+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Make Your iPhone Waterproof With Liquipel Coating

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Make Your iPhone Waterproof With Liquipel Coating

A company named Liquipel is claiming that it can make our smartphone water resistant by bonding it inside and out with a “nano” coating which repels water. It sounds too good to be true but it seems like this company is the real deal. While not meant for deep sea diving, it’s the perfect solution for those who are clumsy or prone to partying too hard.

Some of you are probably already sold on the idea and are probably wondering how to get your iPhone coated. For now, you’ll have to send your device off to Liquipel for a few days for them to coat it. The good news here is that the company is seeking to work directly with manufacturers to integrate their coating before you buy a phone in which case, you’d buy a water resistant phone automatically. We wouldn’t be surprised to see Apple licensing or acquiring this technology and implementing it as soon as possible though. I am curious to see how this would pan out though for the general public interested in signing a contract with a carrier for their iPhone. Buying a waterproof iPhone from AT&T, Sprint, or Verizon sounds like it could be a very successful idea.

Although the coating won’t help those of you who drop your iPhones onto hard surfaces, it’ll definitely prevent spills and splashes from causing harm to your device. As of right now, the Liquipel coating will set you back $59 and a 1-2 day turnaround for the coating to be applied. For those of you who don’t own an iPhone and are also interested in getting your device coated, it might be good to know that the iPhone isn’t the only smartphone supported.

Last but not least, for those of you who are skeptical about the effectiveness of the coating, check out the video below:

If you still aren’t a believer, you can check out a whole slew of videos on Liquipel’s YouTube channel.

Are any of you going to be sending in your iPhone to get coated? Share any thoughts and opinions below!

Source: Liquipel, YouTube

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

My iPhone is a Part of Me gdd2010's Avatar
    in a barred spiral galaxy on the Cepheus-Draco border
    Thanks

Great! Now I have no excuse to limiting my son to the freebee iPhones.

What's Jailbreak? dennisdionisio's Avatar
    Thanks

cool. but what if the phone needs to be repaired and has to be opened. do you need to have it recoated?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Finally, beer resistant iPhone!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Ahh I must have this!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dennisdionisio View Post
    cool. but what if the phone needs to be repaired and has to be opened. do you need to have it recoated?
    Why would that matter? It's not a case sealant.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This sounds pretty great, almost to great to be true. But before you get your iPhone a water-resistant coating I would rather think about not getting it to wet anyways.

Green Apple
    Thanks

That's pretty awesome. Might have to do this. Just sent to a friend who has already lost two to underwater activities...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by georgeD View Post
    This sounds pretty great, almost to great to be true. But before you get your iPhone a water-resistant coating I would rather think about not getting it to wet anyways.
    Lol.. I know what you mean.. I travelled to the USA from Canada to get the iphone 1 and dropped it into my lake 3 months later. Waste of money. MY old iphone fell into the sink while doing dishes again this would have helped.. Im pretty sure next my phone is heading for the toilet and it should be prepared.

Fish are friends, not food!
    Neither is Slow Internet.

Thanks

This is brilliant. If they can get this to Europe, I'm buying.

The scratch resistant coating sounds good as long as it doesn't affect the feel. I hate the crappy screen protectors you get off eBay (yes, that includes the ZAGG invisibleSHIELD) as they really spoil it for me.

Thanks

pretty impressive. I wonder how it would fair in extended period tests though.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

I've been watching this company for a while... I really hope that the big Apple will take interest in this. It's a brilliant product as long as the coating doesn't eventually fade off or something. Imagine if Apple released their next iPhone and in the commercial it showed people swimming and video taping their children in the pool/ocean and underwater and stuff like that... everyone would be like... And then ...

iPhone? More like MyPhone rokindeez's Avatar
    Thanks

Would this void my warranty?

Thanks

Default Awesome product....
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleye View Post
    I've been watching this company for a while... I really hope that the big Apple will take interest in this. It's a brilliant product as long as the coating doesn't eventually fade off or something. Imagine if Apple released their next iPhone and in the commercial it showed people swimming and video taping their children in the pool/ocean and underwater and stuff like that... everyone would be like... And then ...
    I LOVE This Item, and will gladly pay $60 to waterproof my i4S. But aren't they worried Apple will buy them and then sideline the business? Why would apple want to lose all of the business they get from water damaged iPhones. That is HUGE business for Apple.... I hope that doesn't happen but I can see it now...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Oh man this is amazing. Sign me up!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitsson View Post
    This is brilliant. If they can get this to Europe, I'm buying.

The scratch resistant coating sounds good as long as it doesn't affect the feel. I hate the crappy screen protectors you get off eBay (yes, that includes the ZAGG invisibleSHIELD) as they really spoil it for me.
    ZaGg already has this technology. They use it on their aquaBuds, which you can literally go swimming with. They couldn't push it to other devices because of a patent strangle from Apple. Hope liquipel doesn't get crushed by the apple.

k3u
    Thanks

I can see Apple and other companies taking advantage of this!
    Now with this combined with a nice case.
    Your phone is almost indestructible! :P

Thanks

So do they also coat the inside, all the electrical's? I don't understand how you can completely submerge the thing, and not have a sealed outer shell, and not get any water damage.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

That's wild. I wonder how it seals the speakers and mic without affecting the sound.

This would have saved my 3GS from water I spilled on it.. It still worked but the backlight went out making it really hard to see!

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Impressive.