+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Chronic Dev Team's Crash Reporter Tool Released As Cydia Package

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The Chronic Dev Team's tool is now available as a Cydia package. Do you remember the tool that the Chronic Dev team released that let them obtain your iOS crash
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Chronic Dev Team's Crash Reporter Tool Released As Cydia Package

The Chronic Dev Team's tool is now available as a Cydia package.

Do you remember the tool that the Chronic Dev team released that let them obtain your iOS crash reports instead of Apple? Thanks to a feature of iOS 5 that allows the iDevice to send crash reports to Apple directly from the device without a computer (the PC-free feature), developer innoying has built a Cydia package that will do exactly the same thing without you needing to tether up to a computer and run software. The package can be downloaded for free in Cydia and it's called, "CDevReporter." It's new and you will find it under the recent changes.

What it does is it sends your crash reports from iOS to the Chronic Dev team instead of Apple so that they can search for exploits that will aid with future jailbreaks. With iOS 5.1 just on the horizon, we are hoping that the Chronic Dev team will be able to construct an untethered jailbreak for iOS 5.1 as well. iOS 5.1 allows us to delete photos from our Photo Stream individually instead of an all-or-nothing ideal. Also, it's said to completely fix the battery problem with the iPhone 4S and allow iPhone 4S users to toggle 3G.

When you install CDevReporter, you will be given a new settings Cell that give you the option to toggle the crash reporting tool on and off at your own leisure. This gives you the option to keep your data personal or public based on your own convenience. It will use the same data that was collected by the computer version of the tool, only this Cydia package makes the process automatic and more mobile. The Settings for CDevReporter will look like the image below:

The settings gives you a good overview of what the package does - installing a daemon in the background to monitor crashes - which can be enabled or disabled at any time with the switch. We ask that if you want to see more future jailbreaks for iOS 5, keeping them untethered as well, that you please assist in dumping your crash reports to the Chronic Dev team.

Sources: Cydia
    Thanks to Modmyi reader PoEtikly for the tip.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 01-15-2012 at 12:18 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

Jahooba (01-19-2012)

Random Thanks Collector Richard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 547 Posts

As soon as the iPhone 4S Jailbreak is out and I can have the joys of Cydia once again. I will gladly send my crash reports :-)
    . I Am the Random Thanks Collector So Please Press the Thanks Button

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt1503 View Post
    As soon as the iPhone 4S Jailbreak is out and I can have the joys of Cydia once again. I will gladly send my crash reports :-)
    True story! I'll still set this up on the 4 other iDevices I have running, though. (big family...)

Thanks

i hate to be 'that' guy here but how will we know if this package, once installed, won't be sending personal and private and potentially vulnerable information to whoever needs it? i mean...it would be VERY easy to do that with a package like this...ur anyway sending 'reports' to somebody aren't you. dont get me wrong - im all woohoo go joe about the dev team and anyone who was even remotely involved with jailbreaking - i've donated as well quite generously from time to time - but this smells a little fishy. im not saying the guys who made the app ARE going to misuse it but im saying people are easily corruptible.

let the bashing begin... :P

iPhone? More like MyPhone Daerid's Avatar
    Thanks

The conspiracy theorist in me asks the same questions. But the jailbreaker in me holds on faith that they'll do the right thing for everyone.

Thanks

whose to say that that isn't happening, right now, under the guise of a theme or tweak?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daerid View Post
    The conspiracy theorist in me asks the same questions. But the jailbreaker in me holds on faith that they'll do the right thing for everyone.
    This would be easy to see, just make sure they're sent over wifi and run the old man in the middle attack. Sniff those packets it should be pretty easy to figure out.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daerid View Post
    And then there's people like me - with nothing to hide and nothing to gain or lose from information privacy. No Facebook account, no twitter, no personal web page, no time for social stuff, just modmyi, jail broken iPhones, and work. IMHO - Some people are just paranoid...

Thanks

LADIES AND GENTLE..MEN REMEMBER THEY R ONLY SHOWING YOU THE DOOR .....YOU HAVE TO WALK THRU IT... WHAT.. damien6 HAS SAID HAS A GOOD POINT ITS AND IDEA I CAN SEE HAPPENING AND MANIFEST IN THAT WAY THRU A TWEAK OR ANY OTHER NAME THEY MIGHT WANT TO PUT ON IT BUT I COMPLETELY CHOOSE TO BE ON THE SAME SIDE Daerid IS I CHOOSE TO BELIEVE ME AND THE DEVS ARE PART OF THE SAME IDEA WHICH IS KEEP THE COMMUNITY ALIVE HELP EACH OTHER ......I MEAN I WOULDNT MIND SENDING THEM MY CRASH REPORTS IF THAT WILL HELP THEM FIND EXPLOITS I WILL IHAVE AN IPHONE SOLELY TO MAKE IT SEE CRASH ALL THE TIME...THAT SAID IF ITS ONLY THAT NOT MY INFO OR ANYTHING PERSONAL ITS COMPLETELY UR CHOICEE WETHER TO INSTALL IT OR NOT............
    Last edited by c0deName_ZERO; 01-15-2012 at 05:00 AM.

Thanks

Is there a repo for this as can't find it when I search cydia??

Green Apple
    Thanks

Hey devteamers, do you ever think it will be possible to extract a iOS update and manually replace the files in the OS that are patched from this OTA update? Maybe we can patch all the files manually except the one pertaining to the exploit so we can have a 5.1 OS without breaking our jb's. Use something like files to overwrite the existing files that were extracted from the OTA package. I'm sure there can be some daemon that watches for updates and parses it out no?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by damien6 View Post
    i hate to be 'that' guy here but how will we know if this package, once installed, won't be sending personal and private and potentially vulnerable information to whoever needs it? i mean...it would be VERY easy to do that with a package like this...ur anyway sending 'reports' to somebody aren't you. dont get me wrong - im all woohoo go joe about the dev team and anyone who was even remotely involved with jailbreaking - i've donated as well quite generously from time to time - but this smells a little fishy. im not saying the guys who made the app ARE going to misuse it but im saying people are easily corruptible.

let the bashing begin... :P
    If your that worried about the app have a sniff of what it's sending out... I'm sure you'll find nothing sinful

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

As soon as I saw "chronic dev team" in the title I thought it was the untether, and then I was like oh.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lewisdenny View Post
    If your that worried about the app have a sniff of what it's sending out... I'm sure you'll find nothing sinful
    hopefully not

some guy mentioned above that even themes and tweaks could be doing the same and thats a solid point too. hopefully these things are clean

iPhone? More like MyPhone bootleg's Avatar
    Thanks

since the app has been out for quite a bit for older devices, you'd think there'd been reports of stolen data and certainly problems relating to priveledged info showing up somewhere. since that hasn't happened...certainly nothing from my device that i know of, i'm not convinced this is in any way a problem.

Thanks

Jeez

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I'm a bit dense when it comes to this stuff (hence the name iPhonePutz) so please bear with the dumb question... What good are crash reports from a device that's already jailbroken?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    i hate to be 'that' guy here but how will we know if this package, once installed, won't be sending personal and private and potentially vulnerable information to whoever needs it?
    Well first of all that's a risk of almost anything in Cydia. But actually the risk is less for an app like this. Here's why. First, I made it open-source for all of you skeptics who are afraid of what's its doing. Second it's written in an interpreted language (node.js). So if you wanted you could actually check that it's doing what it says by opening the launch.js file. It's minified on the final version for Cydia to save data but it's still understandable.

i mean...it would be VERY easy to do that with a package like this...ur anyway sending 'reports' to somebody aren't you.
    Yes. Normally it sends them to Apple. This app disables the sending to Apple and sends them to the CDev Team. As I mentioned above it's open source. So you can confirm it is actually the same URL as the official app. I have no intentions to change that. I have no use for Crash Reports.

Quote Originally Posted by iPhonePutz View Post
    I'm a bit dense when it comes to this stuff (hence the name iPhonePutz) so please bear with the dumb question... What good are crash reports from a device that's already jailbroken?
    Apps still crash all the time. Those crashes are just as useful. And sometimes ones caused by jailbreaks can be used to make future jailbreaks more stable.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
    Hey devteamers, do you ever think it will be possible to extract a iOS update and manually replace the files in the OS that are patched from this OTA update? Maybe we can patch all the files manually except the one pertaining to the exploit so we can have a 5.1 OS without breaking our jb's. Use something like files to overwrite the existing files that were extracted from the OTA package. I'm sure there can be some daemon that watches for updates and parses it out no?
    It's highly unlikely that would work. I've talked with p0sixninja and MuscleNerd about it and they didn't think it would really be possible due to the way OTA updates work. For more info on that see my blog post here: An analysis of iOS 5 OTA updates by @innoying - innoying

Hope that helps,
    Luke
    Last edited by innoying; 01-15-2012 at 09:52 AM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to innoying For This Useful Post:

Jahooba (01-19-2012)

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ohthatguyagain View Post
    And then there's people like me - with nothing to hide and nothing to gain or lose from information privacy. No Facebook account, no twitter, no personal web page, no time for social stuff, just modmyi, jail broken iPhones, and work. IMHO - Some people are just paranoid...
    I think most people don;t TRULY have anything to hide, gain or lose, but are skeptical based on principal.

Quote Originally Posted by c0deName_ZERO View Post
    LADIES AND GENTLE..MEN REMEMBER THEY R ONLY SHOWING YOU THE DOOR .....YOU HAVE TO WALK THRU IT... WHAT.. damien6 HAS SAID HAS A GOOD POINT ITS AND IDEA I CAN SEE HAPPENING AND MANIFEST IN THAT WAY THRU A TWEAK OR ANY OTHER NAME THEY MIGHT WANT TO PUT ON IT BUT I COMPLETELY CHOOSE TO BE ON THE SAME SIDE Daerid IS I CHOOSE TO BELIEVE ME AND THE DEVS ARE PART OF THE SAME IDEA WHICH IS KEEP THE COMMUNITY ALIVE HELP EACH OTHER ......I MEAN I WOULDNT MIND SENDING THEM MY CRASH REPORTS IF THAT WILL HELP THEM FIND EXPLOITS I WILL IHAVE AN IPHONE SOLELY TO MAKE IT SEE CRASH ALL THE TIME...THAT SAID IF ITS ONLY THAT NOT MY INFO OR ANYTHING PERSONAL ITS COMPLETELY UR CHOICEE WETHER TO INSTALL IT OR NOT............
    I read the first four words and stopped. If you actually want people to read what you have to say, you will need to clean up that caps locked wall of text, my friend.

/headache
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Im in if it will help with jail-breaking! Why not make them more stable? They will be alot better if they can make them more stable and crash less Installing now.