubborn few who will only update applications when something big comes out, but there are a select few that won't update applications. Period. Just because the application already works for them and they don't want an update to ruin that for them. If you are either of these two kinds of people that doesn't like being bugged for App Store updates when you have no intention to update the application, then this tweak might be for you.

It's called Update Hider for iOS 5 by iOS developer Will Homer and it puts a settings pane in your Settings application that allows you to hide certain application updates from the App Store. You can hide any of them, and make them appear again on demand. When you press the hide button in your Settings application and then go back to the App Store to load up the updates tab, you'll find to your surprise that the update is no longer showing up because you have hidden it. This means that the badge that plagues the App Store application icon disappears too.

If you remember the original Update Hider, it was made for other firmwares but it would not work with iOS 5. Update Hider for iOS 5 has been completely rewritten to work with iOS 5. The major difference between the two is that in the iOS 5 version, updates must be hidden from the Settings application where in the previous versions updates must be hidden from the App Store application. For anyone used to the old version, this change might confuse you.

One thing to note is that only the current update version of the application will be hidden. What this means is that if I have Angry Birds 1.0 installed and Angry Birds 1.1 comes out and I hide it, if Angry Birds 1.2 comes out then I will be able to see that update. It works like this so that if you inadvertently forget that you hid an update for an application, you can be reminded at the time that a new update is out so that you can once again decide if the update is worth downloading.

Update Hider for iOS 5 is free in Cydia and is only compatible with iOS 5. All settings are configured from the Settings application and no icons are added to the home screen. The tweak works great as it was intended.

Name: Update Hider for iOS 5
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Will Homer
    Editor's Rating:  5/5

Will you be using Update Hider for iOS 5 to hide your App Store updates? Share in the comments.

Sources: Will Homer

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

...for when your pirated apps want to update, but you can't find an updated cracked app.

Thanks
    Exactly!!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    ...for when your pirated apps want to update, but you can't find an updated cracked app.

Takes one to know one?

I don't update some apps because the new version is crap.... this will come in handy.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

In my iDays, I've seen perfectly functional and stable apps turn into flaming balls of poo because of an update. Netflix and Facebook come to mind especially.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I love how this tweak was originally created for another reason we cannot talk about here Thanks Will

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Fantastic app, allows me to hide the only update I never want to apply - that stupid new Twitter app, allowing me to stay on the old version that actually works

Thanks
    I installed on my iPhone 4 and it works perfectly, I also installed on my iPad 1 but it doesn't work, all updatess are shown in the App Store app.

qnc
    Thanks

Thanks Will for this I don't update often. I hate it when I get an app that I like then the the developer updates the app and you have relearn the app or it has a bug in it and you are waiting for an update. That is usually why i keep my old ipa's incase i hate an update.
    example the Google voice app that has been buggy after updates or another I bought words with friends and the paid version had just as many or more adds than the free app.

Badges, I don't need any stinking badges.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Perfect for DirecTv app for iPad! Wouldn't want to accidentally update before jailbreak protection fix is updated for the app. Talk about a never ending game of cat & mouse!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by c0dy View Post
    In my iDays, I've seen perfectly functional and stable apps turn into flaming balls of poo because of an update. Netflix and Facebook come to mind especially.
    So true...

Green Apple
    Thanks
    is there Hider Update for IOS 6 yet or another tweak that almost same out there... it seem one app in Apple Store is update for higher than 6.1. i don't want delete that game.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ABOSWORTH's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by c0dy View Post
    So true.

Thanks

Crashes the settings app on iPad mini 6.1.2. Please help/fix.