+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Verizon's 4G LTE 'Demand' Raises Hopes and Doubts Among iPhone Loyalists

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Depending on whether you're an optimist or a pessimist, Verizon's announcement this week was either the best news you've heard in days or the worst. In case you missed it,
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Verizon's 4G LTE 'Demand' Raises Hopes and Doubts Among iPhone Loyalists

Depending on whether you're an optimist or a pessimist, Verizon's announcement this week was either the best news you've heard in days or the worst.

In case you missed it, Verizon has issued what amounts to a demand incumbent upon future smartphone makers. The "hard requirement," as the carrier puts it, aims to obligate all future smartphones on the Verizon network to support 4G LTE.

Without Verizon having even mentioned Apple's iPhone, the announcement suddenly became all about the iPhone. Naturally, some are taking this to mean that Apple's next gen-iPhone won't be carried by Verizon if it isn't 4G LTE friendly. Others, of course, take the news as a clear indication that Apple will embrace 4G LTE with the iPhone 5.

So before this debate goes any further, it's worth drawing attention to one little tidbit from Verizon's a announcement that was largely overlooked yesterday. The "requirement" isn't as hard and fast as it seems. That is, Verizon says exceptions will be made (no iPhone related details were given) and that consumers stand to benefit from the new policy.

Anyone who thinks Verizon will lose or give up the iPhone this year when the new model is unveiled is a significantly misguided individual. Despite what the rumor mill suggests, neither Verizon or Apple has given any indication that future iPhone models won't be carrier by Verizon. If anything, the announcement should come as a clear indication that Apple probably will push ahead toward 4G LTE with the next iPhone - a prospect that was rumored long before Verizon made its announcement on Wednesday.

Source: CNET

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

0% of chance Verizon losing the iPhone even if the i5 doesn't support 4G LTE. I like the policy though

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Verizon will make an exception with the iPhone, no doubt about it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Well then Verizon should have a self imposed "requirement" to actually HAVE LTE in MOST of the country. Otherwise if you live in a 3G only area but have an LTE phone you get none of the benefits of LTE and all of the battery drawbacks. I'm on AT&T but if I were on Verizon and they made me get an LTE iPhone but no LTE in my area or plans to build it, I would switch to a different carrier.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Next generation iPhone*
    Verizon also said "(almost) 'All' "

Quote Originally Posted by DJStile View Post
    Well then Verizon should have a self imposed "requirement" to actually HAVE LTE in MOST of the country. Otherwise if you live in a 3G only area but have an LTE phone you get none of the benefits of LTE and all of the battery drawbacks. I'm on AT&T but if I were on Verizon and they made me get an LTE iPhone but no LTE in my area or plans to build it, I would switch to a different carrier.

By the end of this current year Verizon Wireless plans on having 2/3rds of the us population covered in 4G. Plus no one is forcing you to buy the next iPhone, now that I think about it I had a 3GS with AT&T before there was att 3G in my home town. Did I make the Wong choice?
    Last edited by eightyk88; 01-12-2012 at 04:54 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Apple will say **** you or else they won't have a new feature to release with the iPhone 9.

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

It's stupid for apple not to implement 4G LTE this year. Both AT&T and Verizon which happen to be #1 & #2 Carriers of the iPhone have said that full LTE deployment will be completed by the end of 2013. So if they release It in October like they did with the 4s, your area will (a) have LTE or (b) get it within 14 months. If your in a small town you might not get it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    Apple will say **** you or else they won't have a new feature to release with the iPhone 9.
    Lol, honestly, I could see apple doing that.
    And theres NO way Verizon will drop support for the iPhone.
    This news doesnt really matter because it'll either be iPhone 4G, or another 3G anyways, with or without the rule.