+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Make Your iPhone Waterproof With Liquipel Coating

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by Nitsson This is brilliant. If they can get this to Europe, I'm buying. The scratch resistant coating sounds good as long as it doesn't affect the feel.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitsson View Post
    This is brilliant. If they can get this to Europe, I'm buying.

The scratch resistant coating sounds good as long as it doesn't affect the feel. I hate the crappy screen protectors you get off eBay (yes, that includes the ZAGG invisibleSHIELD) as they really spoil it for me.
    Take a look at Wrapsol... I used to use ZAGG and I didn't like the feel of it also. Wrapsol is really smooth and they have great support. I've had to have a couple replaced over the years and they have no problem with that... I only had to pay shipping...(which makes sense to me)...here's their link... wrapsol | strongest, smoothest + most durable protective film wraps and screen protectors for iphone, ipod, macbook, blackberry, nokia, lg, samsung, sony, htc, and more.

Take it easy...

Thanks
    So, the $60 coating prevents the water going magically through the plastic cover?
    It's the little gaps, connector holes, mic and speakers that make a electronic devices prone to water damage! Not the fabric of the cover!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Water resistant != Waterproof

iPhone? More like MyPhone spintek's Avatar
    Thanks

Impressive. How long is the guarantee for it? Office looks sick too.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rokindeez View Post
    Would this void my warranty?
    Wouldn't be surprised if it did

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Looks incredibly similar to NeverWet. An iPhone was in a bowl of water for over 30 minutes and completely unaffected.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Very cool! Looks like the same thing over at KickStarter... Electronic Waterproof Polymer Coating by JimBoto — Kickstarter
    Seems like everyone had the same idea at the same time?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I knew it was to good to be true. F.A.Q from the site. I went and looked for some sort of replacement guaranty but they do not provide one.

What is Liquipel?
    Liquipel is a Nano coating that protects your device from accidental water damage.
    My device has been Liquipelled;
    can I take it swimming or surfing?
    NO! Just because your device has been further protected does not mean it can be used in this way. It is similar to buying a case for your device and asking to throw it at the ground. It is just common sense to try and take care of your device. If you want to do this you need a specialty bulky case. Liquipel is a preventative coating to help protect from accidental water exposure.

What do you mean when you say “accidental water exposure”?
    Accidental water exposure refers to the situations that cause most electronics to become water damaged. Liquipel was designed as a preventative coating to help guard against rain, spills, baby drool and short term submersion such as the sink or toilet (though we hope you never find out). These scenarios comprise most of the water damage that happens to electronics.
    If my electronic is accidentally exposed to water after being Liquipelled what do I do?
    Do not panic! Please follow the aftercare instructions such as drying the device as much as possible, powering down the unit (if it is not an emergency and you do not need to make a call), removing the battery and battery cover if possible and not restarting until it has dried. Please note not to charge your device for 24 hours until it has dried out.

Thanks

Seems something most portable electronics should have when we buy them in the near future. Also reminded me of this water repellant video Ross Nanotechnology's NeverWet superhydrophobic spray-on coating - YouTube

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Greatbiguns View Post
    I LOVE This Item, and will gladly pay $60 to waterproof my i4S. But aren't they worried Apple will buy them and then sideline the business? Why would apple want to lose all of the business they get from water damaged iPhones. That is HUGE business for Apple.... I hope that doesn't happen but I can see it now...
    I wouldn't exactly consider it a HUGE business. Of all the people I know with iPhones, I can only think of one off the top of my head who had to replace a phone due to water damage. I would imagine that the increased sales by offering a waterproof smart phone would be greater than the business lost from replaced phones.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I wonder what it does to your warranty? Could Apple use the fact that you have 'modified' the device to wriggle out of replacing a defective phone? As to whether they would ever adopt it.... Water ingression is the single biggest factor in phone deaths so all companies are having to balance customer sattisfaction with re sales- the old build in obsolescence design flaw issue. Having said that iphones are much better than most at surviving water damage, I have first hand anecdotes of iphones dropped in lakes and going through the washing machine and still working to some extent

Thanks

wish i had liquipelled my phone over the summer before i jumped into my pool with it. would have saved me a lot of anger and frustration

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I wouldn't mind apple buying the company and perfect the technology and sell water repellant iphones making the owner of the company rich and the customers happy

Thanks

The electronics technician in me wonders how they maintain a useable electrical connection in the connection port without allowing the water to short the pins........
    Yeah everything else, go ahead, plastic coat it in whatever 'nano' product you like and its still useable.

Thanks

I saw this at a convention. They have national contracts with a few of the big hearing aid companies. The number one problem with hearing aids the guy told me was that people get out of the shower in the morning and put them in their ears before they are dry enough. This causes damage to the electronics.

The demo the guy used was two Kleenex's. The one was not treated and the other was. First the untreated one went in and came out just as you would expect. Then he handed you a treated one and asked you to put your hand in the water with it. It came out exactly as it went in(DRY). The cool thing was that you could not tell them apart by look or touch. Anyway the guy said someday they wanted to put them in malls so you could get anything coated.

Thanks

i havent read any other comments but if someone hasnt already mentioned...

I can see Apple and other companies taking Liquipel to court over some "patent infringement" BS. You know how much money these smart people make due to our carelessness?! Alot!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Did you notice they need the headphone jack plugged with a headset? They cant seal the headphone jack which means if it falls in a puddle without a headset plugged in youre screwed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alcala315 View Post
    Did you notice they need the headphone jack plugged with a headset? They cant seal the headphone jack which means if it falls in a puddle without a headset plugged in youre screwed.
    i noticed that too but the last few seconds they unplug and play again in water. I guess we can assume since there is also a sensor at the bottom where the device charges, that this device kept playing under water....I will be surprised if this company succeeds. especially with apple suing everyone these days...

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Would really like to get this done to my iPhone.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Is there anyone daring enough to try this and test it yet? Does it really work?

Quote Originally Posted by alcala315 View Post
    I'm pretty sure water can go through the port even with the headset is plugged in. So what your saying makes absolutely no sense at all. Have you seen the video of them testing the iPhone 4 without the headset plugged in?

Quote Originally Posted by x_IMMORTAL_x View Post
    I knew it was to good to be true. F.A.Q from the site. I went and looked for some sort of replacement guaranty but they do not provide one.

What is Liquipel?
    Liquipel is a Nano coating that protects your device from accidental water damage.
    My device has been Liquipelled;
    can I take it swimming or surfing?
    NO! Just because your device has been further protected does not mean it can be used in this way. It is similar to buying a case for your device and asking to throw it at the ground. It is just common sense to try and take care of your device. If you want to do this you need a specialty bulky case. Liquipel is a preventative coating to help protect from accidental water exposure.

What do you mean when you say “accidental water exposure”?
    Accidental water exposure refers to the situations that cause most electronics to become water damaged. Liquipel was designed as a preventative coating to help guard against rain, spills, baby drool and short term submersion such as the sink or toilet (though we hope you never find out). These scenarios comprise most of the water damage that happens to electronics.
    If my electronic is accidentally exposed to water after being Liquipelled what do I do?
    Do not panic! Please follow the aftercare instructions such as drying the device as much as possible, powering down the unit (if it is not an emergency and you do not need to make a call), removing the battery and battery cover if possible and not restarting until it has dried. Please note not to charge your device for 24 hours until it has dried out.
    Yeah the FAQ on the website makes me think the product isn't very promising.
    Last edited by xclusiveiphone; 01-09-2012 at 08:38 PM.