+ Reply
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS 5.1 Patches Corona Untethered Jailbreak: Update to iOS 5.0.1 While You Still Can!

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Want an untethered jailbreak? Don't Update to iOS 5.1. The recent untethered jailbreak for A4 devices and the upcoming untethered jailbreak for A5 devices will only be for iOS 5.0.1.
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,041 Times in 763 Posts

Default iOS 5.1 Patches Corona Untethered Jailbreak: Update to iOS 5.0.1 While You Still Can!

Want an untethered jailbreak? Don't Update to iOS 5.1.

The recent untethered jailbreak for A4 devices and the upcoming untethered jailbreak for A5 devices will only be for iOS 5.0.1. It has been confirmed that iOS 5.1 beta 3 closes the exploit for the Corona untethered jailbreak - yes that includes the redsn0w 0.9.10 jailbreak because it uses the same exploits found by iOS hacker pod2g as Corona does. iOS 5.1 is currently in beta, and will be released to the public very soon.

If you want your untethered jailbreak for iOS 5, then we recommend that you stay with iOS 5.0.1, or you update to iOS 5.0.1 if you have not already as soon as you possibly can. Since iOS 5.1 closes the exploits used in iOS 5.0.1 with the Corona untether, more exploits will need to be found to jailbreak iOS 5.1 untethered. A4 devices will likely have a tethered jailbreak for iOS 5.1 at least, because of the fact that A4 devices have a bootrom exploit. A5 devices on the other hand, won't be so lucky. A5 devices also currently have no way to downgrade firmware, so again I emphasize, if you want an untethered jailbreak then get on iOS 5.0.1 while you have the chance!

If you are an A4 device user and you have your APticket and SHSH blob custom firmware for iOS 5.0.1, then you can update to iOS 5.1 to try it out when it comes out with the security that you can always downgrade again. iOS 5.1 will bring few new features to iOS such as the ability to delete individual photos from your Photo Stream, and the ability to toggle 3G on the iPhone 4S. It is also said to have indefinitely solved the battery crisis on the iPhone 4S. If you feel that these features are worth losing an untethered jailbreak over, then go ahead and make the leap of faith.

If you are using an A4 device and you want to secure your position in iOS 5.0.1, then you can follow our guide on making a custom iOS 5.0.1 firmware with iFaith. It was written for iOS 5.0 but it will be the same process for making an iOS 5.0.1 firmware. You can also use TinyUmbrella and redsn0w to make custom firmware if you're not a Windows user. Good luck!

Sources: Redmond Pie

iPhone? More like MyPhone spooneditr's Avatar
    Thanks

I wonder if we can use that app that came out to send the dev team or who ever the crashes and uses it to find holes for the next untethered or tethered jailbreak.

Your mom has "spirit" but I used my "pwnage tool" on her all night long and "ultrasn0wed" all over her. haha

Thanks

iPhone 4s users will have to decide wether the battery fix or the jailbreak. Tough decision IMO.
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

Thanks
    Thanked 9,122 Times in 2,709 Posts

We knew this day was coming, it was a matter of time. But it sure came fast.
    @Metaserph
    "You can only attain Peace through spreading Love to create Unity and earn the Respect of others" - Complex Simplicity

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I hope someone will incorporate the 3G toggle on 5.0.1 through jailbreak. Having 3G enable all the time is definitely one of the main culprit of battery lost.

Thanks

Man you scared me when i first read the title. Im at work and my 4S is at home still on 5.0. I think you need to be a little more clearer in your article that 5.1 has not been released yet and is still in beta.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,122 Times in 2,709 Posts

If you're in WiFi range you can always turn off Cellular Data in Settings to force all data through WiFi, or if you're jailbroken you can use SBSettings.

Quote Originally Posted by xclusiveiphone View Post
    I hope someone will incorporate the 3G toggle on 5.0.1 through jailbreak. Having 3G enable all the time is definitely one of the main culprit of battery lost.
    @Metaserph
    "You can only attain Peace through spreading Love to create Unity and earn the Respect of others" - Complex Simplicity

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kickerman65 View Post
    Man you scared me when i first read the title. Im at work and my 4S is at home still on 5.0. I think you need to be a little more clearer in your article that 5.1 has not been released yet and is still in beta.
    The title says update to 5.0.1 while you still can

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,041 Times in 763 Posts

Update while you still can.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Will I be able to use the SHSH to upgrade my iPad2 to 5.0.1 when the JB comes out?

Thanks

I wonder about those on the iPad 2 with the 4.3.3 jailbreak

iPhone? More like MyPhone Italia411's Avatar
    Thanks

The battery is horrible on my 4s. I went to bed last night at 100% woke up at 26%. I wonder if 5.1 can really fix this considering the iPad 2 uses the same processor and uses 3 of these batteries. Now before you flame me I understand the display is larger on my iPad 2 but the battery lasts forever compared to my 4s. I will give up the battery fix for a untethered jb and hope their is a jb tweak eventually that fixes the battery issue.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by celeron View Post
    iPhone 4s users will have to decide wether the battery fix or the jailbreak. Tough decision IMO.
    im on 5.0.1. with 3 accounts "pushed" to the phone and my battery lasts all day.. no issues here.

Thanks
    Wont you still be able to update from 5.0 to 5.0.1 via DFU, eventhough 5.1 is released?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by metaserph View Post
    If you're in WiFi range you can always turn off Cellular Data in Settings to force all data through WiFi, or if you're jailbroken you can use SBSettings.
    Not a good idea, since this will disable my visual voice mail which I like to use. Also there is no jailbreak for the 4S yet, so SBSettings isn't really an option. In addition, it's still unknown whether the 3G toggle for SBSetting even work for the 4S when we get the jailbreak.

Green Apple
    Thanks

How about the fact that you shouldn't be in a position to be scared because your 4S should have already been updated to 5.0.1 in the first place like you were told to do last week by every single blogger in the community. I hope they release 5.1 tonight and you miss out on the jailbreak.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by no1stunna2k View Post
    I wonder about those on the iPad 2 with the 4.3.3 jailbreak
    What about it?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CustomSS1 View Post
    Wont you still be able to update from 5.0 to 5.0.1 via DFU, eventhough 5.1 is released?
    Nope, once 5.1 is out you can NOT update to anything but 5.1

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Update while you still can.
    Update while you still can really tells me nothing as you always have a window of a few hours to restore to the previous firmware after apple releases the latest firmware. But is see it in your first paragraph now that i re-read the article. I must not have seen it out of panic.
    Apples taste good. PwnApples taste better!

Thanks

My iPad is still jailbroken on 4.3.3, so I guess it's time to make the leap...

Will update tonight

+ Reply
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast