+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] Never Ever Miss the Chance to Take A Photo Again - Snappy Rewritten for iOS 5!

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Snappy is great for the average iDevice photographer. How often has this happened to you? You find something that you want to take a picture of and by the time
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 764 Posts

Default [Review] Never Ever Miss the Chance to Take A Photo Again - Snappy Rewritten for iOS 5!

Snappy is great for the average iDevice photographer.

How often has this happened to you? You find something that you want to take a picture of and by the time you get your Camera application open, the moment is gone. If this sounds like something that plagues you in your iDevice photography, then you need to check out a jailbreak tweak called Snappy5 for iOS 5+ by iOS developer Marc Vaillant. It will set you back $1.99, but it's worth having if you're a frequent photo snapper.

Snappy5 for iOS 5+ has been rewritten from its predecessor Snappy to support iOS 5 and was released today in Cydia. It lets you choose a few Activator actions that you can invoke to operate the features that Snapp5 for iOS 5+ has. It has four configurable options including, Snappy Camera (where you can launch the Camera application from any application with the picture switch enabled with an Activator action), Snappy Record On Launch (where you can launch the Camera application from any application and immediately start recording video to your Camera Roll with an Activator action), Snappy Snap On Launch (where you can launch the Camera application from any application and immediately snap a photograph to your Camera Roll with an Activator action), and last but not least Snappy Video (where you can launch the Camera application from any application with the video switch enabled with an Activator action). Whew, now that that long sentence is over... check out the Activator options for yourself:

Snappy5 for iOS 5+ will make it faster and more efficient to get straight to your Camera application and get a photograph taken in a heartbeat; before you miss the opportunity. It should be noted that Snappy5 for iOS 5+ will launch the camera from anywhere - even the lock screen. If you set an Activator action that is faster than double pressing the home button and then tapping the Camera button (iOS 5 only) and then waiting for the camera to load, you might find that Snappy is actually quicker. Snappy5 for iOS 5+ does have a couple of settings which you can see in the image below:

The three settings are Camera roll from lock, Override camera mode, and exit after snap on launch. My favorite is Exit after snap on launch because as soon as Snappy5 for iOS 5+ takes a photograph, the Camera application closes, making the photo taking as clandestine as possible. Your friend might ask what you just did, but they have no proof that you took a picture of them until you admit it because your phone will look just like it did before invoking the Activator action to take a photograph. The animations are fluid and definitely not laggy by any means. It also adds an icon to your home screen. If you bought the original Snappy that is completely incompatible with iOS 4, then you can download Snappy5 for iOS 5+ absolutely free. Take note that Snappy5 for iOS 5+ does not work on any firmware below iOS 5, so older firmware users will still need to use the original Snappy. We are really excited for the rewrite of Snappy!

I talked to Marc to learn a little about himself and the motivation behind the tweak:

Anthony: Could you tell us a little about the tweak, what urged you to create it, and tell us a little about yourself such as the goals you're trying to achieve in life and how you became a developer for iOS?
    Marc: The original motivation was that I found myself doing a lot of fumbling to find and launch the camera when I was trying to capture moments. It took too long and I'd often miss the photo opportunity. Particularly ones with my kids, who are impatient. Snappy was designed to give you immediate access to the camera, from anywhere, and without forcing you to exit or suspend your current app. iOS 5 finally brings you access from the lock screen natively, but still doesn't provide access from running apps, or from springboard's icon management screens. So, I decided to keep Snappy going. The iOS 5 version is a rewrite because lots changed in the firmwares since I originally released Snappy. I got into jailbreak development early, before Apple decided to release a public SDK. I work as CTO and scientific programmer for a small facial recognition company (Animetrics) and I wanted to do a mobile client for our system. Also, I had wanted to do a Morse code keyboard replacement for a smart phone which led to my first public tweak iDitDahText.

Name: Snappy5 for iOS 5+
    Price: $1.99
    Version: 3.0.0
    Developer: Marc Vaillant
    Repo: BigBoss
    Editor's Rating:  4/5

Are you going to download and use the completely rewritten Snappy5 for iOS 5+ for your photography moments? Share in the comments.

Sources: Marc Vaillant
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 01-09-2012 at 10:04 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone spooneditr's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmmm

Your mom has "spirit" but I used my "pwnage tool" on her all night long and "ultrasn0wed" all over her. haha

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spooneditr View Post
    Hmmm

with the native 'double tap home button' on lockscreen to pop-up the camera icon that apple has implemented. I don't see any use for 3rd party app.

... but i did also activate the 'short hold volume up' opens camera with activator.

Thanks

This sounds really cool, I think I'll be buying this soon!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pete.heat View Post
    with the native 'double tap home button' on lockscreen to pop-up the camera icon that apple has implemented. I don't see any use for 3rd party app.

... but i did also activate the 'short hold volume up' opens camera with activator.
    Snappy opens the camera up WAY faster than the lockscreen camera. you do not have to wait for it to load up, its literally available to snap a photo within a second. I haven't tried it on ios5 yet (going to dl now), but when I had it on ios4 it was a TON better than the stock camera app.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom7 View Post
    This sounds really cool, I think I'll be buying this soon!
    Or you can get Tasker for free from the appstore and customize MANY other options.

*T*
    Thanks

Not worth it. It might save you a few seconds or so, but u should just have the camera out already. By the time u get the phone out of ur pocket, or iPad out of your specially modified iPad pocket, the moment will be over

Green Apple
    Thanks

If the app can override the native camera app. why not just make it a tweak? like integrate it into the camera app instead of wasting another space in the home screen. now i have to hide snappy via SB-Settings...hehe.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pete.heat View Post

I agree to that. How many situations will occur where you really need your camera that fast (while using any other app e.g.)? And then, will your iPhone camera really deliver you the picture you would like/need?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by killakill View Post
    Or you can get Tasker for free from the appstore and customize MANY other options.
    Tasker is .99 in the AppStore and has nothing to do with the camera