+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: NPD: iOS Market Share Takes Huge Leap Forward

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default NPD: iOS Market Share Takes Huge Leap Forward

On Tuesday, market research firm NPD Group published the latest data with regard to leading smartphone operating systems and their respective market shares.

Incredibly, iOSís U.S. market share (in terms of sales) leaped from 26% in the third quarter of 2011 to 43% by fall (October and November). The firm says Android barely squeaked by in the lead with a 47% market share during those two months.

Android slipped precipitously from 60% in the third quarter of 2011.

Not surprisingly, NPD says the modern mobile landscape is a virtual one-on-one race between the iPhone maker and Google's Android platform. As smartphone sales continue to accelerate (smartphones made up 67 percent of all handset sales in October and November of 2011), NPD's data suggests that iOS and Android may consistently joust for first place within a few points of one another.

According to the most recent comScore data, Android and iOS now power a combined 75.6 percent of all smartphones in the United States.

Source: NPD

Thanks

That's not really a surprise considering the iPhone is now sold at 3 of the 4 big carriers (if you want to call T-mobile big) where as 6 months ago only AT&T sold it.

I know a lot of people who were with Sprint & Verizon because they hated AT&T and as soon as the iPhone 4S hit the market they quickly ditched their android device for the iPhone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    thats only because apple just came out with a new phone so of course they would have a huge jump in sales, and market share... i predict that next quarter, they will drop, and android will increase.. ... i LOVE that emotocon

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbrooks424 View Post
    thats only because apple just came out with a new phone so of course they would have a huge jump in sales, and market share... i predict that next quarter, they will drop, and android will increase.. ... i LOVE that emotocon
    Sorry, gonna have to roll with AUZ on this one. More carriers = more availability.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
    That's not really a surprise considering the iPhone is now sold at 3 of the 4 big carriers (if you want to call T-mobile big) where as 6 months ago only AT&T sold it.

I know a lot of people who were with Sprint & Verizon because they hated AT&T and as soon as the iPhone 4S hit the market they quickly ditched their android device for the iPhone.
    While I'd love to see the global numbers, I think this is a very accurate statement for the United States.

New, very hyped iPhone model plus more carriers equals massive iPhone sales. Massive iPhone sales apparently equals less Android device sales.

Whether or not iOS continues to maintain this level of market presence will be interesting to watch. Also, still very interested in seeing global figures (both in terms of hard consumer sales and market share).

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post

Tomorrow marks 1 year from when Verizon announced that they would be selling the iPhone 4 on their network the following February. "6 months ago" is a bit off the mark...

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Apple has one phone. . How many Android phones are they're ?