Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
01-13-2012, 02:59 PM #1
[Review] Make Spotlight More Useful With Commands
Spotlight can be extremely pointless; but, no more!
A good number of us don't use Spotlight. Some of us wish that we could just get rid of it - leading to several jailbreak tweaks that disable the feature. But, now there is a way to make Spotlight on iOS more useful with a free jailbreak tweak that just landed in Cydia today called CommandSpot by iOS developer coffeejay which lets you invoke actions based on the command that you enter into Spotlight. It's very useful because it can replace numerous toggle applications and it uses something that iOS already has built in without installing anything extra to make it possible.
Using the tweak is very simple. As you can see from the image above, you enter a command such as, "Respring" for instance, and your iDevice will respring. There are tons and tons of commands. All you do is type in the command and then tap enter on your keyboard and the command will activate. The list of commands is as follows:
- Bing: Launch Safari application and load Bing.com
- Cmd: Launch Safari application and load page that shows you a list of commands for CommandSpot
- CNN: Launch Safari application and load CNN.com
- Dev: Launch Twitter application on coffeejay's page for comments or questions
- Fb: Launch Facebook application
- Fb profile: Launch Facebook application and load your profile page
- Google: Launch Safari application and load Google.com
- Mail: Launch Mail application and compose new email
- Reboot: Restarts your device
- Respring: Respring your device
- Settings: Launch Settings application
- Sms: Launch Messages application and compose new message
- Turn off: Shuts down your device completely
- Tw: Launch Twitter application (Tweetbot and mobile site also supported if you don't have the Twitter application)
- Tw user: Launch Twitter application and allow you to search for a user
- Wifi: Launch Wi-Fi settings from Settings application
- Yahoo: Launch Safari application and load Yahoo.com
CommandSpot is great for not only substituting toggles, but it will also provide to you some shortcuts to your favorite social networking applications or favorite Web sites. You can always make suggestions to the developer if you feel that more Web sites should be added. Right now, he gives you the three top search engines and a news site. It's a good start. The best part about this tweak is that it gives one of the least respected parts of iOS some useful functionality.
The commands aren't difficult to remember and anyone could memorize them. If you don't remember them, you can type, "Cmd" and then hit enter to see all of the available commands for the tweak. I recommend this tweak for any iOS power users. If you simply like using your device for the GUI (graphical user interface), then typing words to get where you want to be probably won't be your thing. There are no settings to configure after installing it and no icons are added to your home screen. To stop this functionality from existing on your iDevice, you'll have to uninstall CommandSpot. It works fully with iOS 5 and will work on any jailbroken iDevice whether it be an iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad. Check it out!
Editor's Rating: 4/5
Are you going to download CommandSpot? Do you think that it might be useful for you? Share in the comments about any improvements you can think of.
Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 01-13-2012 at 03:31 PM.
01-13-2012, 03:06 PM #2
As soon as the Dreamteam releases the jailbreak (and makes my dream come true) for the A5, you bet your *** I'll get this.
01-13-2012, 03:46 PM #3
1 thing that would be AWESOME is an activator styled thing where you can enter your own commands and link it to an application or action.
So say you want to open Calculator or something, go into the settings, type "calc" for the action name, and then link it to calculator.
Or maybe your sleep/wake button is really sensitive and you don't like messing with it, type "sleep" and link it to lock device, and it locks it
01-13-2012, 04:53 PM #4
Promising, but I don't need it with the commands that are there right now. I have much quicker ways of launching those commands, and I don't need to type anything to do so. Getting to Spotlight and typing SMS is a slow way to compose a text.
01-13-2012, 05:02 PM #5
Wow what is spotlight? Jk I've had it disabled for so long you forget about it. Only now is it a little less useless but still not enough to enable it again.
01-13-2012, 05:07 PM #6
More commands and ability to have spotlight on every page would be needed
01-13-2012, 05:38 PM #7
So you would be typing in more than just typing "twi" tap top result for twitter and the app launches.
01-13-2012, 06:42 PM #8
01-13-2012, 06:55 PM #9
01-16-2012, 04:08 PM #10