+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: GrooveShark Back on iOS Devices with New Web App

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default GrooveShark Back on iOS Devices with New Web App

The popular music service, Grooveshark, seems to have made its way back to the iPhone, thanks to the company’s new HTML web app. Many Grooveshark fans will be happy to hear that you can now access the free service on iOS devices without the need for a jailbroken app. Apple originally pulled Grooveshark from the App Store because of its questionably-illegal nature. Shortly after, the app became available on Cydia for those with jailbroken iOS devices. The company seems to have abandoned Flash for the more mobile-friendly HTML5 web app that all iOS users can enjoy.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with Grooveshark, the service seems to be a mix of Pandora and Spotify. Utilizing the new web app, you can search for songs and play different stations (like Pandora). Songs can be played in the background through Mobile Safari and the app’s UI scales very well for the iPhone and iPad. The selection found in Grooveshark isn’t as large as what’s available on the iTunes Store, but those with a more mainstream taste in music shouldn’t have any trouble finding what you are looking for. For unlimited access and no ads on your mobile device, you can purchase Grooveshark Anywhere for $9/month.

This HTML5 app is an example of another company circumventing the curated nature of Apple’s App Store. Amazon recently launched an HTML5 web app for the iPad that allows users to purchase Kindle ebooks as well. This was Amazon’s big move after they offered to purchase links for ebooks in its native iOS app because it violated the App Store’s guidelines.

Have any of you tried Grooveshark’s web app out? If so, what did you think of it? Share any thoughts and opinions below!

Source: The Next Web

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

awesome. now we just need to be able to login with our accounts to access our favs and whatnot and it will be perfect.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Felling like iOS has become a big burden for no value.
    iPhone 4 with iOS 5 worked well but iPhone 4s with its origin iOS 5 does support many of the apps and features. Its just SIRI that made the way for iPhone 4s and SIRI hangs a lot.
    iphone 4s is not doing better in the market.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

"Questionably-illegal nature." Lol. I love how certain aspects of "illegal nature" are not only allowed to be discussed here, but there are entire posts about the subject(s), and discussion is encouraged.

If Grooveshark is perceived by some as stealing music...why is it allowed to be discussed? If this had anything to do with a certain other topic that we cannot even mention the name of here, we would not only not be allowed to discuss it, but are posts would be edited or deleteted entirely.....Double standards....so strange.
    El Zurdo

iPhone? More like MyPhone DaLsim's Avatar
    Thanks

I'll stick to pandora...

iPhone? More like MyPhone shigh's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
    "Questionably-illegal nature." Lol. I love how certain aspects of "illegal nature" are not only allowed to be discussed here, but there are entire posts about the subject(s), and discussion is encouraged.

If Grooveshark is perceived by some as stealing music...why is it allowed to be discussed? If this had anything to do with a certain other topic that we cannot even mention the name of here, we would not only not be allowed to discuss it, but are posts would be edited or deleteted entirely.....Double standards....so strange.
    True that. So stealing music = ok. Stealing apps = no bueno. Btw anyone know if i can purchase intelliscreen x for two diff phones? If not ill have to steal it lol

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah it does sort of suck that you can't add to my music or to offline capabilities. I got rid of all the songs stored on my phone so I can have that memory for other stuff. Grooveshark is great!

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

I think I'll stick to the GS app in cydia for now

Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 857 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shigh View Post
    True that. So stealing music = ok. Stealing apps = no bueno. Btw anyone know if i can purchase intelliscreen x for two diff phones? If not ill have to steal it lol
    You can share IntelliScreenX and any other tweak on any iDevice you want. So go ahead and buy it!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

"Questionably-illegal nature." Lol. I love how certain aspects of "illegal nature" are not only allowed to be discussed here, but there are entire posts about the subject(s), and discussion is encouraged - snip.
    As far as I'm aware, anyone can upload music to Grooveshark, which is why there's usually multiple copies of the same album on there. All the music on there could have been ripped from CDs bought on amazon which would be fine, but it's extremely likely that some music on there is from a less than legitimate source, hence 'Questionably-illegal nature'

~

I use Grooveshark with the Groovin' greasy scrobbler for Chrome A LOT. If I could sign in and play my playlists this would be great, though it matches Last.fm for iPhone's functionality whilst being free so that's nice.

iPhone? More like MyPhone shigh's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    You can share IntelliScreenX and any other tweak on any iDevice you want. So go ahead and buy it!
    I ask because i was gonna buy it for my wifes 3gs and a lil pop up said i could only use it between one set of idevices. Ie: one phone, one ipod, one ipad. Ima try it. We will see if it works when the a5 jb comes out n i try to install it on my phone

Thanks

Pandora + skip hack

Green Apple
    Thanks

"Questionably-illegal nature."

If Grooveshark is perceived by some as stealing music....
    Clearly you haven't ever used grooveshark. It's not a music download website, but rather it just streams whatever music you look for. It's different from pandora though, because it plays EXACTLY the song you want to play, not "similar" songs as pandora/spotify does. So yeah, I don't see the problem with talking about this website, since there's no illegal downloads

Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 857 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shigh View Post
    I ask because i was gonna buy it for my wifes 3gs and a lil pop up said i could only use it between one set of idevices. Ie: one phone, one ipod, one ipad. Ima try it. We will see if it works when the a5 jb comes out n i try to install it on my phone
    I have ISX (and all my other tweaks) on several iDevices so you should be good to go!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Can't seem to find it... is it under a different name?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coqui258 View Post
    http://html5.grooveshark.com

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coqui258 View Post
    It's a Web App not a Apple Store App...there is no way Apple would let this in the Apple Store...so just go on GrooveSharks website on your iphone and grab the Web App

Thanks

Don't know if it's just me, but when I save it to home screen there is no preset logo so you end up with an ugly screenshot icon. Also doesn't hide the address bar when you load it, so it's not fully optimised. Works though so I can't knock it on that basis.

iPhone 4 5.0.1 Untethered Redsn0w
    iPad 2 5.0.1 Untethered Absinthe

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fatalcrixer View Post
    Pandora + skip hack
    Doesnt even compare.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Angry Siri in iphone 4
    Siri hangs while assisting. i had to reboot my device again and again.
    Siri is not recognizing my accent properly and does something different than assisted.
    It is better to do self rather assisting,